Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Flightsim Chair - Looks Interesting

59 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Hrumph! Years ago I did as that very smart Dogmanbird fellow has done (and you can too) - get yourself a used car seat from the wreckers and mount it on a sheet of 3/4" plywood, with whatever 2 x 4's you need for height & 'slide-ability', then mount the rest of the gear as you see fit. For real do-it-yourselfer's - http://www.desktopaviator.com/  has many USB circuit boards that will make any controller you can build, use, convert, cobble together - interface to the simulator for hundreds of quid, bucks or yen far cheaper than this seat costs. Some rudimentary skills with a hammer. saw, screwdriver, same paint and a bit of imagination is all you need.

The people interested in this, are not interested in that.

Plus, Dogmansbirds setup would not actually be welcome in my house: too unsightly, and sure to attract the eye and ire of any nesting female.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 4/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, Chock said:

To be honest, if anyone is stupid enough to pay 500 quid for a glorified camping chair with a few bits of tubing welded to it, then I think they probably deserve to have the money taken off them, so I can only wish the makers of this thing good luck.

Can you make me a build list for an adjustable, foldable seat such as the one in the link for £249?

It looks like tube aluminium so you can start by getting prices for that.

Or you can start with the hinges.

I think we're about to see who's stupid.......

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

Can you make me a build list for an adjustable, foldable seat such as the one in the link for £249? I think we're about to see who's stupid.......

Okay.

Suitable folding chair as the basis for it: £12.80

Additional tubing (3x 1 metre lengths, which is more than enough): £27.00

Brazing torch: £6.35

You'll probably need some other bits and bobs of course (brackets and things, if you didn't want to fabricate them) but since you're only up to about 45 quid thus far, I'm fairly sure the remaining £200+ quid in the budget will cover it. That do you?

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

39 minutes ago, Chock said:

Okay.

You'll probably need some other bits and bobs of course (brackets and things, if you didn't want to fabricate them) but since you're only up to about 45 quid thus far, I'm fairly sure the remaining £200+ quid in the budget will cover it. That do you?

Are you serious or is that a joke post? 

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Like 1

Next Level is legit. I have one of their rigs for Sim Racing.  It's a really solid, high quality option for the money.  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 6:14 AM, HiFlyer said:

o me, this is actually fairly intriguing, as I had otherwise been idly considering putting together a whole new computer and desk and excetera for simming, but had/have limited space for it.

This cheaper alternative offers the opportunity to use my existing computer, while also having a dedicated setup that can be easily folded away when not in use.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIQ3168/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it allows me to keep it aside when i'm using a racing seat for driving or when i'm using the computer for normal use.  If I didnt have this, I would have not bought all the logitech gear I have because it would have taken all of my desk space.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

17 minutes ago, ark said:

What do you have to do to keep the whole thing from moving when you push on the brakes or yoke?

your feet on the rudder pedals provide enough stability.  There could be some ingenious ways in addition to that but its adequate for me.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

For open cockpit flight you need to add:

• large fan blowing in your face
  • USB controlled water spray bottle with iced water for simulating rain
  • oil burner with 50 weight motor oil for that radial smell
  • tennis ball thrower loaded with dead seabirds to simulate bird strikes
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

The people interested in this, are not interested in that.

Plus, Dogmansbirds setup would not actually be welcome in my house: too unsightly, and sure to attract the eye and ire of any nesting female.

but you could paint it pink and sit some flowers on it, or attach something shiny to it 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

tennis ball thrower loaded with dead seabirds to simulate bird strikes

Live ones for optimal realism

actually - if there's anyone else out there other than Paul, Chock and I who's into building their own stuff, I was racking my brain over a way to build compact and simple pedals, suitable for both heli and plane flying (easily switched between centering and non centering). Then it struck me that I could do it this way (should it help anyone else making their own stuff).

The purple rubber band get added or removed for self centre. The other rubber bands are there to stop the turnbuckles adjusting themselves during use. The black and white things at the back are the magnets, hall sensor and arduino taped to plastic connect-it block. The build is exactly $57  Mostly Bunnings bits and ebay arduino and ebay hall effect sensor

I left the box tubing a bit longer ready for adding toe braking 

bSMHP3p.jpg

8I9nAIb.jpg

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

For open cockpit flight you need to add:

• large fan blowing in your face
  • USB controlled water spray bottle with iced water for simulating rain
  • oil burner with 50 weight motor oil for that radial smell
  • tennis ball thrower loaded with dead seabirds to simulate bird strikes or frozen chickens

And snakes. "Why did it have to be snakes?" ©️ 1936, Prof Indiana Jones

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

On 4/23/2021 at 6:05 AM, dogmanbird said:

In the end I built this which is rigid and on castors to wheel around. The keyboard stand is hinged, slides off and folds in half. Heli collective and gear stick are clamped to the side and move with the frame. Cyclic and rudder pedals lift out and replaced with a board that sits on the frames rails and becomes the floor when racing.  A lot of the stuff can sit on the seat while wheeling it about and the rest is easily moved as it's designed to sit on the floor wherever it's most comfortable to use. 10 port powered USB hub is attached to the frame.

It's very very basic and cheap to build. All the wood, screws, hinge and casters in the pix about $120 from Bunnings. Car seat $80 from wreckers

Nsd7SdO.jpeg

krh0kGL.jpg

aWaYcwg.jpg

Your setup looks just as unsightly and wobbly, fragile, prone to warping/cracks and flimsy as you assume the NLR chair would be.

I do appreciate you actually backing up your assumptions with showing us your setup and actual technical know how unlike others in this thread.

22 hours ago, Chock said:

Okay.

This isn't realistic by a long shot. You are simply moving goal posts now.

The chair comes with 5 seating positions that are specific to its adjustable spring and clamp compression designs.

Your next goal post will be assuming and expecting everyone to have that level of technical expertise to actually make your "budget contraption" work with the 5 seating positions.

Or they could simply buy an already assembled foldable chair for the same price that a company has already done the R&D/engineering for.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2