Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Performance really is getting weird again

I parked it for a week or two after WU3 with the new strange random big drops in frame rate.  There was a fix announced which seemed to improve things enough until now.  Now even flying into rather easy to process KSBA it becomes choppy as heck the nearer I get to the airport.  Things really have gone awry, and I have been one of the most staunch apologists about progress thus far.  The real weird part is I do have ample CPU/GPU headroom but I also notice CPU load is much higher than a few updates back, and yet scenery quality hasn't improved, I'm talking about areas I fly in regularly..   Server changes don't seem to matter, rolling cache with or without doesn't matter.  No CTD's here, but it's become unflyable again.

I'm afraid it's time to park it again until they make serious headway into solving this.  Bye for now...  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

5 hours ago, Noel said:

until they make serious headway into solving this

if you had multiplayer on then try to disable that, causes quite some stop-go-stop-go slideshow for many users. Still Asobo needs to fix this, no idea whether it's a server related issue though which was fixed in the meantime but guess not, did not dare to enable multiplayer yet myself

• Like 3

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

In another similar thread here we have been discussing this over the past few days.

The same advice was given and it is all good. But in this case given I don't use MP, have photogrammetry off and have tried reducing sessions, with same settings in my set up, recently performance particularly on take off finals - in some airports, the performance has really tanked. At the gate and even taxiing, it can be 40-45 then after take-off 15-18. Doesn't make sense, never saw this before. I have tried with all traffic off and on, and the difference was small. Interestingly. performance with WT G3000 in the TBM is much worse than say in the WT CJ4.

So I am with the OP. This is not about our machines necessarily, it is a change I've noted since the France update, and is very discouraging. 

I am not that keen on bothering to go to Zendesk right now - although that is good advice, especially  if we all do it - but they rarely have any constructive advice.

Ray

Yeah, that's the weird thing.  Most of the time, performance is OK, then suddenly your frame rate goes down below 10 and you get a 1 or 2 second stutter.  My original suspicion was an addon, but it even happens with an empty community folder.  It feels like scenery loading or scenery processing to me me.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Same here, after WU4 i also got the unusual long stutters. In a german forum someone mentioned to just switch the server ingame. And it worked out perfectly. 
Switching from a European server to US East solved the problem immediately in my case.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAD said:

did not dare to enable multiplayer yet myself

well, after having flown a short ENVA ESGG leg without MP and no issues at all in the exp standalone FBW mod, I decided to try MP on. Now enroute ESGG EDDM and no stutters/pauses of any kind so far, not even from ramp to takeoff at ESGG. fingers crossed since there was actually little to none MP traffic at ESGG, will report back how performance is at EDDM which seems more busy just with FBW neos based on their website map tool....

UPDATE: Stop and go at EDDM, disabled MP again inflight prior to landing, changing servers did not help either

Edited by DAD
  • Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

7 hours ago, cianpars said:

It feels like ... scenery processing to me.

I agree with that sentiment.  The other very different reality that happened I think w/ WU3 and persists is the spinning loading circle in the lower right corner of the display.  That rarely happened for months now it frequently happens and with each one there is a subtle stutter.  Changing servers and deleting/rebuilding the rolling caches doesn't seem to consistently affect the random fps drops and increasing stutters coming into dense cities that I get now. What also is telling is that I went offline and the fps drop w/ stutters persists, which to me suggests a scenery processing problem.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

My performance is affected by MP on or off for some reason. However, I have noticed finishing one flight and starting another without restarting PC do seems degrade my performance. 

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

22 hours ago, DAD said:

if you had multiplayer on then try to disable that, causes quite some stop-go-stop-go slideshow for many users. Still Asobo needs to fix this, no idea whether it's a server related issue though which was fixed in the meantime but guess not, did not dare to enable multiplayer yet myself

Is 'multiplayer' the same as Real-Time AI Traffic?

Noel

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

Is 'multiplayer' the same as Real-Time AI Traffic?

Nope. Not the same. Both multiplayer and traffic can be set separately when setting up a flight when clicking on the weather icon top right. Or in options —> data

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

I'm noticing this for some time now. At the end of every flight my performance drops. If I restart the sim and load at the same airport I just landed, I always have about 10 FPS more. 

I'm using MSFS for about 4 months now and sadly, in my experience, this sim is getting worse with every update. At the beginning I didn't have any stutters, LOD was great, no CTDs, etc. Now, I have issues with all that. 

I took a ~2 week break after the FPS drops issue that began with WU3 and then was partially resolved, I spent all sim time in P3D 4.5 which runs great but only by reducing autogen, vegetation, LOD distance well down, and disabling Orbx SCA/NCA, and flying the NGXu and 777 from PMDG.  In order to fly into KSFO those are the settings my system really requires to produce totally smooth flight including everything moving in-sim, and it's great.  I avoid daylight beyond dawn/dusk because it's really so poor looking now by comparison to MSFS.   I was just getting re-excited about MSFS so I decided to try flying in MSFS again last night (made it a whole 24h taking a 2nd break!) and had the weirdest thing happen:  upon hitting the Ready to Fly button after the the Citation Longitude was poised on the tarmac at KTVL for a nice flight to KACV, the plane starting slewing backwards at a pretty good clip before starting the engines!   Actually, engine sounds were happening before I ever started them!  Never saw this before!  So I ended that debacle, loaded up the TBM for the same flight plan, and same thing happened only other anomalies happened as well.  I rebooted, and the same thing happened again!  This time I hit the Citation's brakes and it stopped the slew-back (nope, didn't think to hit the Y key!) and I was able to start the plane and do the flight and all was well.   A few hours later I decided to see if there was any troubleshooting to be had on this new bizarre problem I started the same plane/plan and voila, back to normal!   And normal still this morning!  Have no idea what that was all about but thankfully it's gone now.

Addendum:  nope, not normal ;o(   Made it a whole 30 minute into this flight from KTVL to KACV, gorgeous sunrise, lovely flight out of Tahoe and 40m out from KACV starts the fps drops, stutters, yet ample GPU/CPU headroom.  SNAFU! 

I did turn off multiplayer which was on, but to no avail, so aborted this flight and I guess it's back to taking a break ;o(

Edited by Noel

Noel