Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

Smoothest landing, thanks to Fulcrum!

Tried to think of a more descriptive title but I failed!

In short, as much as my landings have improved since I started using MSFS back on launch day, and as much as the Thrustmaster Airbus sidestick has helped since I bought it, the Fulcrum One has taken things to a new level. Sure, I sometimes mess up, but this was as near to a perfect touchdown as I've ever made in any flight sim. I can some of the credit myself of course, but it's the ability to make small adjustments and get a real feel for those adjustments with the progressively greater force required as you push or pull further on the yoke that are making the real difference. Also, I feel there is, by default, just the right amount of delay between turning the yoke and noticeable banking of the aircraft. But a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words, so... (The wheels sinking into the tarmac are just a factor of the Flight Recorder app playing back a recording. Ignore that and concentrate on the smooth glide onto the runway).

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I feel ya. I'm also having better experiences in this simulator and DCS since updating my hardware.

I fought with my CH controllers long enough (5 years?) and, one at a time replaced them with good hardware. Makes all the difference.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I’m a P3D user and still have v3 installed purely so I can fly FS Labs Concorde. I have a Landing Monitor utility and a recent landing at GCTS returned a rate of under 100fpm. That’s with a touchdown speed of around 155kts and 10° pitch.

That would never have been possible with my Saitek. I cannot replicate that on every Concorde landing simply because it’s a very demanding aircraft. But the Fulcrum makes a real difference.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Now, if only I could win that darned Lotto then I could afford one😏

• Like 2

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But the Fulcrum makes a real difference.

Absolutely. Ray, you cost me a lot of money I wasn't planning on spending on hardware (with your recommendation), but as each day passes, I think about it less and less.👍😊

10 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Butter! 🙂

Thanks for the vid, and the nice comments.

Thanks, and you're welcome. I just knew I'd absolutely nailed that landing, the way I was able to float down and choose so precisely where I wanted the wheels to make contact with the ground, something that's far more challenging with more basic (I won't say inferior) controls. Credit where credit's due, as expensive as it is (for my budget), it's been worth every penny.

8 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Start saving, you won't regret it (well, unless you have a partner who counts every penny you spend on yourself rather than him/her!😁 )

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

7 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Absolutely. Ray, you cost me a lot of money I wasn't planning on spending on hardware (with your recommendation), but as each day passes, I think about it less and less.👍😊

I hope you know I never recommend lightly. 😉 Glad you’re enjoying the Fulcrum. Start saving for the throttle quadrant which I hope we will see a pre-production version at Cosford.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

It took me 2 yrs to save for all my controllers but worth it. I'm retired but did some side jobs to make the money and bought them one at a time.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I hope you know I never recommend lightly. 😉 

I was pretty confident of that.😊

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Start saving for the throttle quadrant which I hope we will see a pre-production version at Cosford.

I'm trying to! I still have the Honeycomb on order but I could still be waiting for that by June at this rate, so hopefully Chris will have been able to get it ready for then with a projected price. Obvioulsy, it won't be a 'metal Honeycomb' but a more bare bones device in terms of features, but since I'm not regretting 'levelling up' to the Yoke...

Pics and video please, if you get to see it at Cosford (and assuming Chris is ok with that).

???
Even the least of my flight controls over the years allowed me to land smoothly.  Way back to the early days of flight simulation. All about controlling power and trim, and then flaring at the end.  Just like actual flying. The yoke/joystick is only about the flare.  No brand or flight controls model allegiance required!

It is about flying, not about buying.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

ok then

8 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

I'm trying to! I still have the Honeycomb on order but I could still be waiting for that by June at this rate, so hopefully Chris will have been able to get it ready for then with a projected price. Obvioulsy, it won't be a 'metal Honeycomb' but a more bare bones device in terms of features, but since I'm not regretting 'levelling up' to the Yoke...

Pics and video please, if you get to see it at Cosford (and assuming Chris is ok with that).

Sorry but I wouldn't take a Honeycomb throttle quadrant if you paid me. Why the huge footprint? Apparently so it's a match for the equally huge yoke. You're going to need a large desk to fit those two on. And the quality of the components didn't impress me when I tried it at Cosford in 2019. The levers look very breakable.

Look at the Saitek throttle quadrants. Small size and plenty of switches. Pair two together and you have enough levers for a four-engine aircraft plus one for spoilers and flaps. I have two and their housed in a box attached to a stand. The box changes the angle of the levers so they match a real aircraft.

The only downside to them is the crappy potentiometers but if Chris were to replicate the design but with quality components it would be a winner. The best of the Saitek and Virtual-Fly TQ6 would do it for me.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, Les Parson said:

Are there any Fulcrum vs. Honeycomb Alpha comparison reviews? 

I have both and IMHO trying to compare them doesn't make any sense- they are in totally different leagues. Alpha: very short and too stiff pitch travel while the roll is too light, rubber cords for axis loading, plastic body, regular (not long-life) potentiometers on both axis, 8-bit (256 points) controller resolution, switches on the main body. Fulcrum: realistic pitch travel and loading forces on both axis (which makes the biggest difference), all-metal construction, contactless sensors, 12-bit (4096 points) controller resolution, springs for axis loading, no switches on the main body. But to feel the difference you need to try both...

I'd say that Alpha is the best mass-produced, relatively low-cost yoke (Saitek/ CH class), while Fulcrum is the best high-end tabletop yoke twice cheaper than the nearest competitor.