Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

when was the last time you tried running with Bloom OFF?

I am not arguing about the performance hit with bloom on.  I would expect it actually. 

Although it does seem a bit harder on performance than I would expect if it is adding about a 15% overhead in my case.

I can't wait to test with it off tonight to see if it is this causing so much drop.

I think it actually looks quite realistic though.  Whereas lens flare etc. is for cinematic effect, the bloom looks more real (relating to reflections off the aircraft at least).
In fact I am looking at light bloom off the paint and chrome off the cars parked outside now as the sun gets lower, and it looks just the same, except for the black blob after vision effect in my eyes afterwards. :smile:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I like the way it looks but it shouldn't be that much of a performance hit especially not to anyone with a 3000 series (I have a 1070).  Maybe Asobo should check out what they did there.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I actually LOVE bloom and leave it on always. Especially in VR, I find the effect very realistic... without it the sun is just a 2d circle, but with it on you can almost feel the blinding effect of the sun in certain conditions which is very realistic, like when you're driving west just before sunset you can barely see out your windshield, and I find the effect very well implemented, like I said, especially in VR.

• Upvote 1

I turned off bloom pretty soon after I got MSFS. Didn't like the way it looked. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I wish they could just make a slider for the Bloom setting.  I fly with it on but at night it makes all of the airport sequenced strobe lights way too big and blinding. With it off at night you cannot even see the sequenced strobes. During the day it does a good job, especially with the sun.  I never liked the effect in P3D and kept it off or at a very low setting.  MSFS did a better job implementing but being able to adjust the effect would be nice.

Edited by Flic1
  • Like 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

4 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

It's the "blinding" bit I want to get rid off. Everything outside looks over-exposed much of the time unless I dial-in some clouds and change the time of day. It's really off-putting.

EDIT: I should add both my PC monitors are calibrated weekly due to my work so it's not the screens at fault!

Yes, I can only talk VR here cause thats what I'm solely using. The 'blinding' is fine for me but the over-exposure could be improved, I agree. In VR I often have to lean forward to get the exposure adapt to the outside view. If Asobo would make the area around the center which presumably controls the eye adaptation smaller, that would certanly help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarcG said:

I have it On purely for the Sun, with it Off the disc of the sun looks rubbish.

I agree....that sun is horrid and unrealistic looking with it off

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

Eye candy is life IMO.  Finally tried Bloom Off; no thanks man, I'll take the performance hit (as I do with ultra field of depth) though I can't say I see a noticeable performance difference with this stuff disabled, running 30 fps vsync on.  For details see my specs in my sig.

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

LOL - we had this same discussion many years ago.  

Even with the latest GPUs BLOOM is a heavy hitter.

bs ☘️

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

10 hours ago, Gerwil said:

In VR always on. The sunlight reflections from wing or panel gives a nice glare in the corner of the eye, very realistic. And almost blinding when looking straight into it.

I've had it off this whole time...gonna try it tonight.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2