Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Purchase through Game Pass for PC makes no sense for me

I made a call to Microsoft Support and asked about purchasing MSFS through my Game Pass subscription. I see options to buy at at a reduced price. I have always been of the opinion that after buying it I can end my Game Pass subscription and continue using MSFS. But the representative I spoke to told me that this is not the case. Makes no sense to me. Why on earth should you buy it if you must continue to have the Game Pass subscription through which you can use as long as you are a subscriber ?

5 minutes ago, jfri said:

I made a call to Microsoft Support and asked about purchasing MSFS through my Game Pass subscription. I see options to buy at at a reduced price. I have always been of the opinion that after buying it I can end my Game Pass subscription and continue using MSFS. But the representative I spoke to told me that this is not the case. Makes no sense to me. Why on earth should you buy it if you must continue to have the Game Pass subscription through which you can use as long as you are a subscriber ?

if you buy it,  you don't need gamepass. Whoever told you that is smoking crack.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I think he means to get the discount offered to purchase MSFS Deluxe or Premium you need to continue Game Pass(GP) member. If you unsubscribe, you would only get the Standard version or Deluxe version I believe, not the Premium version.    I wanted to do the same but I read the fine print.   Like jfri said, it doesn't make sense at all.  It will cost him more to upgrade through GP.  I would just unsubscribe to GP and then buy it at full price at $120, the difference in the discount price isn't really that great if you ask me. it's around $80-$90.  I still haven't purchased it waiting for a price drop but it looks like that's not going to happen anytime soon!..lol

Edited by F1Fan

Well I actually did this after having Game Pass for about 3-4 month's, one for $1.00 and the other 3 when it was $4.99. Many people tried to purchase the Premium Deluxe like me and some failed at it and I don't know why. I did BUY the Premium Deluxe right before my Game Pass expired, I think a few days, and DID get the sale price, I think it was $99.00, and might still be that price. I was extremely nervous about it as I had heard many horror stories, but in the end it WORKED for me. I did make sure that I bought the Digital Rights version, it's been awhile now. But after many months, so FAR I am fine 🙂

Even though I actually ended up spending about the same price cause I paid for Game Pass for extra months at $5.00 a month. But it could have been $21.00, plus the $120 and it was NOT for me. I am telling you it is not easy, and your mileage may be different for some strange reason!

Good luck is all I can say @jfri! I don't even remember how I found the Digital Rights version to be honest!

2021-04-17_18-52-07

I am almost sure this is why it worked for me, but not 100%! And I can't see this info any more cause I own the sim now! Maybe I just got lucky!

Right before the END of Game Pass I either Cancelled it or let it run out. It was just a few days! I also chatted with Support and in my case they were wrong, but others have had problems with trying to do this, be aware!

Edited by in2tech

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

1 hour ago, F1Fan said:

I think he means to get the discount offered to purchase MSFS Deluxe or Premium you need to continue Game Pass(GP) member. If you unsubscribe, you would only get the Standard version or Deluxe version I believe, not the Premium version.    I wanted to do the same but I read the fine print.   Like jfri said, it doesn't make sense at all.  It will cost him more to upgrade through GP.  I would just unsubscribe to GP and then buy it at full price at $120, the difference in the discount price isn't really that great if you ask me. it's around $80-$90.  I still haven't purchased it waiting for a price drop but it looks like that's not going to happen anytime soon!..lol

I am unable to find this fine print. I got the impression she meant that if you buy any version you still need to keep your game pass subscription in order to use it. She actually told me to wait while she spoke to another person about this

1 hour ago, F1Fan said:

I would just unsubscribe to GP and then buy it at full price at $120, the difference in the discount price isn't really that great if you ask me. it's around $80-$90.  I still haven't purchased it waiting for a price drop but it looks like that's not going to happen anytime soon!..lol

Actually I went to the Microsoft Store and could not see any way to buy it at full price only for the prices presented for my Game Pass. It is 20% and I would not call it negligible.

42 minutes ago, in2tech said:

Well I actually did this after having Game Pass for about 3-4 month's, one for $1.00 and the other 3 when it was $4.99. Many people tried to purchase the Premium Deluxe like me and some failed at it and I don't know why. I did BUY the Premium Deluxe right before my Game Pass expired, I think a few days, and DID get the sale price, I think it was $99.00, and might still be that price. I was extremely nervous about it as I had heard many horror stories, but in the end it WORKED for me. I did make sure that I bought the Digital Rights version, it's been awhile now. But after many months, so FAR I am fine 🙂

Even though I actually ended up spending about the same price cause I paid for Game Pass for extra months at $5.00 a month. But it could have been $21.00, plus the $120 and it was NOT for me. I am telling you it is not easy, and your mileage may be different for some strange reason!

Good luck is all I can say @jfri! I don't even remember how I found the Digital Rights version to be honest!

