Sign in to follow this  
brucek

GeofA- QAuestion on Baron in FSX

Hi Geof,I recall that you fly a Baron, although maybe not the default model in FSX. How do you find it for the numbers and performance?I'm also "flying" the Baron in Elite (Premiere Edition), following along with a book "IFR- A Structured Approach" by John C. Eckalbar, and would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to get serious about IFR flight. I can't compare either to the real thing, but find that the Elite version behaves very much as the author describes on the numbers (he actually uses Elite in the book).Thanks- Bruce.

I find by numbers the default is very close-and the handling is much more on than fs9 was. I use all the same power settings I do in real life and it is pretty spot on close.It is interesting in a way-because when I got my Baron it had engines that were past their tbo. I used to flight plan 180 knts Tas -and was spot on every time. Since we got new engines this summer-our true airspeed is now a consistant 187-8 knts!My indicated airspeed went from a fairly usual 166 to 174. So even with the same plane-the numbers can be different depending on the age of the engines. Having been the first time I have dealt with new engines I was very surprised at the difference!I hope Dreamfleet will update their Baron-the one thing the FS Baron does not do as well is single engine procedures and abilities to feather the prop-the Dreamfleet does.Are you able to do any flying with all that snow you have had out there?Best!Geofhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Thanks Geof,I always recall my DE for the Private giving me a lecture on take-off and landing numbers as they appeared in the C172 ('70's vintage) POH, and how they could be translated today to an old tired aircraft. Those really basic jewels of wisdom seem to stay around for ever!Not much flying lately at all, and the snow sure has added some restrictions that too. Anywhere there might be actual IFR, there's ice too, and the fleet and airport got hit with all that snow which stopped things for a bit.Thanks for the info on the Baron. So far I have only tried comparing numbers and performance in the Elite to what I read are the real ones, and have found that sim to be spot on to the "post 1984" model in the book. The graphics suck, but that's not what Elite is good for. Bruce.