Sign in to follow this  
Guest alfredmanning

AA applicaton controlled?

Guest The Wizard of Oz

I posted on this aspect some time ago and have found the following on my system ( AMD 4200+, 7900GT, TripleHead2Go with 3 LCD

Guest Len

>According to NVidia and one of the Aces blogs(maybe it was>FSInsider.com) - AA should be controlled by FSX for best>performance and visuals.>>Vic>>Visit the Virtual Pilot's Center>www.flightadventures.com>>http://www.hifisim.com/>Active Sky V6 Proud Supporter>Radar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/And it's poor advice if we don't know how much AA is being utilized: 2x;4x, etc. I'd rather control it from the video card. And I've flown back and forth with FSX AA checked and not checked with my ATI card doing the AA and I see no discernible difference in fps except for the fact if I have my card set to AA 2x or 4x it appears to have better performance than leaving it checked in FSX.

I noticed the jaggies the other day. I had AA set to 4x on my card (Albatron 8800GTX), but as soon as I went to application controlled they went away.struck me as odd...but I'm leaving it that way for now.Jeff

Jeff Hunter

Guest vas_yan

It appears as if the FSX setting corresponds to 4x in terms of visuals and performance. So I set it to 2x manually. Visuals are a bit worse but performance is much improved on my 7900GS (570/1740).Regards,

I'm with you Larry, though mines the 6800XT, I run AF and AA in FSX, not in the forceware, it works so much betterIn FS9 though, I forced the AA and AF

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest thedoggg

Tried application controlled, looks worse (more jaggies) than when I set it 4X AA, 16X AF in the NVidia control panel and performance is similar with my 7900GTX.REgards, Carlos

I have a couple of 7800GTX boards installed (current drivers) and have tried the internal AA and I use 16SLIAA which is definitely superior for eliminating all the rough edges particularly the airfield taxiway markings at obtuse angles. I have observed no discernable difference in performance betwen these two methods.However, it appears that the SLIAA doesn't work in Windowed mode as the virtual cockpit gets jaggies around the edges, this doesn't worry me because I use full screen VC all the time. I note that no other posters have commented on Windows/Fullscreen modes. Of course bitmapped objects such as auxilliary windows (e.g. Shift-1 through Shift 9) look terrible because they are not subject to AA.As for the mixed messages that have been quoted I don't think that there is any one rule to satisfy all. Any advice which Nvidia or Aces give must, by necesity, be generalised so each user must find their own sweet spot.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

18x AA ???????Its a typo.. Its 16X.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I don't think there is any "all encompassing" answer here.I have a Dell D810 laptop 1.86 Penitum M, 64MB ATI X300 mobility, 2GB ram and my machine turns into a slide show when I use FSX based AA. I haven't tested if there's a difference with hardware AA on or off, but it looks fine to me. I run at 1920 x 1200.I suggest testing on your machine and choosing what you like best.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Being an nvidia owner myself, I have noticed that setting AA and AF IN FSX results in a better image quality and FPS experience...I set them to app controlled in my CPa note too: nVidia wrote that MS designed it this way, let FSX handle the AA and AF....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

18x AA???...and I thought it was some new setting for 8800's in SLI. :)18x sounds like some oddball ATI Catalyst stuff though. Weird Catalyst AA's like 6x AA and all that. RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've got my 7900 GTX's in SLi mode, and I've tried AFR, SFR, and using the SLi for 16x AA. So far, in FS 9 I get a big performance jump using AFR1 and AFR2 over SLi AA... In FSX however, the load on the GPU's seems to be less, and the laod on the CPU is more than FS9.

Guest alfredmanning

I have checked the AA option in FSX and checked the "Enhance in-game AA setting" on my nVidia 6800 Ultra card with AA at 8x on the card.

Guest cess746sp

I have the same exact problem. I'm using a 9800 Pro Radeon (old card). I've installed the latest drivers, rebooted, exit out of fsx and changed the settings. No matter what I do, the card's drivers have no effect on AA or AF. However, if I crank up FS9, the card's drivers do have an effect.Makes me wonder if ACES included code for certain video boards to only allow AA and AF to be controlled from FSX.