2021-04-17_18-52-07

I am almost sure this is why it worked for me, but not 100%! And I can't see this info any more cause I own the sim now! Maybe I just got lucky!

Right before the END of Game Pass I either Cancelled it or let it run out. It was just a few days! I also chatted with Support and in my case they were wrong, but others have had problems with trying to do this, be aware!

Yea, I remember some folks got lucky and some didn't. I had the GP at the time for $1.00 to try out MSFS. Then it became $10.00 after a month so I figured I buy it at the discounted GP price and then canceled after that.   Then I heard the horror stories of some that tried to do it just like the OP want's to do.   I didn't want to take the chance so I figured I wait until it goes on sale....yea, right!..lol

12 minutes ago, jfri said:

Actually I went to the Microsoft Store and could not see any way to buy it at full price only for the prices presented for my Game Pass. It is 20% and I would not call it negligible.

See if you can Locate the Digital Rights stuff! Like I said it won't show for me anymore cause I own it. And you WON'T see the regular prices while you have Game Pass. It's really strange and should be Super Simple, but it is NOT!

See if you can find this in the middle of the page? When I got it, was $99.99 almost sure! Like I said VERY confusing!

2021-04-17_19-41-36

Unless that is a SALE for everyone, also people without Game Pass too? Once again, be careful and good luck!

Edited by in2tech

13 minutes ago, jfri said:

I am unable to find this fine print. I got the impression she meant that if you buy any version you still need to keep your game pass subscription in order to use it. She actually told me to wait while she spoke to another person about this

I remember reading it from the Microsoft Games website and not the Game Pass website where you actually launch the game(s).  I'm sure that it said that the discounted offers/deals were only for GP members ie, You have to be a subscriber to GP in order to get the game(s) on discount.  It it goes for all the games not just MSFS.

7 minutes ago, F1Fan said:

Yea, I remember some folks got lucky and some didn't. I had the GP at the time for $1.00 to try out MSFS. Then it became $10.00 after a month so I figured I buy it at the discounted GP price and then canceled after that.   Then I heard the horror stories of some that tried to do it just like the OP want's to do.   I didn't want to take the chance so I figured I wait until it goes on sale....yea, right!..lol

I actually wish they would explain this in one of their Streams. Although I know people want to hear about Updates, not buying the game. It's just very confusing! You could also check out Steam I guess to, see if it is on Sale? But all my other games and sims are on Steam, and I wanted MSFS from MS Store, but that's just me! And I only own about 10 Steam games, including 2-3 sims!

Regular price on Steam too, for now!

Edited by in2tech

4 minutes ago, in2tech said:

See if you can Locate the Digital Rights stuff! Like I said it won't show for me anymore cause I own it. And you WON'T see the regular prices while you have Game Pass. It's really strange and should be Super Simple, but it is NOT!

See if you can find this in the middle of the page? When I got it, was $99.99 almost sure! Like I said VERY confusing!

2021-04-17_19-41-36

Unless that is a SALE for everyone, also people without Game Pass too? Once again, be careful and good luck!

Can you provide the actual link to this?..I am curious  now .lol

2 minutes ago, in2tech said:

I actually wish they would explain this in one of their Streams. Although I know people want to hear about Updates, not buying the game. It's just very confusing! You could also check out Steam I guess to, see if it is on Sale? But all my other games and sims are on Steam, and I wanted MSFS from MS Store, but that's just me! And I only own about 10 Steam games, including 2-3 sims!

I know what you mean!....I agree.  Oh well.  I hope the deal you just posted is for real.  I might even go for it.  But like you said be very careful!...lol

11 minutes ago, in2tech said:

2021-04-17_19-41-36

Disregard, I just clicked on the premium version to buy at the MS website.  It says clearly, the discounted price for the Premium version is $95.99 for Game Pass members only..Join Now!..lol

Like what others said, you don't need the Gamspass after purchase.

I did the same thing, started out with Gamepass, brought it with a discount, and then cancelled before it auto renewal.

Thats it.

• Like 1

To be completely clear. There was an issue where MS offered the UPGRADE to Premium or Premium Deluxe to Game Pass subscribers for a very low price and this did require on-going membership of Game Pass as the latter provided the rights to play the core game. The fine print wording of this at the time was wrong and implied you would own the WHOLE Premium Deluxe version outright. MS changed the wording when people found they lost the whole game when game pass expired and were complaining to MS. 

What I am seeing on the MS Store today is different. I can see the WHOLE Premium Deluxe Edition at £89.99 (20% off for Gamespass members). Below this it then shown that you will own the base game, the premium upgrade, the deluxe upgrade AND the digital ownership. It is clear to me if you go for this option and then stop your Game Pass you will then still own everything. MS have done this with many games that are on Game Pass - that is, you are offered a discount on the full ownership.

CJ

• Like 3