Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

How to transition from VOR to an ILS Approach?

Load and activate from Runway 20 in KWVI?  When do I activate the auto-pilot in the Cessna and press NAV?

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

6 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Load and activate from Runway 20 in KWVI?  When do I activate the auto-pilot in the Cessna and press NAV?

After takeoff.

SNS should be the current active waypoint on the GTN.

Climb to 2600 feet and then fly with ALT on the autopilot.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

After takeoff.

SNS should be the current active waypoint on the GTN.

Climb to 2600 feet and then fly with ALT on the autopilot.

I'm taking off from KWVI. This is what I have before taking off:

Do I still need to use SNS if I take off from KWVI and all I want to do is get to the ZEBED intersection?

kwvi01.jpg?raw=1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

2 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Do I still need to use SNS if I take off from KWVI and all I want to do is get to the ZEBED intersection?

You do not have to... there are two transition options, SNS and ZEBED.

At the very beginning you were trying to fly via SNS, so that is why I suggested that option.

They both work.  

Try the SNS option, it is more interesting!

Bert

29 minutes ago, oneleg said:

This is what I have before taking off:

Why do you have the leg to the FAF active?

Your magenta arrow should be pointing to ZEBED...

Are you adding steps to the suggested plan??

Edit:

Also your GTN is in VLOC mode...

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

23 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You do not have to... there are two transition options, SNS and ZEBED.

At the very beginning you were trying to fly via SNS, so that is why I suggested that option.

They both work.  

Try the SNS option, it is more interesting!

I hope I'm getting this right. Please let me know if you see anything wrong below. I'll report back later.

kwvi02%20via%20SNS.jpg?raw=1

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

1 minute ago, oneleg said:

I hope I'm getting this right. Please let me know if you see anything wrong below. I'll report back later.

Better, but your GTN is in VLOC mode!

Bert

What should it be in? How do I change it?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

GPS mode, by pushing the CDI button on the GTN map page.

Lastly, did you add SNS as a waypoint?

You should select it as the transition when setting up the approach..

Bert

Go back and read my instructions for setting up the approach, and follow it step by step.

Main GTN page:

PROC

Approach

KMRY,  RNAV 10R LPV,  with transition SNS

Load and activate

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I may have confused you here... Sorry! 🙂

You started off wanting an ILS approach, and here I am showing you how to do the RNAV approach to the same runway..

Good news is that if you actually fly the RNAV approach and see how it all works (staying in GPS mode all the way), it will be easier to go back and fly the ILS approach later.. where you will have to switch from GPS mode to VLOC mode on final, as was explained before..

Edit: I'll stop interfering at this point, and let you fly :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

18 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Go back and read my instructions for setting up the approach, and follow it step by step.

Main GTN page:

PROC

Approach

KMRY,  RNAV 10R LPV,  with transition SNS

Load and activate

Ok? I'm not sure if I understood what you meant by 'with transition SNS'. I don't believe I saw that as an option while following your instructions.

kwvi03%20via%20SNS.jpg?raw=1

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

14 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I may have confused you here... Sorry! 🙂

You started off wanting an ILS approach, and here I am showing you how to do the RNAV approach to the same runway..

Good news is that if you actually fly the RNAV approach and see how it all works (staying in GPS mode all the way), it will be easier to go back and fly the ILS approach later.. where you will have to switch from GPS mode to VLOC mode on final, as was explained before..

Edit: I'll stop interfering at this point, and let you fly :cool:

No problem. I really appreciate your time. I can fly to the ILS feather manually and then fly the approach based on suggestions here no problem. It's getting to the ZEBED intersection from the last leg without manual input that's giving me a headache. 🙂  

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1