Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

How to transition from VOR to an ILS Approach?

It went right through SNS. I'm missing something.

kwvi04%20via%20SNS.jpg?raw=1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

35 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Ok? I'm not sure if I understood what you meant by 'with transition SNS'. I don't believe I saw that as an option while following your instructions.

On the Aproach page there are three options, side by side:

Airport - Approach - Transition :happy:

Bert

8 minutes ago, oneleg said:

It went right through SNS. I'm missing something.

Did you have "Vectors" selected as Transition?

In that screenshot, the navigation is SUSP (suspended).

Try again, this time with SNS selected as the Transition.

You can do this in the air..

ps. the Magenta colored waypoint is always the next destination

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Did you have "Vectors" selected as Transition?

In that screenshot, the navigation is SUSP (suspended).

Try again, this time with SNS selected as the Transition.

You can do this in the air..

From you instructions --from the GTN main page, you mention PROC as the first step. Shouldn't I select "Flight Plan"?

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

15 minutes ago, oneleg said:

From you instructions --from the GTN main page, you mention PROC as the first step. Shouldn't I select "Flight Plan"?

Nope.. You can go straight to PROC

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

If you want to start with Flight Plan:

Flight Plan:

KWVI

KMRY

Then PROC:

KMRY is already filled in, select Approach and Transition

Load and activate.

• Upvote 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Nope.. PROC

It worked. Thank you Bert. I learned a lot from you today.  The teardrop turn is interesting and I can't wait to try it with the Falcon and other fast jets.

kwvi04%20via%20SNS%20-%20teardrop.jpg?ra

I am also getting an appreciation for FSX Steam in ultra settings flying low and slow. Default FSX Steam with default planes and scenery is actually pretty good. The only thing that bug me is the inabiility to hide the yokes in the default planes especially in the  Cessna, Mooney, and the Baron.

Lots of things to learn yet on the topic. Would appreciate any suggestions for sources to read or videos to watch. 🙂

Edited by oneleg

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

8 minutes ago, oneleg said:

It worked.

I am very happy to hear it!

The GTN is a great piece of gear.. one thing to understand for all the GPS units, is that they can steer the autopilot in GPS mode, and disconnect and hand over control to the NAV radios in VLOC mode.

So, it really matters which mode you are in!

Default planes.. sorry, but why would you fly in any of them if you have a2a and others?

🙂

• Upvote 1

Bert

Forgot to ask, on one of the screens the default altitude is 3600 ft. I changed it to 2600 ft per your suggestion and the approach chart. I also wanted to avoid having to climb that altitude. I tried to change it to 2600 but the default altitude for ZEBED had a 3600 constraint which I had to remove. Would you know why the default altitude for the GTN is at 3600 ft? 

kwvi04%20via%20SNS%20-%203600.jpg?raw=1

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

The official approach is supposed to be flown at 3600 feet, and then, in the teardrop descend to 2600 feet.

I flew it once at 2600 feet and did not hit terrain, so I figured you could try it at 2600 feet all the way.

But that is likely in violation of some rules somewhere..

No need to change it on the GTN, just fly whatever you like (it may complain, but just ignore that..)

• Upvote 1

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am very happy to hear it!

The GTN is a great piece of gear.. one thing to understand for all the GPS units, is that they can steer the autopilot in GPS mode, and disconnect and hand over control to the NAV radios in VLOC mode.

So, it really matters which mode you are in!

Default planes.. sorry, but why would you fly in any of them if you have a2a and others?

🙂

Fantastic piece of info: "...GPS units, is that they can steer the autopilot in GPS mode, and disconnect and hand over control to the NAV radios in VLOC mode..." Thank you. Does the disconnect have to be done manually?

With regards to why I like the default planes... I like the standardized all-in-one panel in them. It also minimizes extraneous details when learning something new. For example, some of the 3rd party planes can't just be started with a simple ctrl-e keystroke without something going wrong or smoking (eg. the Milviz C310 Redux). Some of the 3rd party planes have 'Ready to Start'. But they're not really ready. Some switches still have to be turned and waited on.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

12 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The official approach is supposed to be flown at 3600 feet, and then, in the teardrop descend to 2600 feet.

FlWjlfR.jpg

Bert

5 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Does the disconnect have to be done manually?

For ILS approaches, there is an automatic switch option, which I do not use..

I use the CDI button as required.

Bert

42 minutes ago, oneleg said:

Would appreciate any suggestions for sources to read or videos to watch. 🙂

Search for Garmin GTN Youtube videos, there are quite a few..

And, I do hope you have actual Garmin GTN Pilots Guide as bedtime reading..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I've read the RXP manuals but didn't find then too helpful since, as reference manuals,  they primarily explain the 'whats' and not so much the 'hows' and the 'whys' of the features in the units.

I didn't know about the Garmin GTN Pilot's Guide. I just downloaded a copy (also found downloadable copies for the GNSes). Thanks for mentioning it.

Edited by oneleg
Deleted video link.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1