Sign in to follow this  
D-Green

C drive getting full

I seemed to remember reading on here a few months back about someone’s c drive getting full very quickly. Computer is only used for fs2020. Does anyone know what if anything fs2020 adds each time you fly.  I have no rolling cache and add ons are on a separate drive. 

@D-Green It was probably me. I wrote to MS about this and I got a human response! It was not an automated response.

I have the Premium Deluxe boxed version, so I didn't want my C Drive populated with MSFS. This is tied with MS Store, so I cannot respond about what happens to Steam.

You can select to have your downloads/installs placed on another drive and I elected my D Drive. Now, when all the updates come in they go to my D Drive i.e., D:/MSFSPackages (this is the name I gave to the folder).

The MSFSPackages folder has both the Official and Community folders in it. I use MSAddon Linker, which enables symbolic links to be made and thus nothing actually sits in the Community folder.

It seems that C Drives are relatively small in capacity size, whereas the D Drive is quite wholesome so you have the space to load a lot of addons. All the Official MS items go to the D Drive, etc. The folder/file structure is bizarre and I can't really explain its logic.

I trust this helps and remember much is stored in the either (cloud) and why certain items are remembered like control settings, etc.

Martin

Edited by sauviat
  • Like 1

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

1 hour ago, D-Green said:

I seemed to remember reading on here a few months back about someone’s c drive getting full very quickly. Computer is only used for fs2020. Does anyone know what if anything fs2020 adds each time you fly.  I have no rolling cache and add ons are on a separate drive. 

What is the size of your C-drive? 

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

5 minutes ago, D-Green said:

250 gb

That is borderline for size. I have 500Gb and have about 220 Gb free with only FS2020 and Windows OS installed on C-drive. Minimal stuff in Community folder. Rolling cache file of 40Gb. 

Edited by SAPilot
  • Like 1

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

17 minutes ago, SAPilot said:

That is borderline for size. I have 500Gb and have about 220 Gb free with only FS2020 and Windows OS installed on C-drive. Minimal stuff in Community folder. Rolling cache file of 40Gb. 

Agree with this fully.  I’ve been through the frustration of a 250gb C drive before.  I actually ended up many Windows updates behind because there was insufficient space to do the update and Windows didn’t inform me. I also have a 500gb one now and don’t install anything on it that can go elsewhere and all is good.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have noticed the same here.

Brand new build PC.

SSD is split between C (476GB) and E (476)

I put MSFS on the E drive but it appears to be using the space on my C drive. No rolling cache. Community folder also on E drive. Steam installed on E drive.

Not quite sure why it's eating so much into my OS space. I may remove it and reinstall. Or not bother and reinstall FSX!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

3 hours ago, D-Green said:

I had the same problem back last September.  Your setup is different from mine as you use Steam.  Do a search on your C:\ to see where the growth is.  It’s usually in your local profile as that’s where FS puts things.  Once you find it your on your way to solving it.  Depending on what’s going on will give you the keys to the solution. It could be as simple as redirecting your Download folder to your larger dive with a folder you create for downloads.  Investigation is key then we can help you.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, Dillon said:

You have to find out where the growth is happening.

🥒

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, sauviat said:

@D-Green It was probably me. I wrote to MS about this and I got a human response! It was not an automated response.

I have the Premium Deluxe boxed version, so I didn't want my C Drive populated with MSFS. This is tied with MS Store, so I cannot respond about what happens to Steam.

You can select to have your downloads/installs placed on another drive and I elected my D Drive. Now, when all the updates come in they go to my D Drive i.e., D:/MSFSPackages (this is the name I gave to the folder).

The MSFSPackages folder has both the Official and Community folders in it. I use MSAddon Linker, which enables symbolic links to be made and thus nothing actually sits in the Community folder.

It seems that C Drives are relatively small in capacity size, whereas the D Drive is quite wholesome so you have the space to load a lot of addons. All the Official MS items go to the D Drive, etc. The folder/file structure is bizarre and I can't really explain its logic.

I trust this helps and remember much is stored in the either (cloud) and why certain items are remembered like control settings, etc.

Martin

What Martin describes matches my installation exactly.  My system drive c : is a 250GB SSD and holds my OS and software and utilities unrelated to my two flight simulators: FSX SE and MSFS (Microsoft Store installation).  My simulators are on D : which is a 1 TB SSD.  My addons are managed with Addon Linker from a unique location on d :  

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

So my problem is the same as Traffic Pilot above.  My install drive was initially c drive but I then bought an SSD Drive and moved the install there. Addons go to the ssd drive also. C drive still seems to grow. I assume Microsoft FS2020 updates then go to the same drive (the SSD)?

2 hours ago, D-Green said:

So my problem is the same as Traffic Pilot above.  My install drive was initially c drive but I then bought an SSD Drive and moved the install there. Addons go to the ssd drive also. C drive still seems to grow. I assume Microsoft FS2020 updates then go to the same drive (the SSD)?

Lock your page file down for the C:\.  Find out based on your C:\ size a good setting and manually set that size.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Lock your page file down for the C:\.  Find out based on your C:\ size a good setting and manually set that size.

Your page file is not what makes your C drive grow... and I would suggest leaving it as systems managed. 

Instead, look at what is actually on your drive as suggested above :wink:

Bert

6 hours ago, D-Green said:

Does anyone know what if anything fs2020 adds each time you fly.  I have no rolling cache and add ons are on a separate drive. 

It is not clear to me if you have MSFS installed on the C Drive, and MSFS addons on a separate drive, or if you have addons, including MSFS, installed on a separate drive.

Those two are not the same..

I ended up reinstalling MSFS on a separate 500 GB SSD.  That way, my 250 GB C drive is only half full, which includes email / pictures / downloads etc.. and can be managed by hand, and by using CCleaner.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert