Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Warbird drivers : to hone your short runway skill

Take off from Terre-de-Haut TFFS and land in Terre-de-Bas TFTE in the French Antillas, South of the Guadeloupe. It is a very short 3 nm  flight, quite nice actually, with at both end a short runway (a dirt strip and some wretched coconut trees for the landing).  I have been doing that with the MV Corsair this morning. Not easy but help you to feel better the aircraft. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Very pretty scenery! I didn't find takeoff and landing very difficult. The runways are not comfortably long but free of obstacles. 2000 ft obviously is a runway length I can cope with.

Yesterday a friend who lives in Bavaria asked me to show him a video of a flight over EDMJ. Not as scenic but still nice. The airfield has a tarmac runway of 1362 ft and an elevation of 1860 ft. I was stupid enough to try this with the Corsair despite the fact that there is a max weight of 3 metric tons on this airport. A good pilot should be able to takeoff and land there, I think. I needed 5 attempts and even the last one was not pretty.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Or take a P-40 and go anywhere in Papua New Guinea! (wich would be historically accurate too)

I am not sure I could do those notoriously short grass strips there with the P-40 or Corsair. 🙂

Since I am in the habit of recording videos now, I thought I should make TFFS to TFTE. Well, this was my third landing at TFTE and somehow my base turn was inaccurate and I came in a bit too low. But I used only 75% of the runway! 🙂 On my second landing I forgot to lower the gear - you can see this in the first part of the video. Very scratchy, but somehow I could go around (and restarted the fligt).

Video is uploading now and will be 4k in a several hours, I hope. I did trim the aileron but not the rudder before takeoff, because I always forget to undo the trim and fly in a strange crab-angle when I trim for the takeoff correctly.

Edited by crimplene
  • Like 3

some are really big actually. i know, i tried 😄 but most of my testing was done in the Namibian desert, away from everyone (and very fast loading sceneries since there is only ground textures basically), mind blowing place tho

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, crimplene said:

Video is uploading now and will be 4k in a several hours, I hope. I did trim the aileron but not the rudder before takeoff, because I always forget to undo the trim and fly in a strange crab-angle when I trim cor the takeoff correctly.

Very nice takeoff and landing.

I have a button for "Reset Rudder Trim" then its just a case to press that after gear up.

• Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

Very nice takeoff and landing.

I have a button for "Reset Rudder Trim" then its just a case to press that after gear up.

Thx!

I read about Reset Rudder Trim in another thread and immediately forgot. Thx for reminding, I will set this up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crimplene said:

Thx!

I read about Reset Rudder Trim in another thread and immediately forgot. Thx for reminding, I will set this up.

Your welcome.

I dont know if you already use it and being at work I forget the name, but you can set a button to lock/unlock the tail wheel, thats really nice after you land and want it off as you want to turn off the runway and you dont have to look down click to do so. 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

If you like great little airports( I do with the FG) Try Orbx KORS and 1S2 agreat pair.

I love flying into 1S2 runways 28...man its a wonderfull, wonderfull feeling landing there. Its a very short final!!! 🙂

1s2.jpg

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 1