Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

Simulator clouds

@mSparks

Override_clouds=0 does not seem to work.  the sky remains clear and the default clouds do not form

DIREGARD THE ABOVE FOR NOW.

When I loaded a flight Wx showed as scattered but later it became clear so that could be the reason. But this is strange as on flight load menu Wx was showing up as scattered and also in game it was scattered but within a minute or two it went to CAVOK weird , we do not have such drastic changes in weather here unless it's up NE

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

4 hours ago, peroni said:

@DJJose do you have the Hotstart TBM900? The option that Goran mentioned above is only available for that product. 

Nope. I don't even have Goran's flagship add-on installed. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 hours ago, GoranM said:

What @peroni said.  From what I understand, other developers need to follow suit and implement the same thing to their add ons.

Now I understand. xEnviro doe have vc rain effects, but they can certainly look better. I also know that the 737 Zibo mod has them, so the librain plugin does work.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

53 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

@mSparks

Override_clouds=0 does not seem to work.  the sky remains clear and the default clouds do not form

DIREGARD THE ABOVE FOR NOW.

When I loaded a flight Wx showed as scattered but later it became clear so that could be the reason. But this is strange as on flight load menu Wx was showing up as scattered and also in game it was scattered but within a minute or two it went to CAVOK weird , we do not have such drastic changes in weather here unless it's up NE

I've been so far round the houses with the weather stuff, and in the end, I've just come back to default (at least for now).

If you have "match real world conditions" enabled (or an updater plugin like NOAA active), when you start XP it will start with the last weather when you closed it and then change when it finishes getting the updates - falls back on CAVOK if the update fails (happens a lot :( ), I suspect this is what has happened here.

EC/ECE is a great proof of concept, and there is good stuff coming for sure, but for day to day use there are still to many real issues that make them a not great choice for day to day flying, for me especially more recent versions of EC seem to have a performance issue in VR, I think its sending double the depth buffer size (unnecessary afaik) halving performance in VR, I can "just" get it working at decent enough framerates, but its just to big a performance hit atm to use in VR (looks fantastic tho....).

I've then gone to "match real world conditions" with a 2 hour update time. Big realisation here is the updates are do not seem to be needed when moving from one place to another. Flying from clouds to CAVOK works without updates, clouds into thunderstorm - while in motion the weather does update (at least it seems to...) having it set at 2 hours means the "jumps" in weather are rare enough to not really care (once every 2 hours... I can live with that).

There's then a ton of other considerations. For example Nanobot (the EC genius) has been researching using CFD to generate the clouds from wind systems, this will look amazing, but there is no way that could be synced over a network DCS style

I also don't think DCS is doing the kind of dynamics that volumetrics generally enables, they "just" _look_ great. Sooo much more to the weather than looking good realistic in screenshots.

21 hours ago, GoranM said:

If Saso needs to do more work on it, ie. compiling, then it's unlikely it'll happen until after the CL650 is finished.

My understanding is there is an issue related to VR in the current codebase, given what I just said about EC above this issue may even be Laminar side.

I'd also say that librain dev is probably pushed down the todo list under the expectation that XP12 released next week will make it obsolete.

NO, I don't think XP12 comes next week, probably more like 12 months, but since saying this is heresy.......

AutoATC Developer

The override option does not work 

51 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I also don't think DCS is doing the kind of dynamics that volumetrics generally enables, they "just" _look_ great. Sooo much more to the weather than looking good realistic in screenshots.

Reveal hidden contents

NO, I don't think XP12 comes next week, probably more like 12 months, but since saying this is heresy.......

This is just the first phase with clouds being added, they are working on the weather engine behind it.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

The override option does not work 

override 1 disables XP cloud drawing - it doesn't control EC, you can also set it at run time, so if you set it back to zero with EC running it will draw both.

1 hour ago, Pastaiolo said:

This is just the first phase with clouds being added, they are working on the weather engine behind it.

It was more that a need to synchronize their appearance over a network basically prohibits generating them dynamically client side.

Say you've got a decent air mass simulation that generates some gorgeous lenticular clouds

49f71da609a941b5619c307fe32a2f3c.jpg

Its simply not technically possible to share the data used to generate them in real time over a network in a way they will be synchronised between clients

AutoATC Developer

45 minutes ago, mSparks said:

override 1 disables XP cloud drawing - it doesn't control EC, you can also set it at run time, so if you set it back to zero with EC running it will draw both.

If set to 0 clouds disappear 

28 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

If set to 0 clouds disappear 

might need to force a refresh? - e.g. change one of the layers alts

hang on... eh... which clouds?

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

47 minutes ago, mSparks said:

might need to force a refresh? - e.g. change one of the layers alts

hang on... eh... which clouds?

have EC installed but I want to disable them during a flight and get the default clouds.   I am using NOAA and hardly ever go with custom weather.

1 minute ago, HumptyDumpty said:

have EC installed but I want to disable them during a flight and get the default clouds.   I am using NOAA and hardly ever go with custom weather.

I'll have a look this evening

AutoATC Developer

Just now, mSparks said:

I'll have a look this evening

thanks

8 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

thanks

OK, there's something strange there - it looks like maybe setting override clouds back to 0 is clearing the weather.

AutoATC Developer

yeah it clears it up.