Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Background Music in MSFS where is it stored

I notice that sometimes the music when MSFS is loading plays smooth, and other times it stalls sometimes up to 4 or 5 seconds before starting. I think it must not be stored in the PC but is streamed from the server, and that may be an indication that the server is overloaded causing all kinds of problems in the sim. Anyone have an idea where this is stored? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you sit at the main menu then fire up procmon to watch file system access from the flight sim process, it does a lot of reading from \Official\OneStore\fs-base-soundbanks\SoundBanks\MUSIC.PC.PCK.   I'd reckon that the data's probably in there somewhere.  🙂

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Very much doubt it's pulling in the BG music from Microsoft's servers.  Probably just some occasional wonkiness reading whatever package file it's sitting in.

The music starts playing for a few seconds even when disabled on settings.

MSFS algorithm looks like:

play_music

if not music_setting_on then stop_music

Instead of simply:

if music_setting_on then play_music

I'm afraid of MSFS internal logic

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Emerson67 said:

The music starts playing for a few seconds even when disabled on settings.

MSFS algorithm looks like:

play_music

if not music_setting_on then stop_music

Instead of simply:

if music_setting_on then play_music

I'm afraid of MSFS internal logic

Double negation or why to make it simple when you can make it complicated 🤣.

I put the musak off but still  get a half a second whiff of it during the initial slideshow.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think that music is being downloaded from my local funeral parlour.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Double negation or why to make it simple when you can make it complicated 🤣.

I put the musak off but still  get a half a second whiff of it during the initial slideshow.

i see nothing wrong with this.  The preferred state is music on....if the user does not want it turn it off.

Harry Woodrow