Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The NEW Warp Drive Possibilities

59 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Years ago there was a commercial for something or other that was just a head in a box.

It reminds one of Futurama.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Isn't everything we touch, feel, taste, hear, smell and see just our brain reacting to organic sensors?  Without those organic sensors what good is the brain except, perhaps, for pure thought?

Well yes, but if we were energy beings we would be bale to generate the experience of emotions, sensations, feelings directly, without the nerve endings. 

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Years ago there was a commercial for something or other that was just a head in a box.  Someone put the box on a table in a classroom for the head to deliver a lecture.  Then all the students left the room.  The head in the box was asking someone to move him someplace but nobody came.

I loved that commercial “Z-12! I would like to go......I have things to do” 😂

Mike A.

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Science Fiction sometimes takes us into the realm of "energy beings" and all manner of weird stuff but we have no idea if such a thing is possible, weather by choice or as a consequence of evolution.

How do you know we aren't already 'energy beings' and that us and all our reality only exist in the same way that an electron only appears to exist as we observe it?

Our energy resides in a spiritual plane and this so called reality is resistance that causes us to become apparent.  Would a filament glow without resistance?

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

Well yes, but if we were energy beings we would be bale to generate the experience of emotions, sensations, feelings directly, without the nerve endings.

It seems to me that would be rather sterile.  I'm glad it won't happen soon.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Would I still need a napkin to wipe the meat juice off the corner of my mouth.  Would I still need a piece of bread to sop up the left over gravy?  Would I still need to change my shirt because I spilled gravy on it?

I just can't imagine imagine the small pleasures that come from fine dining being synthesized and enjoyed by someone who has experienced the real thing.

Would I be able to put on my imagnary waders and step into an imaginary stream or river with my imaginary fly-rod and experience the catching of an imaginary trout or the imaginary disappointment of having fished all day and not caught anything?

Would I be able to assume the prone position at the 500 yard line and feel the satisfaction of hitting an imaginary bullseye with my imaginary rifle?  ould I feel the imaginary recoil if firing my rifle?

Would being a pilot in your imaginary synthesized brain pleasures be more like flying in P3Dv5 or be like flying cross country in a real Piper Cherokee with the sounds and vibrations and feedback you get from flying the real thing?  Would you be able to synthesize the worrying fear you get from getting lost and then the relief you get from being able to look at the charts and tuning in a couple  of VORs finding where you are?

Could you make your brain fake the enjoyment of reading a good book?

Would you program in the disappointments that later enhance the successes?

From what I gather I just have sit in my recliner with some sort of device to program my brain into thinking I was doing all of those things without really doing them.

Would living such sterile programmed experiences build a library of memories you would later recall and enjoy? 

I just can't imagine synthesizing the things that make life worth living.  Maybe I'm too old to wrap my mind around the concept.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

19 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Would I still need a napkin to wipe the meat juice off the corner of my mouth.  Would I still need a piece of bread to sop up the left over gravy?  Would I still need to change my shirt because I spilled gravy on it?

In your energy brain yes! 😁 In your imagination yes! You are an energy being. So any experience you like would be yours. Your imagination would be as real as the real thing. 

I just can't imagine imagining the small pleasures that come from fine dining being synthesized and enjoyed by someone who has experienced the real thing.

Imagine a vivid dream that feels like real life, most of us have had them. This would be even more real. When you experience something it feels external, but the experience is just inside your consciousness. The experience is not external. In fact, reality is often different to the way we perceive things. 

Would I be able to assume the prone position at the 500 yard line and feel the satisfaction of hitting bullseye with my rifle?

Yes! Because you never experience that externally, the experience is always WITHIN your conciseness, generated by 86 billion neurons. Would feel no different. 

Could you make your brain fake the enjoyment of reading a good book?

Would you program in the disappoinments that later enhance the successes?

Yes! 

I just can't imagine synthesizing the things that make life worth living. 

The experience isn't synthesised. The experience is always in your consciousness. Its just the activity itself that's external. Precisely why two people can have exactly the same experience and perceive it differently. You can give people powerful drugs that make then feel that a psychedelic experiences generated are real.

