Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

DirectX 12

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

what do I think ? I think that : 😱.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

21 minutes ago, Kenjiro75 said:

What do you think? Will the FPS number rise when they implement DirectX 12 to the sim?

No.  Asobo already said MSFS probably won't have a significant FPS boost with DirectX 12.  Sorry, I don't have the link.  But it was in one of their Twitch Q&As, I think from last year.  You can go search for it if you want.  

That Twitch Q&A was a while ago, but I believe it was either Jorg or Seb who said it.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 5

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I think it has more to do with Xbox-PC streamlining than with performance

DirectX 12 Ultimate is the first graphics API that breaks that rule. It will be used on both Windows as well as the next-gen Xbox Series X. With DX12 Ultimate, MS is basically integrating the two platforms.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/what-is-the-difference-between-directx-11-and-directx-12/

• Like 2

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Well, "significant" is the key word here. If significant is like +15 fps, then I'd be happy even with +5. Every frame matters!

5 FPS would mean a 10-15% increase for most users and that is not significant thats huge.

Not significant in my book and with 40 fps would be lower than  1 or 2. (thats stil 5%  and I would call 5% significant)

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

DX12 is needed for XBOX, and as the devs stated in a Q&A last year for the full implementation PBR and DLSS not for performance gain. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

No.  Asobo already said MSFS probably won't have a significant FPS boost with DirectX 12.  Sorry, I don't have the link.  But it was in one of their Twitch Q&As, I think from last year.  You can go search for it if you want.  

That Twitch Q&A was a while ago, but I believe it was either Jorg or Seb who said it.

You maybe right, but IIRC LR claimed that simmers shouldn't expect a significant FPS increase when they were implementing Vulkan into Xplane11, what happened? Simmers got a significant FPS increase as it happened. I think this claim by Asobo is so that we don't expect too much performance increase, but are pleasantly surprised... Everyone wins. This is what happened to me on Xplane11.

I suppose they were moving from a slow and cumbersome OpenCL to a modern API like Vulkan, so who knows what performance increase we might gain?  Similarly P3D v5 received a rather massive increase when LM moved P3D from V4 (DirectX 11) to V5 (DirectX 12) so I'm choosing to be hopeful and positive about the move of MSFS to DirectX 12

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

I believe the guidance here is we may see performance improvements with DX12 and that would be a bonus but that is not the reason for the switch to the newer API and should not be an expectation.

Past experience with other sims does give us hope though. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

39 minutes ago, Kenjiro75 said:

Why?  

Why 🤣

Nine months after release, about four years after they begun the work the sim is still unstable and each upgrade brings bugs and/or some downgrading.  

And the only experience we have of a sim  going DX12 is P3D5 which brought to their knees the mainstream graphic cards to the point that the only  recommended solution was to reduce the game settings.

So I do not welcome with cheerfulness the idea of MFS going DX12, a major change.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think it may bring some performance increase, but it will be slight, not anywhere near 15-20% for example.
Even a 10% gain only gives an extra 3 FPS when you struggle for 30 FPS, but it may just put some users just on the right side of the line to hold on to 30 FPS (this what I hope for at least).

Also, I think MS/Asobo don't want to get any hopes up.  They did say the switch to DX12 was mainly for compatibility (Xbox), and the ability to add extra features like ray-tracing.
Just some added smoothness and freeing up the main thread a bit would make it worth it I think. 

It will obviously bring its fair share of problems also, such as potentially more VRAM usage as seen with P3D DX12, and issues with draw distance etc. like with Xplane Vulkan. 

My main fear is the obvious one - I just hope it doesn't affect the sim negatively when introduced.  A DX11 / DX12 toggle switch would be good!  :smile:

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, eaim said:

You maybe right, but IIRC LR claimed that simmers shouldn't expect a significant FPS increase when they were implementing Vulkan into Xplane11, what happened? Simmers got a significant FPS increase as it happened. I think this claim by Asobo is so that we don't expect too much performance increase, but are pleasantly surprised... Everyone wins. This is what happened to me on Xplane11.

I suppose they were moving from a slow and cumbersome OpenCL to a modern API like Vulkan, so who knows what performance increase we might gain?  Similarly P3D v5 received a rather massive increase when LM moved P3D from V4 (DirectX 11) to V5 (DirectX 12) so I'm choosing to be hopeful and positive about the move of MSFS to DirectX 12

Well, I hope we get an FPS gain with DirectX 12.  But I'm not expecting it, based on what Asobo said at the live Twitch Q&A.  But yeah, if Asobo could surprise us and give us FPS gains with DirectX 12, that would be awesome of course.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

It's simple, people will try DX 12 , find out they need a new GPU to run it properly  and start trying to figure out how they are going to come up with $1800 to buy one in today's market. 

• Like 6

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310