Sign in to follow this  
MauBen

Helicopters in MSFS

If you have shied away from helicopters because they are hard to master, do yourself a favour and try the first free helicopter for MSFS. While it isn’t exactly modelled like real helicopters, it behaves fairly closely to real helicopters and you can learn to fly by starting with the easy option and then switch to the more advanced options as your skills improve.

Why bother you may ask? Well, the easy answer is that the great MSFS scenery can best be experienced with helicopters where you can just drop by anywhere to take a very close look, instead of whizzing by at 100 mph and only getting a glance. If exploring scenery is important to you, give it a try. You will love it.

• Upvote 1

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

Sorry about the lock on this topic.  I was sure that I had moved it to the tips and tricks forum, as this seemed more of a tip on how to fly helos to look at scenery as opposed to a discussion topic.  Apologies!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I flew about 250 Miles today in the H 135, around Southern France. The scenery from a copter at 1,000 feet is spectacular. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I flew about 250 Miles today in the H 135, around Southern France. The scenery from a copter at 1,000 feet is spectacular. 

Agree - I've been having quite a bit of fun in that helo.  I know it's not uber realistic but for a sim that doesn't support helos it's decent enough.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Put mouse over one of the switches indicated below and use scroll wheel to set them to "flight"

You'll only see any animated controller movements once you've selected "ready to fly"

ofDjjnR.png

Edited by dogmanbird

5 hours ago, dongdongliushui said:

Any good tutorial of this H135 MOD for the heli newbies? I just can't lift it up the ground.

Dozens of videos on Youtube about this Helicopter including training 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

• Like 1

i wonder if it's still based on a plane?

have you noticed with the 135, yawing back and forth at about 70knots or faster, theres a point where it briefly but abruptly locks the tail movement, like a detent or deadzone. It seems to be where the heli would be flying true forward flight.

i guess its baked into msfs rudder configuration for planes and the team cant find away around it.

Edited by dogmanbird

16 hours ago, charliearon said:

Sorry about the lock on this topic.  I was sure that I had moved it to the tips and tricks forum, as this seemed more of a tip on how to fly helos to look at scenery as opposed to a discussion topic.  Apologies!

Thanks for bringing it back 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dogmanbird said:

i wonder if it's still based on a plane?

have you noticed with the 135, yawing back and forth at about 70knots or faster, theres a point where it briefly but abruptly locks the tail movement, like a detent or deadzone. It seems to be where the heli would be flying true forward flight.

i guess its baked into msfs rudder configuration for planes and the team cant find away around it.

I flew it for about 6 hours this weekend, and I am experienced in helis. I didn't notice any unusual yawing behavior. I flew up to around 130 knots. The behavior is fairly realistic in advanced mode, needs lots  of rudder to counter rotor torque with collective changes. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

I've never noticed in in RC. I've had cheap and pricey tail gyros, and never really felt it like it is in the 135 mod. I've never flown without a gyro. Though I still find the 135 a load of fun as it is.

If you've piloted real helis (i haven't) do they have a noticeable centre point at high speed?

Edited by dogmanbird

4 minutes ago, dogmanbird said:

I've never noticed in in RC. I've had cheap and pricey tail gyros, and never really felt it like it is in the 135 mod. It's still a load of fun as it is.

If you've piloted real helis (i haven't) do they have a noticeable centre point at high speed?

Most Helicopters will not need much yaw correction at cruising speeds. 

• Upvote 1

but if someone did, would it be noticeable? 🙂 I guess it's probably not what the typical heli piot would attempt at high speed 

Thanks Bob - and certainly not implying you're typical

Edited by dogmanbird

Even in DCS, flying a heli, as you approach  the  models cruise speed you will notice less and less need for pedals to stay on your trajectory and it is noticeable if you are paying attention.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's