Hi, 

I am starting a new computer. I already have the videocard, the Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC 24GB. It read somewhere that I cannot use use Freesync monitors with this videocard. Is this true? And to use MSFS with 4K do I need a monitor with resolution 3840x2160 and can I fly with a lower resolution, such as 2560x1440? Do I also need a refresh rate range of 144 Hz? And TN, IPS or VA?

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Typically you want to keep the monitor at it's native resolution and use desktop scaling if the game/sim supports it and IF you don't want to run at native resolution (I recommend running at native resolution especially with a 3090).  I would recommend an LG OLED 4K monitor what supports VRR (variable refresh rate).

Unless you do high speed aircraft type of flying (i.e. military or acrobatic) then you don't need anything above 60Hz.

I have an LG C9 OLED 55" (3840 x 2160) upto 120Hz and a Samsung Odyssey G9 (5120 x 1440) QLED upto 240Hz ... both support VRR and both cost about the same.  The LG C9 is by far the better monitor/TV in terms of image quality (significantly better especially for an night flying).  The Samsung G9 suffers from edge "hot spots" and doesn't have true blacks and has one dead pixel that recently appeared (updating the firmware in it is more difficult).

OLED burn-in is no longer a problem as most OLED displays have built in features to prevent it.

Once you taste OLED, there is no going back, you've been warned.

Cheers, Rob.

What means "to use desktop scalinh if the game sim supports"?

OLED is TN, IPS or VA?

I don't use military or acrobatic...

Almost 90% of monitors are Freesync. I don't understand so much about this thema... 

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Unless you do high speed aircraft type of flying (i.e. military or acrobatic) then you don't need anything above 60Hz.

Cheers, Rob.

Can you explain why, please.

What would be the difference at 60 versus at 120 or 140? I was looking for LG C9 OLED 48" and they are at 120 or higher. What are the implications?

I'm using for 747 and some jet fighter.

Thank you!

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

On 4/25/2021 at 1:24 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Typically you want to keep the monitor at it's native resolution and use desktop scaling if the game/sim supports it and IF you don't want to run at native resolution (I recommend running at native resolution especially with a 3090).  I would recommend an LG OLED 4K monitor what supports VRR (variable refresh rate).

I have an LG C9 OLED 55" (3840 x 2160) upto 120Hz and a Samsung Odyssey G9 (5120 x 1440) QLED upto 240Hz ... both support VRR and both cost about the same.  The LG C9 is by far the better monitor/TV in terms of image quality (significantly better especially for an night flying).  The Samsung G9 suffers from edge "hot spots" and doesn't have true blacks and has one dead pixel that recently appeared (updating the firmware in it is more difficult).

OLED burn-in is no longer a problem as most OLED displays have built in features to prevent it.

Cheers, Rob.

OLEG is not really a monitor, it is a kind of TV, at least in size. Too big and too expensive... 

Cheers, Rob.

I cannot find 4K monitors from names that I trust more (like Asus, Samsung or LG) which are G-Sync or G-Sync compatible, with variable refresh rate (I also need the computer for other things like video editing), and resonable price. I started to think in 2K monitors, also because if I get low frame rate, it is better to play in 2K that to have lower FS settings which so much detailed addons that I always like to have. 

Can you take a look to this ones and give your opinion?

1. https://www.globaldata.pt/monitor-lg-27-27gn800-b-144hz-ips-qhd-g-sync-1ms-27gn800-b

2. https://www.pccomponentes.pt/asus-rog-strix-xg27aq-27-led-ips-wqhd-170hz-g-sync-compatible?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyZmEBhCpARIsALIzmnLDMX3JxewkV2vnyJR2cLF2Ifwc_2wuzXDH7TJfQDuLkibjJni5YW8aAst0EALw_wcB

3. https://www.pccomponentes.pt/asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq1a-27-led-ips-wqhd-170hz-g-sync-compatible

4. https://www.pccomponentes.pt/lg-32gk650f-b-315-led-quadhd-144hz-freesync?utm_source=kuantokusta

This monitor issue is something new for me as I don't have enough knowledge, but it seems they are 2K, without fixed refresh rate, and all G-Sync or G-Sync compatible according to the link below:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Based on previous encounters with @Rob_Ainscough he was very helpful and used to share his knowledge.

Maybe he is way too busy?

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I have an LG C9 OLED 55"

Hi Rob,

I am on the hunt for a new TV as a monitor...currently run an LG 49" but want to go up to 55"...and stay there lol...I think 60" is to big..

I see you use an LG OLED...Do you have the exact model number so I can research it please.

Thank you

Dave