Sign in to follow this  
Republic DC9

Wild Gyrations After Landing??

I’m not a real pilot but have simmed for 25 years so far....it seems that with some (not all) of my MSFS aircraft I touch down upon landing, begin braking, but then the slightest touch of twist rudder correction on my Thrustmaster stick and the plane gyrates wildly requiring way too much correction.

I don’t seem to have this problem with the Aerosoft CRJ or that nice German payware 1950s prop whose names escapes me...but Carenado and the Just Flight Arrow for example do.

I tried adjusting the sensitivity curves etc. and it doesn’t make a difference.

Thoughts or tips?

Thanks!

now that you mention it I realize that I had a similar encounter after I touched down with the exp modded neo in Santorini today, thought some winds cought me. will double check on my next landing when returning from Greece

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

3 hours ago, Republic DC9 said:

I’m not a real pilot but have simmed for 25 years so far....it seems that with some (not all) of my MSFS aircraft I touch down upon landing, begin braking, but then the slightest touch of twist rudder correction on my Thrustmaster stick and the plane gyrates wildly requiring way too much correction.

I don’t seem to have this problem with the Aerosoft CRJ or that nice German payware 1950s prop whose names escapes me...but Carenado and the Just Flight Arrow for example do.

I tried adjusting the sensitivity curves etc. and it doesn’t make a difference.

Thoughts or tips?

Thanks!

MSFS has problem with friction model as I understand it. Most plane weathervane even when all wheels are touching the ground. I figured the best way to go about for now is to adjust rudder sensitivity. Even thought full rudder deflection is not realistic and keeps me on centerline more or less! 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

7 hours ago, DAD said:

now that you mention it I realize that I had a similar encounter after I touched down with the exp modded neo in Santorini today, thought some winds cought me. will double check on my next landing when returning from Greece

Just an update as promised. Landed safely in Munich and the neo did not wiggle down the runway after touchdown... will keep an eye on that anyway

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Bigger planes tend to do it to a much lesser degree in my experience. Probably because while the friction model is messed up, the inertial model is still doing its job. It's a lot harder to make a 100,000 pound airliner wiggle down the runway than it is a Cessna 150.

might i suggest that the problem may be restricted to prop planes .... read a posting somewhere recently blaming something to do with 'propwash'(whatever that may be?) ..... whatever it is, the problem is killing off my interest in using this program .... slowly, but surely ......

Propwash is the air flow generated by the propeller. It can impact control surfaces, but not like in the sim. Now that you mention it, I don't recall many gyration issues on landing in the small jets either...

I definitely have this issue with the JF Arrow... and others... Hard to keep straight.

At takeoff and at landing, there is a giant discontinuity in the behavior of the aircraft that occurs right at liftoff or touchdown in even the tinyest amount of wind  It makes no sense at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Yes, for my money, no amount of fancy schmancy scenery etc can compensate for having the immersion generated by the flight destroyed on the runways by planes that behave like snakes ....

• Upvote 1

Given the strength of my feelings about this issue I'd like to see it seriously taken to MS/Asobo, a first step being to pin this topic to keep it visible  .....?? Perhaps a passing moderator could comment on the idea .....?

12 minutes ago, AKStirling said:

Given the strength of my feelings about this issue I'd like to see it seriously taken to MS/Asobo, a first step being to pin this topic to keep it visible  .....?? Perhaps a passing moderator could comment on the idea .....?

No good it being pinned here, you need to get it on the official forum and upvoted, that's what Asobo actually look at and work off

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I'm feeling pretty cynical about the sim right now but based on the last 2 or 3 Dev Q&As I'm pretty sure this is one where Asobo would make some 10 second video showing one takeoff and one landing and tell us all their awesome Modern flight model has to be correct because it does so much math.  Even though it makes no sense to have such giant changes in behavior.  Or they would stare at the camera for two or three seconds and make some statement that doesn't even answer the question.

I'm betting this behavior has been reported and ignored all the way back to the Alpha anyway.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

7 hours ago, ckyliu said:

No good it being pinned here, you need to get it on the official forum and upvoted, that's what Asobo actually look at and work off

OK .... kind of new to this .... what's the link to the official form, and how does 'upvoting' work???