Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

when was the last time you tried running with Bloom OFF?

I was just doing some investigating and trying to figure out why my GPU gets hammered near runways (like LAX) and Bloom seems to be the culprit.  Anyone else notice this or can you verify it?  As with everything, it may be just me/my system.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Turned it off months ago, around Christmas it was.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Same as in FSX.  Off gave me 5FPS. ☘️

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

turned all those game enhancing graphic thingys off when I first installed it and never had them on since 🙂

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

This effect is pure theatrics, your eyeball can not perceived this.  It is only a thing when viewed through a specific type of compound lens system.  And no, your sunglasses or windshield is not that.

This is always one of the first things I turn off in any game.

Edited by Mike S KPDX
  • Like 3

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

It is a cinematic effect like the hexagonal lens flare to make your game look more like a Hollywood movie.

Whilst I can see some value in these effects if you are making YouTube videos or taking screen shots in order to make your media look more like it was recorded through a real camera lens,  it has never made any sense to me that people would prefer a fake camera lens aberration whilst just flying.

In particular games adding that hexagonal lens flare that is created using an old school camera lens by the hexagonal aperture control that opens and closes to adjust light ( and never happens with the naked eye in real life)  has always had me perplexed.  I suppose they think it is "artistic" .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF always, makes the glass panels look like word not allowed. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I think, But could be wrong, that Bloom in MSFS is all about making more realistic lights and reflections.  Its not 'eye adaptation' and its not Lens Flare (which is a camera thing).

I just noticed that Bloom was responsible for my GPU taking a hit when I was near runways and I remember Asobo mentioning not all that long ago that they did something to improve runway lighting.  I dont think my GPU can handle it as well as I thought it could at first and I was trying to find out if others had performance hits from using Bloom as I do.

and since all of you guys who have posted so far say you have it OFF, do you have performance issues near runways?

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

As with any game or simulator. Bloom is INSTANTLY turned off the second I run it for the first time.

Motion blur, lens flare, bloom, all that garbage is awful in anything it's implemented in

Edited by styckx
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

1 hour ago, styckx said:

As with any game or simulator. Bloom is INSTANTLY turned off the second I run it for the first time.

Motion blur, lens flare, bloom, all that garbage is awful in anything it's implemented in

+1. I disable them in almost all games. Motion blur and depth of field might be the worst features ever thought up in the gaming world.

Edited by reignman40
  • Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I always run with it off....ok not always but 95% of the time.  I'll use it for a few screenshots sometimes.  I like the way the sun glints off the wings/fuselage etc.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, reignman40 said:

+1. I disable them in almost all games. Motion blur and depth of field might be the worst features ever thought up in the gaming world.

What is 'depth of field'?  Sounds like a good thing so why is a worst feature?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

Depth of Field is the effect you get with low aperture settings on a real life SLR camera where the foreground is sharp and anything in the distance is fuzzy.

Unless I am misunderstanding something about what it does in game it is purely a screenshot thing.  I see no reason to make things in the distance fuzzy when flying - which is presumably the reason why it only works when you are in drone mode.

It's only real use in the game would be taking screen shots in drone mode where you might want the aircraft in the foreground to be in focus and sharp and the scenery in the background to be blurred and fuzzy so as not to take away from the focus on the aircraft (and also give a nice artistic effect for screenies without resorting to photoshop and having to create a mask).

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Glenn explained it nicely...here's an example of my pic from the screenshot forum the other day.

The focal plane (hehe) travels through my Waco here....and the buildings below are all "out of focus."  In a camera it would be done with the aperture (the F number you might see on the web.  Like f2.8 f5.6 etc.  I did indeed use Drone Mode to get this one.

51133234364_91cf7684a4_o.pngUntitled-3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ahh, I see.  I've always had it set on ultra but never would have guessed that was the effect as I never see that foreground clarity and background blurriness, out of focus.  Thanks both of you.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X