Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Scenery

Landings

Just my observations after comparing landings of several planes all day long...

Being frustrated with the way the TBM and several others too easily fishtail off the runway, decided to try some other planes.

Have to say the Carenado PA-144 and the default DA-62 land much better than most of the other small planes.

The jets don't land right either. I think the modders and creators need to adjust things and add compensation values, it seems the defaults are way too twitchy. I dont think these other planes would fly off the runway from a very small percentage incorrect rudder deflection, and many of the planes go into an uncontrollable fish tail sway way too easily... This does not appear to be controller related, because a 1% change in rudder is a 1% change, I can make the same change with the mouse. It might not have really been 1%, but it was a small change.

The default autopilots on the other planes aren't perfect though, especially the DA-62 sometimes decides to crash into the ground. Oddly however, one thing I will say is when the autopilot does work, the DA-62 actually lines up better than the modded CJ4 or the A320 Neo. That is odd.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I will have to agree to your listed points and add that there a lot more odd things. The simple basics, like going down the runway, landing or take off have never really been addressed. Maybe the taxiing had been fudged one time several patches ago (but look how it still is) I would think with the big hype over wind properties there would be at least an attempt at a "more probable" reaction between the wind and wing and fuselage. Now tail draggers and narrow width undercarriage types can be a "hand-full" during landing or take off, but civilian aircraft would be a hard sell to the public. BUT I will personally admit, I just can't talk myself into cranking up P3D in order to fly my truly favorite planes that I paid hard cash for. Now that is odd!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Payware aircraft I have that land easily ...

• Piaggio P149 (best of them all)
  • Jabiru (since latest patch)
  • Carenado Mooney
  • Aerolite 103

Payware mediocre to landing

• JF Arrow III

Payware tricky to land

• Bleriot
  • Carenado YMF5
  • Fiat G91
  • Like 2

Have to agree about the JF Arrow, I've literally just took her for a spin after latest update.  I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't feel right compared to the other aircraft.  Its very very twitchy and will go all out and say this isn't my sensitivity settings which are now (I would say) pretty dialed in and quite comfortable with a lot of other aircraft.  I'm not about to start fiddling with my settings for one aircraft tbh.  I dunno maybe I've not flown it that much but it just feel like it handles very well at all.

Thomas Derbyshire

16 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Have to agree about the JF Arrow, I've literally just took her for a spin after latest update.  I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't feel right compared to the other aircraft.  Its very very twitchy and will go all out and say this isn't my sensitivity settings which are now (I would say) pretty dialed in and quite comfortable with a lot of other aircraft.  I'm not about to start fiddling with my settings for one aircraft tbh.  I dunno maybe I've not flown it that much but it just feel like it handles very well at all.

Strange, I think JF Arrow handles very well, in fact one of the very best I have tried, I use HoneyComb Alpha yoke and use -30 at pitch axis and the rest at default.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

the JF Arrows PA28 just need more speed than you think or it becomes unstable and will fall like a rock on you.

• Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

It may be a difference in controllers and other settings but I've had no issues in landing the 5 aircraft I've flown so far:

• TBM (modded) - this is especially good - smooth as silk
  • Turbo Bonanza (modded) - really smooth
  • C208 (modded) - very good
  • C172 - very good
  • C152 - very good

I know people have reported varying levels of performance/response

Randall Rocke

16 minutes ago, RandallR said:

It may be a difference in controllers and other settings but I've had no issues in landing the 5 aircraft I've flown so far:

• C172 - very good
  • C152 - very good

You mind screenshoting your joystick /pedals curves?  I haven't adjust any of mine from default but I have a heck of a time basically as soon as the mains touch the runway on most MSFS planes.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Set your Rudder Authority to -.5 if using a twistgrip.  Also lower the Rudder Sensitivity to 80% I think.  DeadZone 1%.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I've got Saitek Combat pedals but they're a little "noisy" like they're old and the middle isn't a perfect center anymore.  It just seems like I have to put all rudder in or nothing to do a regular crosswind landing (say 10 knot component)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

• C172 - very good
  • C152 - very good

I don't know about the modded TBM. I can land it and stay in control most of the time for any of these planes, that's not the issue overall, but the issue is the amount of precise effort it takes to do, very unrealistic. Also, do it in a wind gust, and you will get thrown off the runway. I never fly the Cessnas much, but I think they do land better.

Real planes are much more stable, sure there are exceptions, but if planes were like this in RL, there'd be people running off the runway on a daily basis. Yes I know they require rudder to stay in control, but this game's rudder controls are like trying to re-assemble an antique watch with one hand tied behind your back.

Even if you fly off the runway 1 in 100 flights, it's unrealistic.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Never flown off the runway - ever.  No unrealistic response - ever (at least with the aircraft I mentioned).  Again, the TBM (modded) and G36 Turbo (modded) are very realistic, as are the 152 and 172.  Also, I do have real world flying experience - I'm not speaking just from the aspect of simming.

Now, to be fair to your experience, there are those who have reported improper behavior in crosswinds, and I would have to agree somewhat that crosswind response is inappropriately strong.  (I would add that torque simulation is also overdone). Response of aircraft just after leaving ground effect and just entering it are way too drastic under crosswind conditions - I see this as being an FS system issue over that of some of the aircraft.

Edited by RandallR
  • Like 1

Randall Rocke

Just now, RandallR said:

Never flown off the runway - ever.  No unrealistic response - ever (at least with the aircraft I mentioned).  Again, the TBM (modded) and G36 Turbo (modded) are very realistic, as are the 152 and 172.  Also, I do have real world flying experience - I'm not speaking just from the aspect of simming.

Interesting... 

5 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

the JF Arrows PA28 just need more speed than you think or it becomes unstable and will fall like a rock on you.

Yep , and with full flaps you need a lot more power than you might be used to using on something with less aggressive flaps.

It is not hard to land, just requires attention and if you get out of the envelope you pretty much have to go around.

6 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

You mind screenshoting your joystick /pedals curves?  I haven't adjust any of mine from default but I have a heck of a time basically as soon as the mains touch the runway on most MSFS planes.

I don't know if this will be helpful but I use the Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick and TWCS Throttle system.  A rebuild of my computer with some A-V peripherals for my business forced me to pull my rudder pedals for now (too many cables down there) so I'm forced to use my twist stick for rudder control - not ideal!  Regardless, it's a good stick.  Here are a couple of examples of my settings:

Bonanza G36 Turbo

Settings---G36

TBM 930

Settings---TBM

Randall Rocke