Sign in to follow this  
Mike7777

NVIDIA "Nsight" tool for analyzing performance and stutters

This looks like a great tool for for analyzing graphics performance, looking for cause of stutters, etc.  Can help users investigate bottlenecks, identify issues such as GPU starvation, unnecessary GPU synchronization, insufficient CPU parallelizing, and even unexpectedly expensive algorithms across the CPUs and GPUs of their target platform (from their web site).

https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-systems

I have the MS Store version of the sim. When I try to use Nsight, I get an error trying to "point it at" the FlightSimulator.exe file. I have taken ownership of the Windows Apps folders, but I still can't get past this with Nsight. I have been successful with other apps, but not Nsight.

The specific error I’m getting is “You don’t have permission to open this file”. Of course, I don’t think anyone has permission to open it🙂    I just want to tell Nsight which program to target.

If someone has been able to use Nsight with the Microsoft Store version, it would be a huge assist if you can tell me how to make it work.

Also, I’m interested to hear what others think of Nsight. It looks VERY cool from what I’ve seen.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

WHich one did you download by the way? I will give it a try as i have permissions to point to the .exe file...

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

7 hours ago, vonduck said:

WHich one did you download by the way? I will give it a try as i have permissions to point to the .exe file...

Thank you!!

This is the one I tried:

https://developer.nvidia.com/rdp/assets/nsight-systems-2021-2-windows-installer

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, vonduck said:

How do you get those permissions?

'Take Control' usually overcomes permissions issues for me but not this one. DRM is a pain.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I am investigate this treat, because there is the same problem with other tools to select the flightsim.exe,  hope someone found a solution for that.

Stephan from Germany

My System

2 hours ago, sal9000 said:

select the flightsim.exe

I don't know if this is what you meant, but here's what I do (mainly to disable "full screen otimization"): In windows Explore i choose "This PC", and in the top bar insert "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe". That takes you to the directory where the "real" flighsim.exe resides and not a symlink or such. You have to alter the version number for every update of course.

As to "taking over permissions": I've read quite some threads on this and many were suggesting that it's a seemingly dangerous task, as many have encountered not only bad results for the sim but their WIN10 installation as well. You definitely better know what you're doing if you are going that way....

• Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

35 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

As to "taking over permissions": I've read quite some threads on this and many were suggesting that it's a seemingly dangerous task, as many have encountered not only bad results for the sim but their WIN10 installation as well. You definitely better know what you're doing if you are going that way....

Add me here. I nearly burnt my system by modifying permissions. Fortunately, my shop was able to restore it without a complete reinstall.

Thus my suggestion, never fiddle with the premissions if you are not absolutely clear what you are doing.  

Needless to say, the permissions restrictions are nasty from the outset. I ended up returning the MSFS MS Store version and am happily living with the Steam version since.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11