Sign in to follow this  
Mart2020

Reinstalling GTN750 and no database found - Please help

I recently had to reinstall X-Plane and I am now having all sort of issues reinstalling the Garmin Trainer/s for GTN750.  I see the GTN750 as a plug-in in the simulator, but there's no access to data / terrain...   When I first installed the GTN750 last month, I remember being prompted to install a Garmin application where I selected the type of aircraft and of GTN.  This time, that part is not happening.  Something is missing from some of the folders, I guess. . . .   Any help please?  I have tried reinstalling 3 times already today and I don't seem to be making any progress.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:45 AM, Mart2020 said:

I recently had to reinstall X-Plane

Since you reinstalled X-Plane I suggest going to the Reality XP web site and downloading a fresh ecommerce copy of the 750 and installing from it.  Like you are first purchasing again.  You will be run through the full ecommerce routine at the F1 site but when there choose reinstall.  You will not pay again.  You will need the email address and PW you used the first time and also you license key #.  You can look it up if needed on the F1 site.  Be sure to uninstall the RXP GTN 750 first.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I went back to the F1 website and selected "For F1 Activation users - I reached my Activation Limit and I need to reset the serial number".  The F1 installer is telling me that I have exceeded the activation limit, so this seems the most logical option.   If this is the correct option, the Proof of Purchase Certificate Number that I received in e-mail from F1 when I purchased the software (I still have that e-mail with the correct Proof of Purchase Certificate Number) does not work and I keep getting a rejection as "Invalid".  Am I supposed to select "Reactiving your Order (if it has become deactivated)", instead?   I don't want to select something incorrectly and create more chaos...   Let me know what worked for you please.  Thank you fppilot. 

Edited by RXP

On 4/18/2021 at 12:45 AM, Mart2020 said:

I see the GTN750 as a plug-in in the simulator, but there's no access to data / terrain... 

Hi,

Do you mean the gauge is showing up in a popup window and boots, but the device is telling there is no database?

If so, please also review this topic and let me know about your installation paths and registry values:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/575312-gtn-750-not-loading-databases-resolved/

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi,

I will take a look at the topic from the link provided, but for now I have removed all folders with GTN and Reality XP software and completed a fresh install from the .exe that I received when I first purchased the license (rxpGTN-XPL-Setup.exe).  I see the plug-in within the X-plane sim (in-game) but cannot select 'Master Device', or 'Settings' options from within the sim.  I reinstalled the software after removing every file from my PC and it looks like something has not installed / not installed correctly.

I don't see what you showed below to another user, in my tree: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases:

• nav_db2.bin
  • nav_db2_grm.bin

This is what I have on my PC (the .exe is no longer installing the Garmin trainer, or the database files) >

c:\Program Files (x86)

• Garmin
    • Trainers
      • Packages
      • GTN
        • bin
        • data
        • DirectX9.0c
        • Images
  • Reality XP
    • GTN Simulation
      • X-Plane
        • bin

c:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases:

• FPLN (this is an empty folder)
  • GTN
    • nonvol
  • Reality XP
    • Common
    • GtnTrainer
      • checklists.zip
      • flightplans.zip

I wonder if I need a new ".exe" file to reinstall every file correctly from scratch.  I tried reinstalling the software a few times over the week-end and I may have reached the limit for activation, so I had to resort to the original '.exe' from the original purchase.  I am stuck....

Edited by Mart2020
additional input on reinstall of the ".exe" file

@RXP - Let me know how to move on from here please.  Can I have a fresh / new '.exe', if that is what I need?  Numerous attempts at fixing this have all failed.  I suspect a new ".exe" might allow a fresh install without all these problems.  Let me know if you need additional information.  I have the proof of purchase, but cannot read the key, as it's in a file I cannot read. 

5 hours ago, Mart2020 said:

I have the proof of purchase, but cannot read the key, as it's in a file I cannot read. 

When reinstalling you do not read the key, but select the key file, which can be found in your C : \RealityXP folder

Bert

Installing programs in c:\Program Files (x86) is not always a good idea, because of access rights set to that directory.

So I install all extra programs in a directory called C:\Program Files Special to prevent such access problems.

Do not know whether it is an issue in your case.

Edited by PeterBremer

I appreciate the suggestions, but it worked well before the reinstall.  I did not pick which folders the software was installed into, as was suggested to me in another forum.  I need someone from Reality XP to assist here... 

2 hours ago, Mart2020 said:

I need someone from Reality XP to assist here... 

