Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Retard - Floating

I'm using the FBW A32NX aircraft.

Playing around with RNAV landings. All is going reasonably well. 

When I get to retard I'm idling power but I seem to float, If I pull back I get some height.

I'm setting the temp, wind, QNH etc on the approach screen on the MCDU. Speed is same as on this screen, today 137kts

What could I be doing wrong? 

I see no screen but 137 should be okay. I have no floating after recent updates. So

- MsFS up to date? Probably yes as we have no choice

- flight model is modern? Check options —> general

- which fbw version do you use? Stable/Dev/Exp? Stand-alone through installer?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Maybe throttle calibration if using the experimental version? In other words idle throttle position not actually bringing the engines back to idle.

I did a flight earlier where the ILS was acting up so did a visual approach and the plane settled down fine.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

For hand flying the landing, try bringing the throttles to idle a bit before it tells you to "retard". Say, at 50' or 40'.

For an ILS landing, using the experimental version, the autoland is working a treat!

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

I have not flown the 320, but I thought I read somewhere when reading articles on how the Airbus system works that that audible warning is not the be all and end all of when to go to idle throttle.

https://safetyfirst.airbus.com/a-focus-on-the-landing-flare/

Thrust Lever Management

The A320 FCTM explains that the flight crew can rapidly retard all thrust levers to IDLE either earlier or later than the 20 ft “RETARD” auto callout reminder depending on the conditions. However, the thrust levers should be at IDLE by touchdown to ensure that the ground spoilers will extend and keep the aircraft on the ground.

A320/A330/A340/A350/A380 aircraft

The 20 ft “RETARD” auto callout is a reminder, not an order. The PF can retard the thrust levers earlier or later depending on the conditions.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

I usually go to idle on the A320NX (Experimental) at around 50ft, and have no issue, as Marsman said it's not set in stone. Also as confirmed further back in this thread, Autoland is working great with the experimental version. ( I don't usually use it unless recording a landing from one of the passenger cabin views)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Cheers, for the replies 

On the second INIT screen on the MCDU, is the "block" value is just the FOB from my top ECAM screen? 

So if ECAM says "FOB: 9460" in block I add 9.4? 

ZFW - is worked out by itself?

Is there anything I need to do to adjust pax/cargo load?

Okay, just an update. Going to idle on finals at about 50ft seems to work very nicely. Two near perfect landings this morning 

I managed to stop the floating by making sure I was heavy enough when I loaded the A320 on start up.

6 hours ago, Malc said:

I managed to stop the floating by making sure I was heavy enough when I loaded the A320 on start up.

Which means that your landing speed was too high for your weight?

The CRJ also has a very 'floaty' behavior when landing. Someone suggested in the forum there to change this value and it made a nice improvement:

lift_coef_ground_effect_mach_table =0.0:1.25

to

lift_coef_ground_effect_mach_table =0.0:1.08