Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

Another User Back To FS9

That's okay Len. While you're pushing your agenda of a "frame sucking overbloated retro coded behometh", I'll make another trip from a different direction around Hawaii in high definition clarity that's around 25 times, what's possible in FS9. This is quite a geography lesson itself, as mentioned on the screenshot forum!I can see right now, that thanks to FSX, this type of Megascenery could be the answer for dupicating the world in realism that hasn't been possible in the past! This scenery not only looks great, but it adds a great new look of three dimensions on a 2 dimension screen. The look of depth is something to be seen! All this, and no framerate hit!And I won't even mention the much lower altitudes that are now possible with high resolution textures, that no longer turn into the look of a jungle of swirling melted crayons! Yes, it's one meter or better versus 4.8 with FS9. Comes out close to 25 times! :-lolYep, with all the possibilites of MegaScenery, or perhaps selelected Google type scenery, the recreation of the world on a desktop sim has exciting new potential!Yes sir, just keep up the "agenda", keep the flame lit for FS9, and I'll keep watch on that exciting new future! :-lolL.Adamson

Guest Peter Wilding

Hi there guys,Just for the record, Daminan Clark and my team of Carl Hackman and Athony Vos have now teamed up and have been working on FSX products now for several months. Our team and Damain Cark are one of the few development teams that are full time. We are also hooking up with a 5th team member so in depth and breath we are fairly strong and work a lot of man hours per week.There are several issues we need to get right with FSX and one big concern we have is jumping in with 2 feet with a product release before the patch comes out.Though nobody yet admits anything one particular issue is the memory leak in FSX which shows up more on Intel processors and older technology. Then there is the Vista issues still not confirmed. Memory leaks and Vista issues are not confirmed and we are doing our best to ensure we deliver robust and safe products to the market.We are going to be bringing out many FSX products starting with Active sky and then clouds, water, ground textures that all work interactively with the weather elements much like GE PRO does with Active sky.One of the biggest issues is that every product we work on for FSX needs much more work than things took for FS9. We also want to ensure we can take full advantage of what's new in FSX and there is not yet a full SDK from ACES so again we are working blind in some areas.It may interest you all to know FS9 sales are still pretty much the same as they were before FSX came out so our market is a confused one and it looks like a lot of people are still holding on to FS9 and confidence is not yet high in FSX.With all this in mind we owe it to you guys and to ACES and to ourselves to ensure we've got good products which we and you expect us to deliver at the highest quality.Our plan and effort is as always to be best in the market not first in the market.We thank you for your patience and please be advised we are working very hard to ensure our suite of programs and utilities and services for FSX will all be well tested and ready over the following months.We will be making some more formal announcements soon.Peter Wilding

>No I'm not the "great proclaimer" just having observed the FS>series these many years and visiting sites like these and>seeing that at no time in the series history has there been a>uniform underproduction of addons for the current series as>the previous series this far into it. So while you presume to>speak with some modicum of authority yourself, so will I. So>keep your "civilized" tone to your self sir including that>little "great proclaimer" shot. Listen, if you want to ramp up>the insults go ahead. I'll simply call them as I see them. And>you have heard of general observations have you not? Yeah, you>are the particular and the minority. It's an observation I>have every right to make. Hopefully it won't hurt you so much>next time you see it. And since you don't believe it applies>to you why then answer it? That was a rhetorical question by>the way.>I've been thinking about this for a couple days, and have decided that my response to your post was harsh and certainly not in line with the civility that *I* like to see in forums. I therefore apologize for my sarcasm. But I have to say that your post really got under my skin - and therefore, that was one of those times when I should've waited a while before firing a shot across your bow.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

>>I've been thinking about this for a couple days, and have>decided that my response to your post was harsh and certainly>not in line with the civility that *I* like to see in forums.>I therefore apologize for my sarcasm. But I have to say that>your post really got under my skin - and therefore, that was>one of those times when I should've waited a while before>firing a shot across your bow.>I get that way too! It's a hot under the collar response, and most of my replies are actually toned down a bit before hitting the send key.And even at that, I think about my response during the day, and wish that it had been tamed a bit more! Of course, my initial response before taming, is what I'm feeling at the time; but as you say, my thoughts are certainly not "civil" for forum use.But worst of all, is when I really think about, what we're arguing over...Just a computer game, that doesn't even cost that much compared to the many addons and hardware to run it. Yet, we treat it like a religion, and seem to be willing to go to war over it! Yet, I've been this way for a good 10 years, and perhaps too old to make a change! :-hah L.Adamson

