Sign in to follow this  
D-Green

C drive getting full

12 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Your page file is not what makes your C drive grow... and I would suggest leaving it as systems managed. 

Instead, look at what is actually on your drive as suggested above :wink:

We're not going to really know until D-Green does some homework on his system.  This is what worked for me to stop the dynamic growth.  The other drives I have I left alone.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

As a comparison, my C drive is a 223 GB SSD - it has 107 GB of free space.  It has Win10 plus utilities for systems.

FS2020 is installed on my 1 TB D drive, along with ALL programs, my Downloads, images, videos, etc.  It's getting a little full with 199 GB free, so it's time to invest in a new large SSD to replace it - everything is still running fine.

My 2 TB E drive is for A/V professional post-production masters.

Randall Rocke

Whenever I find myself wondering where my disk space is disappearing to, I use WizTree to investigate.  There are other things that serve the same task, like SpaceSniffer, but WizTree is by far the fastest I've used (on Windows, anyway) and it's free.

Using one of those to find out just what's taking up the most space on your drive would be a good starting point for investigation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

It is not clear to me if you have MSFS installed on the C Drive, and MSFS addons on a separate drive, or if you have addons, including MSFS, installed on a separate drive.

Those two are not the same..

I ended up reinstalling MSFS on a separate 500 GB SSD.  That way, my 250 GB C drive is only half full, which includes email / pictures / downloads etc.. and can be managed by hand, and by using CCleaner.

Its all on the new SSD drive. I will give Whizztree a go to see what I can find...thanks all

Does anyone know if I can just delete Manualcache.ccc in c:\users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator.   I remember now last week I was messing about with the scenery cache for the first time and noticed I hadn't changed the file path to new SSD.  I had read that it should delete automatically if you install elsewhere..this manual cache file is 58GB.  Can I just manually delete it without any effect on sim?

5 minutes ago, D-Green said:

Does anyone know if I can just delete Manualcache.ccc in c:\users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator.   I remember now last week I was messing about with the scenery cache for the first time and noticed I hadn't changed the file path to new SSD.  I had read that it should delete automatically if you install elsewhere..this manual cache file is 58GB.  Can I just manually delete it without any effect on sim?

If you have the manual cache disabled or pointing to a different drive, then yes, you can delete it.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

Whenever I find myself wondering where my disk space is disappearing to, I use WizTree to investigate. 

Brilliant little program! 🙂

Bert

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

Whenever I find myself wondering where my disk space is disappearing to, I use WizTree to investigate.  There are other things that serve the same task, like SpaceSniffer, but WizTree is by far the fastest I've used (on Windows, anyway) and it's free.

Using one of those to find out just what's taking up the most space on your drive would be a good starting point for investigation.

That was a great help thanks. WizTree did the trick.

10 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

If you have the manual cache disabled or pointing to a different drive, then yes, you can delete it.

...jim

Thanks for the info...

Well thanks everyone. I seemed to be back where I was a week ago...Thanks for you contributions.

• Like 1

Can I make a suggestion to help you find out what is eating your space ...

Go to the MIcrosoft Store and download an app called 'TreeSize free'  ( note the free !! ). 

Run it as an administrator and it gives you a good idea where space is being used.

There are also a couple of other actions you should consider  --

Run explorer on your computer.  Highlight the 'C:\'  Drive. 
At the top pick 'Drive Tools' and then select 'Clean up'. You can clean up a lot of junk using the default option.
You could then pick the 'System Files' option and look at what may be deleted there.  Be cautious with this option.

The next suggestion is to move the folders in  C:'\Users\username' to another drive.

I have not found a quick way of doing this so the long winded way is

Right mouse click on a folder such as Documents and select properties.
Within properties select Location.

Enter the path to the new destination and select OK.  If you are moving to say the E:\ drive then just change the first letter from C to E - it saves on typing !!.   Press Enter. You may be told that the destination does not exist and the prompt allows for it to be created. After that you will be asked if all the contents should be moved. Reply yes and wait for the move to finish.

Repeat this process for every folder which gives the Location option.

The OneDrive folder cannot be moved using this method. It can be moved if it is taking too much space but it is more complex.

This process of moving these folders has the added advantage of separating the users data from the operating system. If the operating system needs to be reinstalled you don't  have to worry about the data.

Finally - If moving data to the same drive as your Flight Simulator you MUST make sure that your antivirus software scans this new area. Make sure it is NOT in the exclusion list.

Regards

Trevor

One issue that is unrelated to MSFS itself is the MS update for Win10 seems to store copies of every update ever installed. This can add up to 40 or 50 GB over time - or more.  Doing a disk clean-up and ticking the box that lets it clean out system files will let you opt to remove those.

10 hours ago, GB014934 said:

Can I make a suggestion to help you find out what is eating your space ...

Go to the MIcrosoft Store and download an app called 'TreeSize free'  ( note the free !! ). 

Run it as an administrator and it gives you a good idea where space is being used.

There are also a couple of other actions you should consider  --

Run explorer on your computer.  Highlight the 'C:\'  Drive. 
At the top pick 'Drive Tools' and then select 'Clean up'. You can clean up a lot of junk using the default option.
You could then pick the 'System Files' option and look at what may be deleted there.  Be cautious with this option.

The next suggestion is to move the folders in  C:'\Users\username' to another drive.

I have not found a quick way of doing this so the long winded way is

Right mouse click on a folder such as Documents and select properties.
Within properties select Location.

Enter the path to the new destination and select OK.  If you are moving to say the E:\ drive then just change the first letter from C to E - it saves on typing !!.   Press Enter. You may be told that the destination does not exist and the prompt allows for it to be created. After that you will be asked if all the contents should be moved. Reply yes and wait for the move to finish.

Repeat this process for every folder which gives the Location option.

The OneDrive folder cannot be moved using this method. It can be moved if it is taking too much space but it is more complex.

This process of moving these folders has the added advantage of separating the users data from the operating system. If the operating system needs to be reinstalled you don't  have to worry about the data.

Finally - If moving data to the same drive as your Flight Simulator you MUST make sure that your antivirus software scans this new area. Make sure it is NOT in the exclusion list.

Thanks for the info. I will look to see if I can clear it some more. 

7 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

One issue that is unrelated to MSFS itself is the MS update for Win10 seems to store copies of every update ever installed. This can add up to 40 or 50 GB over time - or more.  Doing a disk clean-up and ticking the box that lets it clean out system files will let you opt to remove those.

I’ll give this a fo also. Thanks all for your help. A great community we are part of. 

Every time you download and install something it must add an entry on your Windows install drive, that`s how when you install an addon it looks in window REG too find your install path, And windows install size will grow over time i would say 500gb min size drive but 1TB recommended if you can, as you tend as I do put somethings on your fastest drive for loading which tends to be windows drive, and last but important your download folder mine is on my E Storage drive not documents windows drive. And my temp folder is also on E drive where some downloads unpack before installing and you can get not enough space error on trying to download a large file. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

Every time you download and install something it must add an entry on your Windows install drive, that`s how when you install an addon it looks in window REG too find your install path, And windows install size will grow over time i would say 500gb min size drive but 1TB recommended if you can, as you tend as I do put somethings on your fastest drive for loading which tends to be windows drive, and last but important your download folder mine is on my E Storage drive not documents windows drive. And my temp folder is also on E drive where some downloads unpack before installing and you can get not enough space error on trying to download a large file. 

I’ll move the download file to another drive that will help for sure. Thx. 

• Upvote 1