Sign in to follow this  
woodstock327

Odd flight today...

Had a really odd flight today. KEFD BORRN4 WLEEE5 KAUS, filed with FL340. ATC cleared me to 12000ft, then to 17000ft, and then the strangeness began (I was still in the middle of the STAR):

CJ One Niner Charlie  Climb and Maintain Flight Level One Eight Zero  Descend and Maintain One Three Thousand feet'

After that ATC instructed me to descend to 8000ft, and then to 2600ft, at which point I gave up and disconnected.

Dave, two questions:

1. Any idea what could have gone wrong? I can send you the log file if you want to have a look (it's not a big deal as P2A usually works great for me, could have just been a glitch)

2. After disconnecting I tried to get back into P2A guidance by connecting again, filing the flight plan, and contacting the current center by 'With you at <current alt>'. I was acknowledged, but nothing else from then on (tried this twice). So was this the correct way to 'get back' into P2A after a disconnect, or should I have done something differently?

Thanks!

Dirk

Dirk,

It sounds like it may have been a glitch.  Usually the "strange" and "contradictory" altitude glitches have something to do with following SID or STAR restrictions.  If you could email the log to me, I can have a look.

The restart procedure sounds correct.  If there was a glitch, you may have needed to do the more involved restart of actually shutting down, restart, load plan, connect, file flight plan, and make contact.

Dave

Hi Dave,

47 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

It sounds like it may have been a glitch.  Usually the "strange" and "contradictory" altitude glitches have something to do with following SID or STAR restrictions.  If you could email the log to me, I can have a look.

Yeah, maybe the fact that the whole flight plan basically was SID + STAR without any other waypoints contributed to it... I'll send you the log file and you can check it out whenever you have some time...

49 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

The restart procedure sounds correct.  If there was a glitch, you may have needed to do the more involved restart of actually shutting down, restart, load plan, connect, file flight plan, and make contact.

Ah that's good to know, will try this should it ever happen again.

Thanks Dave!

Dirk

How to let ATC climb by constraint, for example climb to FL090 when departure. When I request IFR Clearance, ATC assigned squawk code ask me climb directly to FL290. Here is my input route:

VVTS W12 BMT Q1 SADIN VVDN

On a SID departure, ATC clears you to climb to FL290 via the SID.  That means, you climb using all the restrictions in the SID and after the last restriction, you can climb to FL290.  If your cruise altitude is FL370, you will get further clearances as you near FL290.

If you don't have a SID, you will get multiple altitude clearances up to your cruise altitude.

15 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

On a SID departure, ATC clears you to climb to FL290 via the SID.  That means, you climb using all the restrictions in the SID and after the last restriction, you can climb to FL290.  If your cruise altitude is FL370, you will get further clearances as you near FL290.

If you don't have a SID, you will get multiple altitude clearances up to your cruise altitude.

As some vid that I have referred on youtube (Clumsy....), the author has input SID and ACT provided multiple altitude.

When ATC asked me to contact center via frequency. I've switched center frequency but I don't know which phrase I have to say.

This is clip almost full flight with Pilot2ATC. Please spend your time to review my deficiency. Thank you very much.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:59 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

After few days, I've found that reason is outdated AIRAC. I've updated and problem solved. But there is another issue, when request clearance, atc assigned FL160 for climb, but when I takeoff and climb to FL160, ATC ask me descend to 9000ft. How to fix this?

That sounds like you were cleared via a SID to FL160 but there is a restriction in the SID of 9000 ft at one of the waypoints.  So you climb to 9000 and then after you pass the one with the restriction, you climb to the next restriction altitude or to FL160 if there are no restrictions.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

That sounds like you were cleared via a SID to FL160 but there is a restriction in the SID of 9000 ft at one of the waypoints.  So you climb to 9000 and then after you pass the one with the restriction, you climb to the next restriction altitude or to FL160 if there are no restrictions.

Is there any way to manual input restriction, constraint altitude and made P2ATC understand and assign climbing attitude by sequence?

When ATC said: BAV Two Eight Six Expect the SUNR One Bravo  arrival  with the SADIN transition  for the  ILS  approach to runway Three Five Right at DA NANG  INTERNATIONAL .  After BANSU Cleared direct SADIN . It's mean that I have to made the descend, is that right? Sorry, I'm very new at P2ATC

Edited by gundamf91

No  there is no way to manually input constraints.

And No.  That is telling you what to expect so you can prepare for the descent.  It usually is given about 3-4 minutes before you get the actual descent clearance which would be something like "......descend via the SUNR One Bravo arrival to xxxx feet....."

When you get the Descend via an arrival command, that is directing you to descend to the given altitude, following all the restrictions in the STAR.  It also assumes you will be descending at the planned descent rate and following all speed restrictions, like below 250 kts below 10,000 ft and any published speed restrictions in the STAR.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

No  there is no way to manually input constraints.

And No.  That is telling you what to expect so you can prepare for the descent.  It usually is given about 3-4 minutes before you get the actual descent clearance which would be something like "......descend via the SUNR One Bravo arrival to xxxx feet....."

Dave

I did not get any actual descent clearance. How is setting to get actual descent clearance?

Edit: I understand now.

Edited by gundamf91