Hi,

You first need to follow the suggestions.

For example don't:

On 4/19/2021 at 8:48 PM, Mart2020 said:

a fresh install from the .exe that I received when I first purchased the license (rxpGTN-XPL-Setup.exe). 

Instead do:

On 4/18/2021 at 8:37 AM, fppilot said:

I suggest going to the Reality XP web site and downloading a fresh ecommerce copy of the 750 and installing from it.

NB: unlike what is suggested above, the .key is now deprecated. In order to reinstall and re-authenticate the license on your system you need to:

download and run the latest e-commerce installer (what you download from our website), enter your F1 account credentials, press the REINSTALL button.

Edited by RXP
typo: no -> now

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

7 hours ago, PeterBremer said:

Installing programs in c:\Program Files (x86) is not always a good idea, because of access rights set to that directory.

It depends. Because it is a protected folder, with restricted 'write' access rights, it is also protecting the files from user/bug modifications/deletions.

In practice, the only real problem for us, simmers, is when the simulator files are in this protected folder in which case many add-ons are not able to deal with. This is very typical with FSX or FSX-SE installing by default in this folder, and therefore making panel modification tools failing to make any change. This is impacting typical 3rd party aircraft configuration tools which are saving config files and/or modifying panel files.

This shouldn't be a problem with any Reality XP add-on though, because we're coding our add-ons for this, and you can perfectly use our GUI Panel Assistant on FSX-SE even if it is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)". Windows Vista first introduced this protected folder concept more than a decade ago and developers should know by now how to deal with this.

The most important comment I'd have about this folder is different: stay away from add-ons asking you to run as-admin or to disable UAC, only because these add-ons couldn't write files in this protected folder otherwise.

Edited by RXP

Ok, you say "You first need to follow the suggestions."  Which suggestions?  I have not had any feedback from you until today (except for the link to the exchange in the forum, regarding the NAV database)...  Did I miss a prior suggestion from you?  Once the download starts, the software just downloads to C\Xplane 11 but does not tell me if I need to pick a specific folder or subfolder...  Are there step-by-step instructions that I need to have before I retry a new install?

As to "download and run the latest e-commerce installer (what you download from our website), enter your F1 account credentials, press the REINSTALL button.", I indicated in my prior exchange that I did just that earlier this week but the 'Flight1' installer tells me that I have reached the activation limit (?).  I can retry later today and confirm if that is happening again.   

I can assure you other users on this forums were lending a hand and were giving you proper directions to follow. These are as valid a suggestion as the ones I would give you. At least, now you know I'd suggest the same as @fppilot or @Bert Pieke who are long time simmers, and long time RXP customers knowing much of our products all around.

Now let's get back to what I believe is some confusion in the process:

14 minutes ago, Mart2020 said:

Once the download starts, the software just downloads to C\Xplane 11 but does not tell me if I need to pick a specific folder or subfolder.

• Once the download starts, the software just downloads to your default Download folder which most likely is not C:\X-Plane 11.
  • What you're downloading is an e-commerce installer, which therefore needs to run (double click the .exe), not moved or copied anywhere.
  • What the e-commerce installer is doing is authenticating your license on your computer, and then extracting and running the RXP software installer.
  • What the RXP software installer is doing is making sure you have all the prerequisites (Garmin Trainer mostly) and it will automatically download and run the Garmin trainer installer if needed.
  • What the RXP software installer will do right after is installing the RXP software where it should be installed (C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Data) and then copy the XP11 plugin files to the XP11 plugins folder.

In all cases, there is nothing to manually do. The only location you have to tell is the location of your XP11 main folder the first time you run the installer, if this location is not automatically detected. In short: there is no specific step-by-step instructions: just run the e-commerce installer, answer the prompts (XP11 location if prompted), and it all goes automatically for you.

14 minutes ago, Mart2020 said:

I did just that earlier this week but the 'Flight1' installer tells me that I have reached the activation limit (?). 

This is normal after too many attempts, and we do have a FAQ for this kind of questions:

I have reinstalled a few times, and I am now receiving Key Reactivation warnings?
http://reality-xp.com/store/faq.html

Edited by RXP

48 minutes ago, RXP said:

NB: unlike what is suggested above, the .key is now deprecated.

I had to look it up:

"In the world of software development, "deprecated" refers to functions or elements that are in the process of being replaced by newer ones."

:wink:

Edited by RXP

Bert

@Bert Pieke thank you for the notice, there was a typo now corrected. It should read "now" instead of "no" indeed.

Edited by RXP