Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Is Orbx Landmarks Paris/London even worth it now?

Since WU3 and now WU4 we now have proper updates to the pg cities of London and Paris. Is OrbX still necessary in order to get nice visuals? I'm not sure which route to go with for the more visually appealing and more immersive experience. How do the default updated pg cities look compared to the OrbX ones?

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If I have the OrbX London Landmarks installed it messes up the photogrammetry. So no, it's not worth it IMO.

• Upvote 1

Since Orbx updated London to be compatible with the update I have had no issues.   It was a mess when first updated but they fixed it.

Paris not so sure, have not flown their since the update.

Paris is still not compatible with WU4.
On their forum, ORBX said they are working on an update, like they did for London.

• Like 3

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

Since WU3 and now WU4 we now have proper updates to the pg cities of London and Paris. Is OrbX still necessary in order to get nice visuals? I'm not sure which route to go with for the more visually appealing and more immersive experience. How do the default updated pg cities look compared to the OrbX ones?

In my opinion payware add-ons for scenery don't make sense anymore for MSFS. I would rather invest money in aircraft.

Even in areas not covered by the world updates, the scenery is credible and and it's possible to fly VFR following roads, rivers, recognizing even small villages etc.

If you are interested in real simming and not flying at 20 m distance from famous landmarks, the default scenery should be more than satisfying.

• Like 12

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

29 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

If you are interested in real simming and not flying at 20 m distance from famous landmarks, the default scenery should be more than satisfying.

Are you saying flying upside down through the Eiffel Tower and landing on top of the Arc de Triomphe  does not count as real simming ?

• Like 3

I'd say as long as they don't implement military intervention for flying into a restricted area above cities like Paris and London, these add ons still make sense.

But as soon as you get shot out of the air for buzzing the Eiffel Tower I'll reconsider my stance. 😉

• Like 1

It is also my opinion, the landmarks of ORBX are no longer useful, will be the same with that of Singapore, Brisbane...

• Like 2

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

12 hours ago, David Roch said:

Paris is still not compatible with WU4.
On their forum, ORBX said they are working on an update, like they did for London.

5 hours ago, guibru said:

It is also my opinion, the landmarks of ORBX are no longer useful, will be the same with that of Singapore, Brisbane...

Which makes the fact that they are putting Paris in the WU 4 sale slightly dubious, certainly until they can confirm it is compatible.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

12 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Are you saying flying upside down through the Eiffel Tower and landing on top of the Arc de Triomphe  does not count as real simming ?

Both are definitely on my to do list! 🙂. Grande Arche was a facile warmup.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

it might be worth it if you're a resident of the area or have a special interest to this one,  that you want to see it as close as possible to the real thing.

In turn, it will be very helpful when choppers ( real payware ) make their great appearance in MSFS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, guibru said:

I think fortunately/unfortunately the likes of Brisbane will still have value for some time as I can't see there being an Australia World Update anytime in the near future

50 minutes ago, mccracken said:

I think fortunately/unfortunately the likes of Brisbane will still have value for some time as I can't see there being an Australia World Update anytime in the near future

It’s gonna happen faster than you think, if not this year early next year. With a WU every 2 months it goes fast.

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

As a former resident, I would say the London pack is good value for money as a lot of London's buildings have architectural features / colours etc. that photogrammetry can't represent very well, it's periodically updated, and pretty cheap.

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 4

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I'm not expecting an Asobo Aus or Bris update anytime soon, so Orbx Brisbane definitely worthwhile for me (as an Aussie local).