Sign in to follow this  
7 Delta Tango

P2A will not issue desent

After going through voice training, my last 3 flights have been better than ever however, ATC fails to issue desent instructions, never hands off to Tower and I end up flying over the field at FL310! Unless I specifically ask to desend.

These are all IFR with a validated and filed plan while connected. All other handoffs work well.

Any ideas?

I have moved your post into the correct forum for your question.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hello
Do you have the green mark that materializes the TOD in your trace of flyght plan on the map?

Have you tried to change the ground speed, climd and descent rate parameters?

Vincent

On 4/19/2021 at 10:36 PM, 7 Delta Tango said:

After going through voice training, my last 3 flights have been better than ever however, ATC fails to issue desent instructions, never hands off to Tower and I end up flying over the field at FL310! Unless I specifically ask to desend.

These are all IFR with a validated and filed plan while connected. All other handoffs work well.

Hello
Do you have the green mark that materializes the TOD in your trace of flyght plan on the map?

Have you tried to change the ground speed, climd and descent rate parameters?

Vincent

Also, make sure you are on the latest release 2.6.2.2R3b.  In  the past, there have been bugs with the descents.

If you are on the latest release, you  can email the P2A log for a flight where you had problems to admin@pilot2atc.com and I can have a look.

P2A Log files are located in: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs where <UserName> is your PC user name. 
Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.
Dave

I've been using P2A quite a bit lately, loving it, and doing some testing. I think I found an issue / fix.

When being handed off to Center on Vatsim, I was politely scolded (as I called in as a student pilot) for using '<center name> <callsign> with you <current altitude> climbing <target altitude>

I was corrected to say, '<center name> <callsign>  <current altitude> climbing/descending <target altitude>. Drop the With You!

So this is what I've been saying in P2A and not getting a Radar Contact acknowledgment.

For the heck of it, I tried the '<center name> <callsign>  with you <current altitude>' and it worked. I received the Radar Contact ack. But even if I add the 'With you ..climbing/descending' phrase, ATC would not respond with Radar Contact.

I also noticed that after reporting 'Clear of active, after landing, I'm not being directed to Ground with a freq.

What I also found to help, for what ever reason that I can't explain as I have plenty of memory and CPU, is, I set the P2A process priority to above average through the task manager and that seemed to improve the speech recognition. Still not perfect, but it moved the needle in the 'better' direction. I'll test later today setting the 'Realtime' priority to see if that moves the needle further.

I have been through the speech training twice. That made a big difference, but I think some of the problems that myself and others have mentioned are not really bugs, but phraseology. It seems that if ATC does not understand certain phrases along a flight (and at times, ATC does not let you know they don't understand), then the whole flight can be in a sense, corrupted where ATC will no longer provide instructions. As in my case, with the descent issue.

In summary, phraseology seems to be the culprit, at least for me. You've done a great job trying to cover the many iterations that may come out of ones mouth under stress but a few more phraseology tweaks here and there may resolve issues that appear to be bugs but really are not.

This is just a thought. How about displaying an acknowledgment in the ATC text box 'Got it', indication to the user that ATC fully understood ones request or readback. Where the confirmation 'Got it' could be disabled in the config?

I will forward my log file for my last flight.

Thanks for the great application.

10 minutes ago, 7 Delta Tango said:

I've been using P2A quite a bit lately, loving it, and doing some testing. I think I found an issue / fix.

When being handed off to Center on Vatsim, I was politely scolded (as I called in as a student pilot) for using '<center name> <callsign> with you <current altitude> climbing <target altitude>

I was corrected to say, '<center name> <callsign>  <current altitude> climbing/descending <target altitude>. Drop the With You!

So this is what I've been saying in P2A and not getting a Radar Contact acknowledgment.

For the heck of it, I tried the '<center name> <callsign>  with you <current altitude>' and it worked. I received the Radar Contact ack. But even if I add the 'With you ..climbing/descending' phrase, ATC would not respond with Radar Contact.

Lol 74gear did a video on radio use and said to drop the "With You" although I think getting scolded on VATSIM for it is a bit OTT. 

He also said for the purposes of clarity you should avoid the use of "to" and "for" - tried it with p2a and it really didn't like it......

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Scolded may have been a little harsh. Perhaps more like, Corrected. The Vatsim folks are great. The controller was just helping me out.

I'm really hoping P2A will get my radio Kung Foo up to par. So far, so good but I really don't want to get in bad radio habits with P2A were the very common phrases are concerned. 

For me, P2A is not just an incredibly fun experience, it's a training tool so I don't sound like a total word not allowed on Vatsim.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 11:40 PM, 7 Delta Tango said:

I also noticed that after reporting 'Clear of active, after landing, I'm not being directed to Ground with a freq.

What I also found to help, for what ever reason that I can't explain as I have plenty of memory and CPU, is, I set the P2A process priority to above average through the task manager and that seemed to improve the speech recognition. Still not perfect, but it moved the needle in the 'better' direction. I'll test later today setting the 'Realtime' priority to see if that moves the needle further.

I have been through the speech training twice. That made a big difference, but I think some of the problems that myself and others have mentioned are not really bugs, but phraseology. It seems that if ATC does not understand certain phrases along a flight (and at times, ATC does not let you know they don't understand), then the whole flight can be in a sense, corrupted where ATC will no longer provide instructions. As in my case, with the descent issue.

In summary, phraseology seems to be the culprit, at least for me. You've done a great job trying to cover the many iterations that may come out of ones mouth under stress but a few more phraseology tweaks here and there may resolve issues that appear to be bugs but really are not.

This is just a thought. How about displaying an acknowledgment in the ATC text box 'Got it', indication to the user that ATC fully understood ones request or readback. Where the confirmation 'Got it' could be disabled in the config?

I will forward my log file for my last flight.

Thanks for the great application.

How did you train P2ATC?

Edited by gundamf91

11 hours ago, 7 Delta Tango said:

On the right side of P2A there's a vertical menu. Select, 'Grmr Help'. Then 'Train'.

Go through all of the selections.

Do you have same issue in this topic?