Sign in to follow this  
BigT65

Boats parked at marinas

Boats in marinas and parked at docks are just 2 dimensional white shapes most of which appear to be under the water. Docks along the water on lakes and rivers also appear to be under water. Is this just the way it is or do I have some other problem I need to deal with. See the picture below.

https://ibb.co/rbSShWv

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

That is the way they will look unless someone has manually added 3D boats.

Orbx do have "vessel addons" for a few specific areas like the Channel islands (freeware) and also St Maartens and St Barts in the Caribbean (payware) .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

What you have looks good. I tried the GAIST MSFS addon but it did not work on the marina boats (unless I had it installed wrong). MSFS needs a global solution for boats. Just having a few in scattered ports all over the world is not the best solution.

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

2 hours ago, BigT65 said:

What you have looks good. I tried the GAIST MSFS addon but it did not work on the marina boats (unless I had it installed wrong). MSFS needs a global solution for boats. Just having a few in scattered ports all over the world is not the best solution.

Well the only way to achieve that would be to have an auto-gen boats system that detected boats in the Bing data and replaced them with an autogen generic boat.

No idea how hard that would be to do.

Post it as a wish feature on the main forums and see if you get any votes.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

The Bing maps extend to the sea but the water masks follow the coastline. A rather difficult problem to solve except manually... maybe a blackshark.ai could design a specific algorithm for ships and boats as they did for buildings ?

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

This has nothing to do with any vessel underwater. It is the chart datum that has been given to the sim. That is that the water level has not been taken into account and is static and should be lowered proportionately. MS would have to apply a global coefficient in order to achieve the desired result.

Of course, but the following would be a major achievement if the sim had a tidal aspect to it and not sure if it could be simulated. If it is possible to simulate the sun and moon, then why not have the corresponding tidal systems!

Martin

• Like 2

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

3 hours ago, sauviat said:

If it is possible to simulate the sun and moon, then why not have the corresponding tidal systems!

Martin

Because then they'd have to acknowledge the existence of the Sun, the Moon and of gravity and its affect on tides, and that would upset all the flat earthers. 🤣

• Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

The Bing maps extend to the sea but the water masks follow the coastline. A rather difficult problem to solve except manually... maybe a blackshark.ai could design a specific algorithm for ships and boats as they did for buildings ?

What’s interesting is that there is a static boat off the east side of Hong Kong airport (VHHH) sitting on top of a satellite image of a boat.

I don’t know if the Asobo/Orbx employee touching up airports placed it there or what.

Edited by Tuskin38