Maybe I'm too old to wrap my mind around the concept.

Noel

Tricky concepts for everyone, regardless of age. 

Ever see the Star Trek episode where telepathic aliens created an imaginary world for Captain Pike that felt like the real thing? 

Edited by martin-w

Yes, I saw that episode a couple of times.  But I felt sorry for Pike because it really wasn't real for him.  But in his situation it was his only escape from the chair.

But how many of us would prefer a dream to a real life experience?  To me it would be like watching a movie.  Going on a camping trip and imagining you were smelling the bacon frying and wood smoke would not be real unless you had experienced it real life first.  How would your brain know those things if you had not experienced those things in reality first?

Let's take reading for example.  Along with absorbing the printed words there is the feel of turning the pages and the smell of an old book.  Not that I can do that anymore because of my aging eyes.  I now have to read larger print from a tablet device but I miss the feel of the pages.  I tried an audio book once but it left me flat and after the first chapter I bought the book so I could read it.  Reading is a pleasurable exercise.

Lately I've noticed some of those enthralled with technology would like to technichize our entire lives.  And I'm who's falling for it.  Instead of watching the weather report on television each morning I just ask Siri.

Even though I have GPS built into the dash of my car I still like to layout the maps on the kitchen table and plan the route myself; avoiding interstate highways and making little side trips.  I don't want an electronic device doing it for me.

Noel

I tried an audio book once but it left me flat and after the first chapter I bought the book so I could read it.

I need to read the printed book because I often find I have to look back a couple of pages to refresh my memory before going on. I think it's the onset of senility.

I don't want an electronic device doing it for me.

Especially if it's out of date. I have sometimes found myself driving where there is a blank space on the navigator screen because I skipped the updates for 3 years.

Dugald Walker

22 hours ago, sightseer said:

How do you know we aren't already 'energy beings' and that us and all our reality only exist in the same way that an electron only appears to exist as we observe it?

Because we are macroscopic beings, not subatomic. The the same rules don't apply to our macroscopic realm. 

The electron appears to take up a precise location rather than being a wavefunction everywhere, because the wavefunction collapses when its interfered with, by our attempt to measure it, or by some other interaction. 

Yes, I saw that episode a couple of times.  But I felt sorry for Pike because it really wasn't real for him.  But in his situation it was his only escape from the chair.

But the point is that to Pike it was felt 100% real. The point is that experience is felt within our consciousness. 

But how many of us would prefer a dream to a real life experience?  To me it would be like watching a movie.  Going on a camping trip and imagining you were smelling the bacon frying and wood smoke would not be real unless you had experienced it real life first. 

You would experience it in real life. The external world still exists. You would just use the "energy being equivalent" of a limb to reach out and interact with your bacon. Some of the photons in your energy cloud would act as sensory organs and relay the information to your consciousness. Think of it as having a different type of body, an energy body rather than a body like you have now. 

I now have to read larger print from a tablet device but I miss the feel of the pages. 

Feel them with your energy tendrils. 😁

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

But the point is that to Pike it was felt 100% real. The point is that experience is felt within our consciousness. 

Only in the minds of the Star Trek writers.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Think of it as having a different type of body, an energy body rather than a body like you have now. 

What a revolting thought.  How could an energy body turn over soil and plant roses in a garden?  Oh, yeah, that body would control a robot to it for him or her.

I'm assuming all of these 'energy bodies' would be invisible floating around in some form of ether.  None would be beautiful and none would be ugly.  Would they be able to speak or would inter-person communication be conducted telepathically?  And if telepathically how could we communicate secrets to each other?  How about the other forms of life on the planet?  From elephants to cockroaches would they also be 'energy bodies'?

I'm perfectly satisfied with the body I have now even though it is way past it's prime.

Noel

I noticed warped drive images now appearing on social media...

JS123948224.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I think you could knock out few of those stones out of the wall and put in a nice pizza oven for Hannibal.

Noel 

BTW, that rock wall looks like the outside of my house.