Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

CTD - 0xc0000409 (ucrtbase.dll). A solution for AMD platform

Hi,

A few "lucky" folks suffer from recurrent CTDs, and I am one of them. 🥳
The worst is the 0xc0000005 whose cause remains unknown and which spoils the pleasure of using MSFS. I talked about it here.

But there is another "variant", the 0xc0000409, aka ucrtbase.dll, which also affects a lot of people if we refer to the official MSFS forum. This problem occurs especially when using third party programs like FSUIPC, some joystick utilities, or even flight planners.

For several months I no longer use FSTramp (ex- FSNavigator for those who remember it) because it immediately causes a CTD "ucrtbase.dll" and the developer of this great program remains deaf to the complaints from users claiming that the problem comes from our PCs and not from his prog. Since there is IMO no flight planner with the same features and the same ease of use that FSTramp I sought the cause of this problem for months.

Today (I was bored) I closed all non-Windows services from msconfig, rebooted the PC and started MSFS.
To my surprise I did not have a CTD when launching FSTramp. For the first time in months ...

Digging a little deeper I realized that AMD is installing a service called EasyTune Engine, a thing for beginners who want to overclock their machine automatically and which I have never used, of course. I restarted all the services except this one and guess what ?? No more 0xc0000409.

So unfortunately this is not a universal vaccine since it only concerns the latest generation of AMD CPUs, but I wanted to share this info with you, hoping that it will be useful to some.

🥂

• Like 3

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Just for clarity...  EasyTuneEngine is a program installed (or available) from Gigabyte when you get one of their cards or motherboards.  It's not a generic AMD program.  For me, using a stock AMD6900XT and a non-gigabyte motherboard  EasyTuneEngine is not provided.

This just goes to show how individual PC setups are and how it is important to know ALL the details when trying to solve issues, and again.. how many of these issues are nothing to do with MSFS.

However.. I am really pleased for you that you have solved your CTD problem.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Yes Graham, absolutely, thanks for your clarification.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.