Sign in to follow this  
Ephedrin

advice requested on rotary knobs (PMDG, FlightsimPM GA AP)

Grüß dich Oliver,

I'm a complete newbie to AAO and have always assigned my buttons and axes using FSUIPC and Linda. Now I got the FlightsimPM GA autopilot panel which has rotary knobs for heading, altitude etc. So I got AAO and now I'm trying to assing the rotaries to the PMDG NGXu MCP. 

At first using the Key Down event only I was only able to increase the HDG by a single degree and then nothing happened anymore until I changed the value behind the event, then the heading increased by another single degree. So I went searching the internet and found an old thread in the FSUIPC forum where Pete told someone to use "release" events too, so I tried the same in AAO and now I can indeed increase the HDG. However it increases by a minimum of 2 degrees every time, sometimes even 3 or 4 degrees. This is how I set up the knob:

xl2gejdq.jpg

I played a bit with the repeat feature and with the ones and zeros behind the event but either id didn't change at all or by the same it does now.

So is there a way to reduce the heading increment to 1 degree per hardware detent? Or will this require writing a script?

Danke dir,

Marc

I just found the PMDG section in the documentation.. Well I guess I'll try this one first ^^

1 hour ago, Ephedrin said:

Or will this require writing a script?

Scripts sending the PMDG mouse events are probably the better alternative.

LORBY-SI

13 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Scripts sending the PMDG mouse events are probably the better alternative.

Yes it seems so. It's going to be a steep learning curve but it looks promising. 😃

Hi Oliver,

I know it's an english forum and normally that wouldn't be a problem but I've tried to get my rotary buttons to work for 2 days now so I'll write it in german now, I hardly understand what I do anyway.. 

Ich hoffe, du kannst mir helfen, zumindest bei einem Einstieg, dass ich darauf aufbauen kann. Ich habe die letzten beiden Tage dein Manual durchgearbeitet, hab die RPN Befehle auf der P3D-Seite als Vorlage genommen und versucht, wenigstens mal einen der Knöpfe mit der PMDG NGXu vernünftig zum Laufen zu bringen. Alles was ich schaffe, ist immer entweder eine ewig langsame Bewegung (per Mouse events 16384·(>K:#70032) ) oder eine grobe und irgendwie völlig ungenaue Bedienung durch die "Simulator synch" Funktion. 

Ich habe mir die von dir vorbereiteten Scripts angeschaut und verstehe zwar grob, was du da machst, aber nicht, wie ich das auf eigene Scripts anwenden kann. Mir fehlt da einfach das absolute Grundwissen über jegliche Programmiersprachen. Unter Punkt 4.2 ist mir zwar klar, was du mit dem Beispiel (L:Scripts-MyAltIncScript) (>K:AP_ALT_VAR_INC) meinst, aber ich bekomm es nicht zum Laufen, die Werte 100 und 1000 haben nachher keinen Einfluss auf nichts. Bei mir sieht das dann so aus: (L:PMDG·737-MCP·ALT·inc)·(>K:#70032)· Hatte aber auch schon andere Formen. Unter MCP ALT inc steht 16384·(>K:#70032) wie im Manual. 

Unter einem Mouse event hätte ich jetzt als Laie auch verstanden, dass hier die selben Mausbeschleunigungen wirken, die PMDG eben bei Bedienung mit der Maus eingebaut hat, dem ist aber nicht so. Alles was ich erreiche, ist ein langsamen raufzählen der Höhe in 100 Inkrementen, einen 100er per Raste des Drehknopfes bei langsamem Drehen, schneller zu drehen lässt die Funktion nur aussetzen. 

Mir ist klar, dass die Funktion "Fast turn" dazu gedacht ist, ein zweites "schnelleres" Script zu nutzen, das dann die 1000er nutzt, aber ich habs seither nicht geschafft, irgendsowas zu schreiben oder zu finden. 

Zwischenzeitlich habe ich mir auch die PMDG Module für LINDA angeschaut, um über die Art der "incfast" codes auf eine Idee zu kommen, aber das sieht eben wieder völlig anders aus.  

Ich wäre dir super dankbar, wenn du mir da mit einem Einstieg helfen könntest, dass ich die MCP Drehknöpfe sinnvoll nutzen kann. Alles andere war überhaupt kein Problem, auch die Toggle-Funktion im Manual zB für die Flight Directors konnte ich problemlos umsetzen. Aber die Drehknöpfe und die PMDG Beschleunigung lassen mich verzweifeln. 

Viele Grüße

Marc

Please stick to English. If you need support that goes beyond the technicalities of the app, please send an email with your proof of purchase to the address on the last page of the manual. Be prepared that if an individual implementation of anything is requested, then that will not be free of charge. 

1 hour ago, Ephedrin said:

einen 100er per Raste des Drehknopfes

Yes, that is exactly what is to be expected. AxisAndOhs doesn't have "Controller Acceleration", and the PMDG "API" doesn't seem to have that either. Acceleration wouldn't work with scripts anyway, and should rather be implemented in the scripts themselves.

Assuming that you have the current AAO version from the shops, I would suggest a script that simply repeats the desired event, saved to an additional button assignment with "fast turn". (=to use fast turn you need 2 assignments for the same button - one event for normal turn, and another event for fast turn)

16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032)

In version 2.07 there is a "repeat" option, and the same can be written like this:

16384·(>K:#70032|5)

As always, if you want to try the 2.07, send me an email with your proof of purchase.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

6 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032) 16384·(>K:#70032)

okay, that is what you meant with "keep the script as simple as possible".. thanks a lot this helps a ton and doesn't require any acceleration anymore.

I'll send you an email for 2.07!

thank you!

For the record, this would be the most effective way of using the mouse codes for a PMDG event - you set it as the value to send to the event (the little box next to the Key Event selector - spinning the mouse wheel over the left and right half of the box makes for small or big changes of the number)

51135695806_77de4d8641_c.jpg

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

ahhhh... okay. doh... the whole things starts to make sense to me now lol...

Oliver,

doing this it will only turn the altitude down here, regardless if I set 16384 for up or 8192 for down. Is there possibly a bug?

Also I noticed that the value box of the key down event adds 1000 on the right side and the value for the key up event adds 100. 

Edited by Ephedrin

Can we please stick to the emails?

At the moment I can't check this, I don't have any PMDG planes installed on my computer anymore. For the time being you will have to use scripts instead.

Are you quite certain about the "0" key up event? When I added this code a few months back, I never had to use that. All mouse events just worked.

LORBY-SI