Sign in to follow this  
JonP01

Version and licence question

14 hours ago, GSalden said:

Why would you want to buy an older version ? 

Oldies but goodies.

- TONY -

23 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Oldies but goodies.

With V5 around new products will probably be V5 only so little by little V4 will fade away.

If you have it : very good sim. If you are at the point of buying a P3D version : buy the latest.

• Upvote 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I see this exactly like Gerard already said. 

If your hardware is capable...definitely V5....

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Since a few have asked, my hardware really isn't what I would want to throw at v5. I built an "interim" machine last year as my very old machine simply died of old age (was nearly 10 years old) but I did not really wish to devote a lot of funding to it due to the economic uncertainties we have suffered lately.

So I just built a middle of the road machine using decent midrange parts - Ryzen 2700+ and 2060 Super being the main protagonists.

My intention is to go to P3D when I build my next machine which this time round will be just one rung down from the absolute state of the art (which is normally what I would have built in the past).

I realise v5 is probably GPU intensive so the GPU is something I am particularly going to concentrate funding on. Looking back, the last time I ever bought  a "high end" GPU was a 3DFX Voodoo 5500 back in early 2000! It's been midrange stuff since then but next time around I want to get something one step down only from the absolute best (which is where I think you hit the sweet spot if you are a keen flight simmer).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonP01 said:

Since a few have asked, my hardware really isn't what I would want to throw at v5. I built an "interim" machine last year as my very old machine simply died of old age (was nearly 10 years old) but I did not really wish to devote a lot of funding to it due to the economic uncertainties we have suffered lately.

So I just built a middle of the road machine using decent midrange parts - Ryzen 2700+ and 2060 Super being the main protagonists.

My intention is to go to P3D when I build my next machine which this time round will be just one rung down from the absolute state of the art (which is normally what I would have built in the past).

I realise v5 is probably GPU intensive so the GPU is something I am particularly going to concentrate funding on. Looking back, the last time I ever bought  a "high end" GPU was a 3DFX Voodoo 5500 back in early 2000! It's been midrange stuff since then but next time around I want to get something one step down only from the absolute best (which is where I think you hit the sweet spot if you are a keen flight simmer).

I your case I would still go for v5. You are able to influence the VRAM, CPU and GPU very well by using the in sim options. And we all expect some improvements from LM regarding a better VRAM management because lots of users had or have initial issues. 

V5 is just the up to date version and uses DX12...wich is promising for future updates. 

Don't hesitate to ask for further information if needed. 

The most community members are glad to help onboarding new users and share thoughts. The good and the bad ones sure. 

But I am sure you will have more joy on V5......and v5.X is still in development...

Recent posts from LM devs over at their public forum stated that some updates are planned for the next release.....

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

9 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Recent posts from LM devs over at their public forum stated that some updates are planned for the next release.....

Marcus, without the need to search through all latest topic posts could you tell in a few short words which the updates are ?

Thanks.

Regards, Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

The only reason I can possibly see for going to 4.5 as a new user (as opposed to sticking with it when you already have it) is that you want to use add-ons that are absolutely not compatible with v5. Thankfully that's now a pretty short list. Or you have a GPU that just can't run DX12 or that has <6GB VRAM. P3Dv5 is certainly capable of overwhelming your hardware no matter what spec you have - it's all a question of settings. But frankly you can say the same about 4.5 and every version before that. About the only true significant difference is the DX12 vs DX11 issue and that primarily hinges on whether you have a card that can do DX12.1 and how much VRAM you have. At lower settings, even 6GB should be fine although 8GB would be better. 

(I can maybe better understand the desire not to update from an already well-running 4.5 system. But even that is overly-cautious in my view when there are such dramatic performance gains to be made from moving to v5. And you can always run them side-by-side for a while.)

• Like 3

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Marcus, without the need to search through all latest topic posts could you tell in a few short words which the updates are ?

Thanks.

Regards, Gerard

The feedback came from Beau Hollis in Public Forum  and where mainly related to layering issues (Water, Coastlines, Shadows and Reflections, Taxilines). 

They where visible very good in VR but count also partly for 2d Screen (shader issues by transferring\changing CODE from DX11 to DX12)

Answers this your question Gerard? Or did you ment something else?

I am only allowed to talk about those public topics. 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

56 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

The feedback came from Beau Hollis in Public Forum  and where mainly related to layering issues (Water, Coastlines, Shadows and Reflections, Taxilines). 

They where visible very good in VR but count also partly for 2d Screen (shader issues by transferring\changing CODE from DX11 to DX12)

Answers this your question Gerard? Or did you ment something else?

I am only allowed to talk about those public topics. 

Marcus

Thanks for mentioning this Marcus 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

P3Dv5 is certainly capable of overwhelming your hardware no matter what spec you have - it's all a question of settings. But frankly you can say the same about 4.5 and every version before that.

So is it possible to directly configure v5 to basically "emulate" what v4 would have delivered by simply turning off or reducing options? And then turn them up again when the hardware can cope better?

12 minutes ago, JonP01 said:

So is it possible to directly configure v5 to basically "emulate" what v4 would have delivered by simply turning off or reducing options? And then turn them up again when the hardware can cope better?

Not exactly. V5 is DX12 and V4.x DX11. You can't go to DX11 in V5. DX12 is more GPU bound. So with less powerful GPU and less VRAM you can ran into performance issues.

But those VRAM hungry options can be tuned quite good in v5. One of them is the new TrueSky enhanced Atmospherics. Also known as EA. This can be turned off to use legacy 2d clouds and less performance hungry sky textures....if needed! 

I am quite sure P3D V5 will give you more joy and better FPS also. Also this is the platform wich will be updated with further releases. 

Hope this helps. 

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

59 minutes ago, JonP01 said:

With your 2060, you really do not have much to worry about :cool:

V5 will make good use of your GPU and in the process, less is required of your CPU to produce smooth flight.

And as mentioned above, you can turn off EA if you like... I leave it on. (On a GTX 1070).

• Like 1

Bert

16 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Have been looking at this myself, as much as I prefer the sky & lighting in p3d5 I am reluctant to make the jump since 2 of the 4 aircraft I fly in p3d don't work in v5.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron