Sign in to follow this  
wan2fly99

New to X-Plane

Just bought new computer 

Two sims will install is MSFS2020 which is not the greatest for reall IFR practice.

My friend suggested X-Plane

He built my computer and downloaded the demo to my E: drive.

It runs.

I want to change the drive letter from E: to F:

Do I need to change anything in X-Plane to indicate this before I go ahead and do it?

All the third party scenery and aircraft will I need to do anything?  After the switch I will be purchasing X-plane

Just move the X-Plane folder to whichever partition you want.  X-Plane doesn't write to the registry on a Windows PC.  You can move it anywhere you want without any issues.

Ok thank you very much  Will be asking question later on my goflight hardware Have 3 or 4 devices which I want to use

2 hours ago, wan2fly99 said:

Do I need to change anything in X-Plane to indicate this before I go ahead and do it?

One beautiful aspect of X-Plane is that you can simply drag and drop the \X-Plane 11 folder to wherever you want, you can even copy it (to have two installs) and if you don´t want it anymore: Just delete it.

No registry entry, no uninstallation, no nothing.

There is an installer, as you already found out if you installed the demo, but all it really does is create the necessary folders (where you specified) and download the required files from the Laminar Research server. It will also doublecheck your installation when you run it to scan for altered or missing files (this can also double as a repair function).

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

There may be a problem with GoFlight modules, but not entirely.
If you don't feel sorry for some money, I can honestly recommend this to you:

https://www.pollypotsoftware.org.uk/

It's a brilliant piece of software that can do almost anything with GoFlight modules. It may require a little understanding and learning at first, but the basic options are very simple to apply. There are lots of movies on YT to watch.
I've used a lot of GF modules with XP and this software was great for me. There is also very good support from the developer.
Currently, since I switched to VR glasses, there is no going back to 2D for me - one Knobster allowed me to replace all the GF modules. 😉 
There is also some popular free plugin for handling GF modules - it's much less functional and probably not being developed at the moment, but it might be enough for you. I don't remember the name, but google will help you.

Another question   Calibrated my ch yoke.  So I see when I move the trolle it moves. Was going the wrong way so I reversed.

When I tried the C-172  When throttle closed  it showed wide open on plane

Is there another throttle setting II need to change or assign or something

7 hours ago, wan2fly99 said:

Another question   Calibrated my ch yoke.  So I see when I move the trolle it moves. Was going the wrong way so I reversed.

Is there another throttle setting II need to change or assign or something

you can set user profiles for each aircraft, its a dropdown at the bottom of the joystick pane i believe.

AutoATC Developer

On 4/28/2021 at 2:50 PM, wan2fly99 said:

I'm not sure if this what you mean, but on the Cessna pulling the knob out closes the throttle and pushing it in opens it.  So full throttle is with the knob flat against the dashboard. 

If that's not what you meant, apologies ☺️

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, AJZip said:

So full throttle is with the knob flat against the dashboard. 

And if that is not what you meant - you can reverse the axis direction in the input device setup interface.

• Like 2