Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

How to transition from VOR to an ILS Approach?

23 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Fortunately, I still have FSX Steam which has the default Cessna 172 and I'll use that instead.

My guess is that the Falcon will fly this route... Keep it at 225 kts or so, and the GTN will create a big enough teardrop pattern that the autopilot will follow it.. try it!

Bert

30 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

My guess is that the Falcon will fly this route... Keep it at 225 kts or so, and the GTN will create a big enough teardrop pattern that the autopilot will follow it.. try it!

With practice I bet the Falcon will. Thank you.

I'm getting distracted by the anti-virus in Win 10 Pro. It's affecting the smoothness of the flight. I'm getting fed up with remembering to turn the anti-virus off every new session with the PC and P3D. So far Windows Security has resisted all my efforts to permanently disable it by tweaking the registry in several places, trying kiosk type software without anti-virus, making changes to group policies, etc.  I suspect it will also resist automatically disabling it using automation software... and I'm starting to wonder about other options: dual-boot or downgrading to Win 7 64-bit since I plan to stick with 4.5 in this pc anyway.

Edited by oneleg

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

31 minutes ago, oneleg said:

I'm getting distracted by the anti-virus in Win 10 Pro. It's affecting the smoothness of the flight. I'm getting fed up with remembering to turn the anti-virus off every new session with the PC and P3D.

Whatever are you talking about?  Which anti virus do you have??

Bert

12 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Whatever are you talking about?  Which anti virus do you have??

The default anti-virus in Windows 10 Pro (build 19041) ie. WIndows Security formerly known as WIndows Defender in earlier versions of Windows.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

45 minutes ago, oneleg said:

The default anti-virus in Windows 10 Pro (build 19041) ie. WIndows Security formerly known as WIndows Defender in earlier versions of Windows.

I am missing something.. we all have this Windows Security running, and yet we do not have to turn it off to fly P3D..

What is different?

Bert

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am missing something.. we all have this Windows Security running, and yet we do not have to turn it off to fly P3D..

What is different?

I have always been under the impression that the disk access speed in my system as well as in others is different with and without anti-virus loaded. Also, I think the 'best practice' is to disable the anti-virus when running MS' flightsims especially when installing add-ons. 

In my system, with anti-virus loaded, clicking on the desktop icon to the ready-to-fly screen is slower with the anti-virus enabled.

Anti-virus enabled:
P3D v4:  around 2 minutes and 10-20 seconds
FSX SE: around 50-55 seconds

Anti-virus disabled:
P3D v4: around 1 minute and 5-10 seconds
FSX SE:  around 34-35 seconds

It'd be nice to know how that compares with other load times.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

18 minutes ago, oneleg said:

I have always been under the impression that the disk access speed in my system as well as in others is different with and without anti-virus loaded. Also, I think the 'best practice' is to disable the anti-virus when running MS' flightsims especially when installing add-ons.

Two different things... When installing addons, disabling AV is sometimes necessary, because the install program writes to various locations.

For loading and running, you should create an exclusion in Windows Security for your P3D folder, so it does not get scanned at loading time.  This is a one time thing.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Two different things... When installing addons, disabling AV is sometimes necessary, because the install program writes to various locations.

For loading and running, you should create an exception in Windows Security for your P3D folder, so it does not get scanned at loading time.  This is a one time thing.

I've created folder exclusions. The problem is that these are temporary. Windows deletes them.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

27 minutes ago, oneleg said:

I've created folder exclusions. The problem is that these are temporary. Windows deletes them.

Hmmm, that is not something I have seen... maybe others can jump in.  😕

Bert

31 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hmmm, that is not something I have seen... maybe others can jump in.  😕

I hope so. Microsoft probably disabled the ability to permanently disable the anti-virus in one of its recent OS updates.  It seems to me that the inability to permanently disable an anti-virus also now applies to 3rd party vendors. I've tried permanently disabling the anti-virus in free versions of AVG and Avast and the paid version of Norton. I couldn't get it to work. The thing is, the ability to not auto-update Windows is also gone as far as I know. 

Btw, thank you all for the tips on approaching the ILS on runway 10R at KMRY. Took some slewing and practice to get it right. 🙂

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 4/22/2021 at 11:36 PM, Bert Pieke said:

If you want to do this by the book, set the heading bug to the runway heading and when turned to final, press HDG on the autopilot.  Then press the CDI button on the GTN, switching to VLOC mode.  With the ILS frequency selected, you see the glideslope indicators active, and above you.  Then push the APR button on the autopilot and slow down as the autopilot will fly you down to the runway.  Speedbrakes, gear, flaps.  At 300 feet, turn off the autopilot and land by hand.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:12 PM, Bert Pieke said:

I just looked at that approach on my GTN..

If you activate the approach to 10R via SNS, the autopilot will fly you to ZEBED in NAV mode on the autopilot, via SNS.

Fly at 2600 feet.

Then, it will turn you around at ZEBED and turn you to final.  Just try it!

@Bert Pieke Hi, I revisited your instruction flying to ZEBED but having a problem using the GTN (in a window) in FSX Steam and the Cessna 172.  I can't get the GTN to go to the ZEBED intersection. Creating a waypoint in the default planner also doesn't work. Do you use a frequency to navigate to the ZEBED intersection?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

8 minutes ago, oneleg said:

@Bert Pieke Hi, I revisited your instruction flying to ZEBED but having a problem using the GTN (in a window) in FSX Steam and the Cessna 172.  I can't get the GTN to go to the ZEBED intersection. Creating a waypoint in the default planner also doesn't work. Do you use a frequency to navigate to the ZEBED intersection?

This is what I wrote:

"I just looked at that approach on my GTN..

If you activate the approach to 10R via SNS, the autopilot will fly you to ZEBED in NAV mode on the autopilot, via SNS.

Fly at 2600 feet.

Then, it will turn you around at ZEBED and turn you to final.  Just try it!"

Did you activate the "Approach to 10R via SNS"?

Does it look like my first screenshot?

With the autopilot on NAV and the GTN in GPS mode, the airplane should fly the entire approach without you touching a thing..

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

With the autopilot on NAV and the GTN in GPS mode, the airplane should fly the entire approach without you touching a thing..

Your first screen shot shows a NAV frequency of 108.90 and for Comm it's 136.97. Where did these numbers come from.  "...without you touching a thing..." is what I'm trying to figure it out. 

To keep it simplier, I took SNS out of the picture and just departed from an airport KWVI which is 20 miles north of 10R in KMRY. When I depart runway 20 from KWVI what should I have as my destination for my first an only leg to ZEBED? Should I be using GPS or NAV?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

2 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Your first screen shot shows a NAV frequency of 108.90 and for Comm it's 136.97. Where did these numbers come from.  "...without you touching a thing..." is what I'm trying to figure it out. 

To keep it simplier, I took SNS out of the picture and just departed from an airport KWVI which is 20 miles north of 10R in KMRY. When I depart runway 20 from KWVI what should I have as my destination for my first an only leg to ZEBED? Should I be using GPS or NAV?

The frequencies do not matter.

On the GTN, load and activate an approach to the destination airport via SNS.

GTN in GPS mode, autopilot in NAV mode.

Fly at 2600 feet hands off.

Bert

Main GTN page:

PROC

Approach

KMRY,  RNAV 10R LPV,  with transition SNS

Load and activate

Bert