Sign in to follow this  
Guest SanH

14FPS over heathrow with MAX autogen on mid range compu...

Guest SanH

Hi,I like flying with autogen but found (like everyone else) that it causes your system to crawl. So i decided to do a little bit of testing. First of all, my rig:Athlon XP3200+ 1.5gig RAM512MB Geforce 7600I consider the above to be fairly mid range nowadays. I set FS to window mode (not full screen). I notice the quality was significantly lower (more jaggies etc.). So i went to my graphics card settings (on the card, not in FS) and set anti aliasing to 8x and anistropic filtering to 8x. WOW! the graphics looked pretty much the same to me as they did in full screen mode but my FPS had shot up. I normally get around 11-12 FPS around Heathrow with all settings midrange. I set autogen to MAX and i was still getting 14FPS around Heathrow. I then flew over London and was still getting 18FPS. Now you may say that 14FPS is still not much but it felt smooth to me and dont forget, Heathrow is one of the worst performing airports and i did have autogen set to MAX. I took some screenshots (below). I guess it helps having a good graphics card. I am wondering if more of the load is now on my graphics card rather than my computer or whether i have lost some quality but dont notice it. Either way i am delighted. No blurries and no problems but loads of autogen!Give it a try, i hope it helps.

San HVery interested as we have exactly the same spec - except that I have a 6800 graphics card. I always found with FS9 that AA was automatically inhibited in the windowed mode irrespective of the graphics card setting. I have had one go with FSX with the same result - with AA and AF set on the card, there is no AA or AF in FSX windowed mode.Odd, as you are obviously in windowed mode and obviously getting AA etc. I suppose it could be all down to the card but not convinced - which drivers are you using?John Rooum

Guest SanH

this is really weird!to try your theory out i started FS and went straight to Friday Harbor (the default airport). FS was showing no AA and the jaggies were horrible. so i switched to Seattle and it appeared crystal clear (AA appeared to be on). i had made no changes to anything. i then switched back to Friday Harbor and it too was now smooth and clear.try this:load up FS. Go to seattle and try it there, then try another airport. if you still do not get any AA try a few different airports.i am using Nvidia Omega Drivers v1.4523a.

HGmmmm, do you have any AI traffic enabled? Airport looks pretty vacant

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest SanH

The airports are dead as i have AI set to low. Dont think i will be able to have full autogen and lots of AI which is a shame.

San HSeems to be something in it for me. I took it easy - set 4x AA & AF on the card with no AA in FSX. Went to KSEA in window mode and saw an immediate improvement; I then repeated your screen shot for EGLL and finally looked at what I see as one of the toughest UK tests - take off r/w 28 at EGLC with very dense scenery. I have used this as a start flight for all my FSX testing and, again saw something like a 20% improvement. More importantly, when I went back to full screen mode the improvement stayed.My last run was out of EGLC with the DF Baron and 25% FS2005 AI and normal autogen {this is a clean FSX with no tweaks} - I was getting around 14-15 fps througout the take-off and across London at 1500ft.Whether this is a result of windowed mode or pure coicidence as a result of the other changes I made ............... ??But it is certainly something to research further.John R

How do you install the omega drivers, I keep trying, but it's not automatic and when I try to do it manually, I cannot find my video card in the list, I have a 7600GT, but it only goes to 6800GT. I believe I'm using the latest omega drivers, from april of 06.thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

What framerates are you getting INSIDE the VC cockpit? Could you post a screenshot of that?

Guest SanH

If i remember correctly, the installer doesnt install them automatically. Install the drivers into any directory, then go to Add/Remove Hardware in Control Panel.Alternatively restart your computer and it should say 'New Hardware found'. Follow the wizard and choose to install the driver manually and ask the wizard to look in the folder you installed the Omega drivers during installation.

Guest SanH

See the screenshots of my first post. A couple of those screenies are VC shots.