Sign in to follow this  
TrafficPilot

Pocket Rocket - The excellent Rob Young Turbo Bonanza mod

Robert I hope you continue to feel better. Your products have been top notch,

Bill McCracken

6 hours ago, robert young said:

Hello all,

Sorry about my absence lately. It is almost solely health related. Without going into detail I'm pleased to say I am feeling a little better lately, and for the first time in many weeks I fired up FS 2020 and loaded my DA62 mod. It is working well with the current Asobo update but there are a few details which are proving hard to get perfect. If I can fix these stand-out issues I might be able to release quite soon, if my health holds up.

I could release it right now but I want it to be as good as it can be, the principle aspects of the mod being a complete overhaul of the flight model and engine, which as you may know, is by default grossly underpowered - at least when taking off. That is completely solved now.

I will try to get a current version out to my fantastic testing colleagues and we'll see what they have to say before I commit to a release. Thanks so much for your interest.

Robert

Hope the best for you and a full recovery.

I don't know to what extent it's possible to consider adding at some point in future the compatibility of the PMS50 GTN750 to the DA62 panel (and why not also to the Bonanza G36 panel)?. That would be great.

Take care!.

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

8 hours ago, robert young said:

Hello all,

Sorry about my absence lately. It is almost solely health related. Without going into detail I'm pleased to say I am feeling a little better lately, and for the first time in many weeks I fired up FS 2020 and loaded my DA62 mod. It is working well with the current Asobo update but there are a few details which are proving hard to get perfect. If I can fix these stand-out issues I might be able to release quite soon, if my health holds up.

I could release it right now but I want it to be as good as it can be, the principle aspects of the mod being a complete overhaul of the flight model and engine, which as you may know, is by default grossly underpowered - at least when taking off. That is completely solved now.

I will try to get a current version out to my fantastic testing colleagues and we'll see what they have to say before I commit to a release. Thanks so much for your interest.

Robert

Good to hear from you Rob and pleased to hear you're feeling a bit better.

For some reason the mod link info isn't appearing on the YouTube page so I'm copying and pasting below for those who fancy installing this "Pocket Rocket"!

You can download the free Rob Young Bonanza Turbo mod here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/489?tab=files&file_id=1056

Please consider a donation to Rob for all his hard work on this modification:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_donations&business=XMBLBU72YLFMA&currency_code=GBP&Z3JncnB0=

PS: I did try flying the default DA-62 from Denham - my home airfield but ended up on the golf course at the end of RW24. Now I know why 🙂

Cheers all

Captain Moore

Edited by TrafficPilot
  • Like 1

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

After reading Robs update. I don't even care about this mod getting updates anymore.

Rob brother. Concentrate on you. All this simming stuff can wait. Spend that time on yourself and your health. Without that, there isn't this.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Rob,
Great news that you are feeling better.  Please take care of yourself first.  Make sure you get a complete annual...  IYKWIM.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Seriously some of you guys. You can't have it both ways. You want improvements to MSFS and then complain when updates are done that it breaks certain add-ons. It's the risk assumed when you do this. You act as if this is something new in the flight sim world. While appreciative of any add-on I would suggest that assuming the risk will eventually bring the reward assuming the developer is here for the long haul. If not, them let someone else do it and when until the platform settles down.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

2 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Seriously some of you guys. You can't have it both ways. You want improvements to MSFS and then complain when updates are done that it breaks certain add-ons. It's the risk assumed when you do this. You act as if this is something new in the flight sim world. While appreciative of any add-on I would suggest that assuming the risk will eventually bring the reward assuming the developer is here for the long haul. If not, them let someone else do it and when until the platform settles down.

Maybe you should direct your comments to Microsoft and Asobo rather than the talented people releasing free updates to try and improve what is a bit of a cluster **** at the moment!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

34 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Where did that come from?  Seems a bit harsh.  Did I miss anything?  Is this in the wrong thread?  :smile:

The G36 mod has stood up well to the updates, and still has no problem now. 

The Asobo update that did break the G36 initially disturbed a lot of the aircraft (autopilot turn rates etc.) before it was rectified by Asobo.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Where did that come from?  Seems a bit harsh.  Did I miss anything?  Is this in the wrong thread?  :smile:

The G36 mod has stood up well to the updates, and still has no problem now. 

The Asobo update that did break the G36 initially disturbed a lot of the aircraft (autopilot turn rates etc.) before it was rectified by Asobo.

It's a response to a poster or two who was complaining about  updates breaking mods. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

It's a response to a poster or two who was complaining about  updates breaking mods. 

yep, true...dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. A real conundrum, if there ever was one.

