Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Buildings have textures on inside?

I was slewing around the CYVR terminal when "interior" textures caught my eye. I noticed that alot of terminal building has the full cyvr_map01.dds texture on the inside of the many buildings it is made of. Its the whole texture stretched (its a multi texture tile), not just a segment of it as would normally be used/called for on the outside. Its predominently on ends (inside) and see it on the bottom, and the inside roof as well.Noticed the same at KSEA as well (especially the bottoms), but its not on the autogen stuff. (normal hi-rises/houses etc.)I loaded up FS9 to compare, - if you are inside a building, its transparent.This full tile with specular reflections is about 513k, mutlitplied over and over probally adds up pretty quick - for the inside of a building that we never see but the system must render. Why would they texure the inside (its different than the exterior by the way), and moreover - why the whole tile, not just a segment of it. The sdk ( I don't make scenery) says that you can call part of a texture to show - but this is showing the whole tile.Regards'Garett

Garrett, this results when the modeller has not completed an optimization step: deleting non-visible polygons. When a box is created it has six sides, and in compound object buildings it's common to have some of those sides not visible. The default texture mapping will often map the entire texture to to each polygon, if a box mapping is used. The modeller then modifies that mapping to show the part of the texture he chooses. On non-visible polys that step wasn't done of course, nor were they deleted.There will be a very minor impact on performance with those unnecessary polys.Jon

Thanks for the info Jon, and wow I got the answer right from Mr. Vancouver himself ! I just keep wondering if all these "little things" don't start to add up to a bigger picture named "overall perfromance". I'm sure the patch that's coming will be well recieved, then give it a week and we'll all be screaming again ;)Ah heck it doesn't matter anyways, soon as you get vancouver+ FSX it'll be on my rig ;) Saw your screenies, man does that look good !!I never got around to getting your FS9 one, I think I'll fix that tommorrow. You can only tinker and tweak for so long then you want to fly, and its still pretty hard to beat FS9 all dressed up with scenery,traffic,complex birds, and frame rates. I'm sure we'll get there in time with FSX too..Thanks'Garett

There could be one other reason as well for the extra polys. Has anyone seen the tons and tons of long thin polys, maybe 300 feet long, stretching vertically under the ground around airports and cities? I notice them once in awhile when loading is complete, for a split second while sitting on the runway, before all the textures get rendered on buildings etc. My guess is that these polys might be used in the dx10 patch to simulate the long streaking reflections from street lights, taxiway lights etc on wet pavement. It caught my eye as I did a similar effect on a ps2 game I worked on awhile back. The airport interior polys may have a similar placeholder status, awaiting DX10 and its likely more robust alpha blend modes, or may have been intended to be used in the current dx9 version but they ran out of time to implement them. Interesting find though, I'll have to slew in and check them out.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

I would agree with Garrett about "all those little things": they add up.How many are there ? I dunno... In terms of FPS and features they do add up (that is in a negative way). Add up 20% of AI and you loose say 5 fps, add up density in scenery detail and you loose another 5 fps etc...It all adds up.Also one good comment that is so true: at one point and time there is so much that you can tweak, it is time to fly (if it is flyable of course)Pierre

Pierre

... and then (as I switch from my FS9 to FSX paradigm) I remembered that for objects to cast shadows properly in FSX they must be "manifold" ie no open edges. That requires the non-visible polys to exist so that the object is closed. Further the FSX mademdl exporter gets upset (unlike FS9) if some surfaces are textured and some are not. So it's necessary to have and to texture these polys.(That said, I haven't got shadows to show yet in scenery objects!)So apologies for jumping on the poor designer.;)And thanks for the kind words, Garett.Jon

Haldir, those objects that look partially below ground are items like antennae and building cranes: they are fixed height, and when the developer specifies that they want a 200m antenna, 200m is exposed above ground, and whatever is not used is below ground. This was the same in FS9.Jon

> I just keep wondering if all these>"little things" don't start to add up to a bigger picture>named "overall perfromance". -SNIP-To answer THAT question all one has to do is start Filemon.exeand then FSX...just set the filter to display "errors". Theresults will make you cringe!FS9 exhibited similar "##### are they looking THERE" behaviorbut methinks that has been multipled many times over in FSX. Paul

Wide-5.jpg