Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

Simulator clouds

I have no problem taking the reciprocal challenge.

SS me some xplane clouds and I'll find you a RW picture that looks similar.

AutoATC Developer

29 minutes ago, Greazer said:

DCS Clouds A++

MSFS Clouds A

X Plane Clouds F

X Plane + xEnviro Clouds F

X Plane + SkyMaxx Clouds F

You seem to be missing the point, this isn't about how "nice" you think horrible weather looks, its about how closely it actually matches real weather conditions

e.g.

X-Plane default clouds

oSwjAWq.png

Quick look for RW

1.jpg?ip=x480

HTH can you rate that worse than

MV2VZoM.png

closest RW

3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

AutoATC Developer

And, btw, this is a deadly serious topic. do you know what happens to you if you try and fly in anything that looks like MSFS weather?

No?

THIS HAPPENS:

(and I cry every time I watch that)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Can we have a special section just for Greazers unqualified rants and opinions?  I need a good chuckle with my morning coffee.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

Can we have a special section just for Greazers unqualified rants and opinions?  I need a good chuckle with my morning coffee.

Goran,

The last thread was closed, but I wanted to let you know that the librain plugin does not appear in the drop down menu even in win 10.

I though that only the plugins inside the plugins folder were the ones that showed up in the menu and not the plugins dropped into the airplane's plugin folder. Maybe I'm wrong?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

10 hours ago, mSparks said:

I have no problem taking the reciprocal challenge.

SS me some xplane clouds and I'll find you a RW picture that looks similar.

Is ‘finding a (presumably undoctored) picture on the internet that looks similar to a screenshot of XPs clouds’ seriously how you measure how realistically clouds appear in use in the sim? 

Not very reliable. By that yardstick Rex’s old FSX billboards would be the most realistic sim clouds as they were literally photos of real clouds. But I don’t doubt for a second that for you XP11s clouds appear real, and more power to you.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Goran,

The last thread was closed, but I wanted to let you know that the librain plugin does not appear in the drop down menu even in win 10.

I though that only the plugins inside the plugins folder were the ones that showed up in the menu and not the plugins dropped into the airplane's plugin folder. Maybe I'm wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo990r79zlkl3bt/Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.34.40 am.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uirphgtv57cymky/Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.34.47 am.png?dl=0

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scotchegg said:

is ‘finding a (presumably undoctored) picture on the internet that looks similar to a screenshot of XPs clouds’ seriously how you measure how realistically clouds appear in use in the sim? 

Unfortunately the real litmus test is "did the real world weather kill me and the passengers".

seems even the tubliner guys need more experience with that.

So I'll take whatever I can get to flawlessly understand the weather and its implications.

I did my PPLH in MVFR, I would never have flown in those conditions, but my examiner said we could, I did a flawless flight (think the examiner wished we didn't go up during the flight, because one of the radio beacons he was relying on to know where we were had failed) - only because I had done a similar journey 100 times in MVFR in XP11. 

It was on return (and passing) that I found:

https://www.thinkaviation.net/levels-of-vfr-ifr-explained/

3.  Marginal VFR (MVFR): Ceilings 1,000 to 3,000 feet and/or visibility is 3-5 miles inclusive.

MVFR = 1000-3000′ and/or 3-5 miles

This is when VFR pilots kill themselves all the time. If you haven’t flown in MVFR, ask a CFII to take you up so you can scare the sh@*t out of yourself.

^^^ puts it to mildly.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Are you sure the last shot is not from an explosion ? 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

43 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Are you sure the last shot is not from an explosion ? 

It is from an explosion - kinda the point, thats the only RW shot I can find that look like MSFS clouds.

That kind of cloud formation is caused by rapidly rising turbulent air, there are two ways to make that, an explosion, or CB. However CB looks like

fly0085712422x800x800.jpg

Both as deadly as each other, the latter much more so for pilots (XP does not [currently] support CB formations - you can see them on the horizon from high flight levels, but they will always disappear before you reach them)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

I am sure if you search you will find CB's that can match  MFS ,  do not think posting a shot of cloud formation due to an explosion is correct , the factor here is not due to a natural phenomenon. With clouds there are many factors happening.

Many things are taken into account when doing plausible cloud formation in a flight simulator , XP is limited.  Give me formations till the tropopause.

LR should start with wx themes first just like DCS 2.7 and then move forward.  

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Just now, HumptyDumpty said:

I am sure if you search you will find CB's that can match  MFS

I'm sure you wont,

because a small CB is 20 miles across and 20,000 feet high

whereas all MSFS clouds seem to look like that, even what i presume are supposed to be nimbostratus clouds, but they should look like

overcast-sky-with-rain-clouds-picture-id

What+are+the+different+types+of+clouds.j

AutoATC Developer