Sign in to follow this  
Guest nels

New .NET 3 Framework inproves performance in FSx??

People in the Vista Australis (VOZ) forum have been claiming improved performance after installing .NET 3. I was sceptical - as I couldn't really see why that would be so. I installed it last night - and now I am beginning to wonder if there is in fact something in it. Like a lot of these things - including lots of so called "fixes" , I do have to wonder if the perceived improvement in performance is in the imagination of the user. In this case, it seems to have given me a few FPS more in one particualrly difficult area . Anybody here at AVSIM tried it?Barry

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Thanks for the info...Note however the following as shown on the MS d/l page :QteSystem Requirements * Supported Operating Systems: Longhorn (Windows Code Name) ; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2For customers that already have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed, this .NET Framework 3.0 redistributable package installs only the new Windows Vista components. This ensures that any .NET Framework 2.0-based applications work seamlessly when the .NET Framework 3.0 is installed, with no application migration or updates of any kind required.UnQteGeorge DorkofikisAthens, Hellashttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/811520/1704.png

Guest diajohn2

No change for me. Must be a downunder thing.

Installing the .Net 3 Framework didn't seem to make any difference to my FSX performance and I am down under. I'm in NSW so it must be a State thing!:)

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I doubt that the Framework would make a difference. The .NET Framework is for managed code. I'm pretty sure that most of FSX is straight C++ and not managed (for performance reasons). I could be wrong though.

Guest Stoopy

Caution! Anyone running Windows Media Center Edition needs to be sure to stay AWAY from it...so far, two people in our corner of the 'world' have run into serious problems, and this update does not apply to that version of XP.As an aside, I'm using a fairly well-proven process to validate the effectiveness of new 'tweaks' from this point. Because as we all know, sometimes the placebo effect kicks in, and/or claims of gaining '5 FPS' are difficult to actually measure.So any way I'm now using a standardized test flight, replayed in real-time via FS Recorder, and FRAPS logging. If anyone is interested in the results with this particular tweak, or the technique to quantatively measure it, they're here:http://com-central.net/index.php?name=Foru...iewtopic&t=5787In short, while it may make a difference for some, I have no change either on my system and it's rather nice to have hard data that can show it either way.

Guest NWjetflyer

What I have found that .NET 3 framework makes FSX run better because the multiplayer functions run on it. If you do not have .NET when you install FSX you get configuration problems.

Nope, no .NET used in the Multiplayer code, all C and C++ native code (like the rest of FSX). The only .NET related part of FSX is the managed wrapper for the SimConnect API (which doesn't run inside FSX but inside the SimConnect client application). FSX doesn't load any managed assemblies within its own process space.About the only reason I can think that installing something like this might give you a performance boost is if it happened to modify some system setting that caused stuff to function differently than it had been, or maybe changes load order and memory use of other parts of the system, etc.Timhttp://beatlesblog.spaces.live.com

MS says it's for Windows XP (sp2). Hum?!I wonder what will stop working?Who has install .Net v3 and survived?

Guest NWjetflyer

Whatever it did on my system it worked. I metioned this in another thread but I was about to toss FSX in the trash. This addition plus others from this forum and my searches on the web have made all the difference.

>Whatever it did on my system it worked. I metioned this in>another thread but I was about to toss FSX in the trash. This>addition plus others from this forum and my searches on the>web have made all the difference.>>>You need to be really sure.You said "plus others".Maybe one of the others did the improvement.

I installed .Net v3 over v2 and it does nothing for anything as far as I can tell.

Guest Phil75070

>I installed .Net v3 over v2 and it does nothing for anything>as far as I can tell.Ditto.

Guest NWjetflyer

The .NET install was the only major upgrade I did before reinstalling FSX the other tweaks were to my vid card and settings. I haven't altered the cfg file or replaced/resized textures. I used to only get between 4 to 12fps taking off from SeaTac airport. My other tweaks were settings in the sim. I performed these with prior installs to no avail. Now I get between 12-18fps when taking off. Still a bit choppy,which is fine since KSEA is one of the superdetailed airports. If I want pure performance I can reduce autogen now where before I had to kill it and turn all graphics and scenery to low just to get a usable but still choppy frame rate. I am now convinced when I first installed FSX my initial setups were corrupted, I am not a programming guru but it's the most likely culprit.