Sign in to follow this  
Paulcoy

MSFS 2020 and Quest 2

Does it matter what you start up first, Oculus software or MSFS 2020 including the Debug Tool ?

Not that I can tell.  I usually start FS and wait for the menu screen or setup a flight and wait till it's ready to fly , then put on the headset, go to the link via quick settings and then switch to VR and go from there.  I've also gone to the virtual desktop and clicked on MS to load it.  Haven't noticed any difference, except for choppiness in the virtual desktop area when ms is loading.  All good once the main menu for fs loads.

Thanks slashed2. The reason I'm asking is because I thought i read that starting Oculus and debug tool first, affects how MSFS loads up, but can't find where I read this to clarify it. I use ODT because my main goal is to sharpen up the cockpit in VR. Unfortnately I've stopped using Glass cockpits, because I find then so hard to read.

I saw that somewhere as well, but can't see a difference in which gets started first.  Concerning, cockpits, I've found changing the pixel density helps make them more clear, at the cost of performance, so I leave it at the default (0).  I find myself leaning forward or zooming in to read the glass if the need arises.

Ok Might give "0" a try. It's a shame when there so clear in 2D

I agree, 2d is much more clear, not sure if that's a limitation of the Quest or FS.  Seems the Reverb G2 has better clarity, but I've found the sweet spot for me for now.

Try 1.1 or higher.  0 is the default setting.  Not sure of your hardware but I have a 10900k and 3090.  In the oculus app I have render resolution 1 down from the max which is 5124 x something I think, in the sim I have render res set at 1 and most settings on high or ultra.  That gives me pretty clear glass text with pixel density set at 0 which is the same as 1.1 for me as I see no difference between the two.  Going up to 1.2 I lose about 5 fps but can read the text without leaning in.

One thing I just learned (from bilbosmeggins) is to use the FOV multiplier in OTT.  this reduces field of view in the headset but the performance gain is well worth it.  I have it now set to .8 horizontal and .7 vertical.  Takes a bit of getting used to but if you are having fps issues then give it a shot.

Thanks slashed2. I'm am trying your settings now, and for your info I have the same CPU as you with a  RTX 2080 Ti. What "Refresh Rate" do you use in the Oculus App ?

@Paulcoy @slashed2 the idea I read about was to start OTT -> Oculus -> Sim and switch directly in VR when the welcome screen is there.

Early switching to VR (so not just after a flight is loaded) saves the GPU Mem to fill with 2D textures.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

I believe that the more brightness and less color in Quest 2 screen when in "link" and VR PC, with the silly and outdated thing of to not to have those sliders, because there is no way to manage it inside of Quest nowadays, is marketing for spend more time and money in questland than in the PC VR, because the in-built software and Quest pictures have better color and brightness. Hope someone can tweak that.

On 4/28/2021 at 2:59 AM, Paulcoy said:

Does it matter what you start up first, Oculus software or MSFS 2020 including the Debug Tool ?

I've always had to run and apply the debug tool settings (per pixel override) prior to starting what ever game I'm playing, otherwise the settings don't get applied. I haven't used the debugtool since early Feb. Maybe it's been updated?

Interesting, I wondered where the settings got applied. Thanks Mr DMBird

you are welcome 🙂

per pixel override was always a temporary setting that got cleared when the PC was restarted, but resolution, and later, the bit rate setting, seemed to be retained after a reboot

On this subject. What are the new setting all about ie  "Dynamic Bitrate Max" and "Encode Dynamic Bitrate" in ODT

Edited by Paulcoy

Personally, I start the sim and have Oculus running in the background. As soon as I get to the MSFS menu, I switch to VR and set up the flight from there. Works well. If I enter the cockpit in 2D then switch to VR I get a lot of stutters.