Guest Len

>That's okay Len. While you're pushing your agenda of a "frame>sucking overbloated retro coded behometh", I'll make another>trip from a different direction around Hawaii in high>definition clarity that's around 25 times, what's possible in>FS9. This is quite a geography lesson itself, as mentioned on>the screenshot forum!>>I can see right now, that thanks to FSX, this type of>Megascenery could be the answer for dupicating the world in>realism that hasn't been possible in the past! This scenery>not only looks great, but it adds a great new look of three>dimensions on a 2 dimension screen. The look of depth is>something to be seen! All this, and no framerate hit!>>And I won't even mention the much lower altitudes that are now>possible with high resolution textures, that no longer turn>into the look of a jungle of swirling melted crayons! Yes,>it's one meter or better versus 4.8 with FS9. Comes out close>to 25 times! :-lol>>Yep, with all the possibilites of MegaScenery, or perhaps>selelected Google type scenery, the recreation of the world on>a desktop sim has exciting new potential!>>Yes sir, just keep up the "agenda", keep the flame lit for>FS9, and I'll keep watch on that exciting new future! :-lol>>L.AdamsonI've been over these beautiful pictures you paint a thousand times all compromised to one degree or another. Commercial flying on FS9 plows FSX into the dust. Period. FSX can shine for bush flying. They should have released a bush flying FSX and stated it doesn't work for commercial flying. Come back in a few years and we'll get something better out.

Guest Len

>>No I'm not the "great proclaimer" just having observed the>FS>>series these many years and visiting sites like these and>>seeing that at no time in the series history has there been>a>>uniform underproduction of addons for the current series as>>the previous series this far into it. So while you presume>to>>speak with some modicum of authority yourself, so will I. So>>keep your "civilized" tone to your self sir including that>>little "great proclaimer" shot. Listen, if you want to ramp>up>>the insults go ahead. I'll simply call them as I see them.>And>>you have heard of general observations have you not? Yeah,>you>>are the particular and the minority. It's an observation I>>have every right to make. Hopefully it won't hurt you so>much>>next time you see it. And since you don't believe it applies>>to you why then answer it? That was a rhetorical question by>>the way.>>>>I've been thinking about this for a couple days, and have>decided that my response to your post was harsh and certainly>not in line with the civility that *I* like to see in forums.>I therefore apologize for my sarcasm. But I have to say that>your post really got under my skin - and therefore, that was>one of those times when I should've waited a while before>firing a shot across your bow.>>Dave Blevins>Well Dave one apology deserves another. Sorry.

>Just for the record, Daminan Clark and my team of Carl Hackman>and Athony Vos have now teamed up and have been working on FSX>products now for several months. Our team and Damain Cark are>one of the few development teams that are full time. We are>also hooking up with a 5th team member so in depth and breath>we are fairly strong and work a lot of man hours per week.Now that's some good news that should be above debate. I'm still flying FS9, and I've been flying FSX for 6 months now. I enjoy both and can't wait for some great new add ons from Peter, Damian, Carl, and Anthony.

>>I've been over these beautiful pictures you paint a thousand>times all compromised to one degree or another. Commercial>flying on FS9 plows FSX into the dust. Period. FSX can shine>for bush flying. They should have released a bush flying FSX>and stated it doesn't work for commercial flying. Come back in>a few years and we'll get something better out.>And for the moment, that's fine! Yes, as a commercial flight sim, FS9 does indeed plow FSX into the dust! FS9 IS the way to go!But then, I don't do much "bush" flying in FSX. That's mountains, close up trees, dirt strips, and all that.The majority of my flights are what I'd call "scenic". FSX is getting very good at that! And now that I've been running new MegaScenery that has no fps hit whatsoever, FSX has got even better! In fact, unbelievably better! After experiencing this, I could never go back to FS9 photo-scenery ----period!So lets just say that FSX has potential of being a fantastic "scenic flight" simulator, rather than just a bush flight sim. :-hah L.Adamson

That's nice. I'm going back to FS98 and I'm sure I'll get 300 FPS there with all the tweaks applied. Really makes me mad when developers try to move forward and raise the bar.

>>>Take a look at Amazon.com. 136 reviews. Total score for FSX: 2>1/2 stars. Pretty good consensus there. Poor.>Why do you always rail against FSX every chance you get??RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Peter Wilding

This is the kind of thing I don't like to see.You insult without postive help, feedback or comment or contribution to the post, and hide your real name as an alias.Peter Wilding

Peter, The burning question, which is make or break for me as far as FSX is concerned, is how are the framerates with the addons (scenery and aircraft) you are developing? Is there less of an FPS penalty in FSX? I sure hope so as I don't have many to play with!Thanks for any insight into this.Glenn

Guest Peter Wilding

Still too early to say Glenn.So far with FE and GE PRO based addons looks like no fps impact at all. In fact fps is not really the issue. It's more about stutters with FSX.The experimenting we've done so far with ground textures and clouds so far have had not impact on fps or stutters.Aircrafts we are working on are not yet sufficiently developed to report on this.As far as hardware is concerned my older P4 system was hard work to get good performance in FSX. Newer technology is much better.I've got concerns about autogen and we are looking at what we can do to help in this area.Still way too early yet to say anything for sure though.My big concern right now is the burning question. Are Aces Studio going to fix the memroy leak issue? If that is fixed then FSX will fly and the future looks bright.Peter