While this has been a huge part of the X-plane camp for the passed 20 some-odd years (and by now casually considered life as usual for that franchise) , it is a VERY new problem for everyone involved in the MSFS camp.

The issue effects both end-users and developers alike (both freeware and commercial devs) and for those who may not realize what this conundrum is, here's a quick & dirty way of understanding what's at play here...

The MSFS camp has always been used to an initial release of the sim, then a patch or 2, and then it's left as final after that...and this is where you begin developing mods for it, such as aircraft. The modders patch the aircraft and all is done until the next version of the sim released 3-5 years down the road, basically speaking.

...lets consider Xplane here, because that sim is in a never ending state of alpha/beta phase, Xplane will always be this way,  it will likely never stop evolving and getting updates until the author walks away. This comes with an accepted anticipation that upon most update releases both end users and developers can expect the potential for their products to break and need fixing. They must fix them because there IS no waiting for the sim's update period to end...the updates never stop coming and things never stop breaking...it's become part of what Xplane is.

Now that being said. realize it or not, MSFS has just begun on a very new phase of life and a new way of doing thigs and potentially evolving, hence a 10 year commitment.

IMO, you will now see this same sort of developmental model no longer exclusive to Xplane but also now with MSFS. There will likely be no final retail version for MSFS anytime soon.

Get used to this folks...it's a tough way to do business for everyone here because the developers will be needing to update more often than they're accustomed to which means developing for MSFS will be more time consuming & expensive, and end users will have to get used to waiting on dev updates to their products more than you're used to AND ALSO needing to pay more often for payware product updates than you're used to doing.

While Asobo surely needs to create an actual beta release channel for their updates before releasing them as safe & final (much the same way as Xplane does), but beyond that, we will still be in a never ending stage of updates for a long time to come, IMO.

In the end, this way of business and developing is going to be a difficult transition for all of us. I think we need to really think about this and take this into consideration before complaining to one another or getting too upset with one another. Instead lets educate and be as tolerant as we can during the process...and lets not forget to try and understand this new process to begin with.

We may have embarked upon a new and somewhat difficult pathway to get accustomed to within MSFS...but.. it can still be a solid path forward nonetheless, I think. Although it won't be cheap 😁

@robert youngHappy for you that you have some relief and are feeling a bit better, I know what it's like. Keep doing whatever it is you've been doing to keep that trend up, and stay well!

Edited by hangar

Dear Robert, my sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery.
🥂

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

My questions also.  I trust these side darts end.  It's raising my blood pressure and I certainly don't want it to do the same to Robert!

• Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the kind and encouraging replies. Regarding the subject of frustration and Asobo updates, to be fair they have left most flight models alone recently, although I still think the autopilots need some work, especially concerning heading and ILS, and the Bonanza V3 has survived pretty well intact despite several major Asobo updates over the past few months, so I am not so worried about it as I was previously. I recognise that some updates will have glitches here and there - but personally I am not really keen to release anything until I have thoroughly checked it myself and am reasonably convinced it won't need constant updates in the future. I think the key here is also getting very detailed feedback from beta testers (You do not need hundreds of testers even for a complete aircraft or scenery, you just need a few who are thorough in their testing).

Edited by robert young
  • Like 5

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

2 minutes ago, robert young said:

(You do not need hundreds of testers even for a complete aircraft or scenery, you just need a few who are thorough in their testing).

Unfortunately Robert, for Asobo, it would appear that those, in that category ie thorough, are either non-existent, or their inputs are being scrupulously ignored by MS/Asomo.

Whichever scenario is in play at the moment, I still live in hope for their first problem free update, patch or hotfix, as I am sure is the rest of the community.

I would still just love to know, why it is, that these affect so many people in so many different ways. Nothing is constant nor consistent (apart from the fact that all their updates remain a torture to some extent for some people) What on earth can be the common denominator at play here?

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

6 minutes ago, robert young said:

Thanks for the kind and encouraging replies. Regarding the subject of frustration and Asobo updates, to be fair they have left most flight models alone recently, although I still think the autopilots need some work, especially concerning heading and ILS, and the Bonanza V3 has survived pretty well intact despite several major Asobo updates over the past few months, so I am not so worried about it as I was previously. I recognise that some updates will have glitches here and there - but personally I am not really keen to release anything until I have thoroughly checked it myself and am reasonably convinced it won't need constant updates in the future. I think the key here is also getting very detailed feedback from beta testers (You do not need hundreds of testers even for a complete aircraft or scenery, you just need a few who are thorough in their testing).

No matter if you release a thing from this day or not. You're a legend in the community for what you have contributed to it. Go take care of yourself first brother.

• Upvote 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors