Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

One thing I never get tired of...

Busting through the clouds and breaking out early evening, especially in an airliner (usually FBW A320)!  Oh man the immersion is awesome!

🙂

• Like 5

Thomas Derbyshire

Yeh. No more 2d sprites that spin and move out of the way. The clouds seem very unique and when you burst out the top you see something new each time. The cloud structures and lighting is different all the time.

• Like 5

Would be even cooler if they added some windshield effects as you pass through and also if the clouds partially obscured the wings from view like in real life.

The other thing that is cool is the way the terrain below you (or sometimes, less than optimally, in front of you) starts to show through the clouds as you emerge.

• Like 1

These are some of my fav pics and the feeling of breaking thru the overcast...and then going the 2nd overcast and finally on top....breathtaking.

Just out of the 1st layer....climbing to the 2nd one (did not pick up ice in the 1st layer)

UogWS8.jpg

I was floored when I saw the hole in the upper layer the sun shining thru on top of the 1st layer.....

YTlcIH.jpg

Finally on top...and letting the boots knock the ice off the wings I picked up thru the 2nd layer.

baGXUm.jpg

Yep....one of my favorite parts of this sim.....breaking out of an overcast. 🙂 

• Like 7

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Nice, do the strobe lights reflect off the clouds when you are in the soup? Do you see landing light beams in fog etc. 

Cant wait till I get this game, unable to source a new gfx card atm to build a new rig to handle MSFS.

I have to agree atmosphere of this game can be breathtaking sometime.

Just did a flight in japan, kind of low overcast, but was calm and fine at the airport and went I went above it.

I met some kind of out of this world clouds, with massive TCUs connecting two layers, looking like columns made by titans

Edited by bendead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Nice, do the strobe lights reflect off the clouds when you are in the soup? Do you see landing light beams in fog etc

Yep, they do indeed.

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

2 hours ago, bendead said:

I met some kind of out of this world clouds, with massive TCUs connecting two layers, looking like columns made by titans

Yeah I'm not so sure on those...  seems a little fake.  There are some amazing storm clouds I've seen from the cockpit (mostly of pics) but the ones in the sim are weird.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

These are some of my fav pics and the feeling of breaking thru the overcast...and then going the 2nd overcast and finally on top....breathtaking.

Just out of the 1st layer....climbing to the 2nd one (did not pick up ice in the 1st layer)

UogWS8.jpg

I was floored when I saw the hole in the upper layer the sun shining thru on top of the 1st layer.....

YTlcIH.jpg

Finally on top...and letting the boots knock the ice off the wings I picked up thru the 2nd layer.

baGXUm.jpg

Yep....one of my favorite parts of this sim.....breaking out of an overcast. 🙂 

And then the completely overdone icing effects crash the show...😑

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

5 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

And then the completely overdone icing effects crash the show...😑

Better than underdone, no?

I am flying in Alaska right now, it's entertaining to fly in the northern areas this time of year because it's evening most of the night (depending how far north you are). So you don't lose the orange/red evening sky to dark during a flight...

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Better than underdone, no?

I am flying in Alaska right now, it's entertaining to fly in the northern areas this time of year because it's evening most of the night (depending how far north you are). So you don't lose the orange/red evening sky to dark during a flight...

Well....no xD

I have actually edited the ice texture to be more transparent and i looks so much better now.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

MSFS clouds are some of the best you can get in any sim ( and yes I’ve seen the new DCS clouds).

they definitely get a lot of things right (or look right at least). There are two things that bug me

1. The Lava Lamp effect - where an upper layer of cloud appears to reach down to a cumulus cloud below and connect up - like in a tornado. Not realistic mostly, but pretty ubiquitous at the moment. It can give a fair impression of bad weather but cumulus clouds need to rise independently up to an upper cloud layer and if conditions dictate rise above. Thunderheads would be great especially in the Tropics. 

2. Lack of recognisable structure in high clouds (alto cumulus and cirrus) - I’ve often wondered whether it would be possible or practical to sometimes mix 2D cirrus clouds with the 3D ones? There seems to be a limit to what can be done with 3D clouds fine structures. In P3D and FSX cirrus clouds were often the best things about the weather and Sky Force /Environment pro did sometimes produce some amazing cloudscapes.

What's also amazing is that all these effects don't hit performance too hard and look good even on low/medium settings. 

• Like 1