Sign in to follow this  
JU108

AMD 6800xt vs Terrain LoD

I have AMD CPU 5600x, MSI Radeon 6800xt and 32Gb of RAM (Viper 3200). SAM is enabled in BIOS, as well as CPU PBO. Developers FPS counter says I am GPU limited.

Tried various settings in MSFS and seems that the only setting that has significant impact on FPS is Terrain Level of Detail, regardless of other settings.

When, for example, at LYBE default scenery (tried EGNX and other various default airports) I get 28-30FPS at Ultra settings sitting in CJ4 og FBW A320 on runway with all systems powered up. That is at 2560x1440 resolution. Trying the same at EDDF or EGLL gives 20ish FPS.

I was surprised that even when lowering resolution to 1024x768 (not only rendering), with the same Terrain LoD, and would get identical FPS and still saying GPU limited.

Antialiasing, etc. gives negligable FPS increase. Even at LOW display settings, but with high Terrain LoD, the fps will stay the same.

I am running MSFS with latest updates, as well as CJ4 and FBW.

Am I doing something obviously wrong, or is it that the GPU is subpar, or is that just MSFS? 🙂

Silly question, but you do not have by chance VSYNC on, do you? What does the developers FPS counter says in regard of ms for the GPU comparing 1440p with 720p? And how many ms you have under CPU? 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Silly question, but you do not have by chance VSYNC on, do you? What does the developers FPS counter says in regard of ms for the GPU comparing 1440p with 720p? And how many ms you have under CPU? 

Yes, I have VSYNC on and FPS limiter set to 60 - mistake?

FPS counter varies between 20 and 35ms for GPU and less than 10ms for CPU, regardless of 1440p vs 720p as long as the Terrain LoD is identical.

To be GPU limited is a much better than CPU limited, I think most of us with high performance PC's are GPU limited, I have found out that Terrain Level of Detail, Volumetric Clouds and Cockpit rendering are the most performance hogs in the game.

Try setting V-sync to 30, which will cause the game to lock your fps at half the refresh rate of your monitor, if you set it to 20 it will be locked by a third because the game uses adaptive V-sync.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

16 minutes ago, JU108 said:

Yes, I have VSYNC on and FPS limiter set to 60 - mistake?

Well, with VSYNC you will never get anything above 60FPS, so yes, for such tests, I would definitively turn off VSYNC.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS