Sign in to follow this  
Maury Pratt

Airport vicinity intermediate squealing sound

I recently did a clean MSFS installation on a newly-built computer. This issue didn't arise with my previous installation, and I can't find a solution anywhere. At first I assumed I was hearing a Morse code airport identifier but that is ruled out as the squealing noise appears to be coming from inside the computer case (like a hardware warning), not the earphones or speakers (these are operating normally--engine sounds, etc). Another clue is that though it initially sounds like an airport id it usually changes to a constant tone after a minute or so. Once airborne, though (from any airport and flying any aircraft) the noise abruptly stops. And it starts again approaching an airport for landing. So obviously this has something to do with MSFS or perhaps the way I've configured it. Otherwise my copy of MSFS is running just as it did with my previous computer.

I've made sure that Windows 10 is properly configured: current Gigabyte x570 drivers installed and am monitoring cpu/gpu/memory utilization and temps, and fan speeds; all appears to be normal. My system: Ryzen 7 5800, RTX 2080Ti, 32G ram, etc.

Has anyone encountered this issue, and what was your solution?

Maury Pratt

Have you looked in or made changes in your mother boards Bios? I ask because almost all MB's allow for  different warnings and alarms which are usually sounded by that cheap little on board speaker which can sometimes be hard to notice or hear very well. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

You say a new computer. Is every component new? Could be inductor squeal under load perhaps? If you've reused your PSU your new system may be drawing a lot more current. Does the MB have a piezo buzzer? Have you tried resetting the bios to default?

Edited by jarmstro

It could be the fan on your GPU kicking in ... especially if it's in an intensively [object] populated scenario like a busy airport. As you climb out, the load drops so maybe your fan goes inactive again.

There are all sorts of free hardware monitoring utilities out there that might show you what's actually going on - with your temperatures and fan speeds.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

15 hours ago, jarmstro said:

You say a new computer. Is every component new? Could be inductor squeal under load perhaps? If you've reused your PSU your new system may be drawing a lot more current. Does the MB have a piezo buzzer? Have you tried resetting the bios to default?

Yes, every component (except the RTX 2080ti) is new. In fact the motherboard (purchased new six months ago) proved to have a corrupted bios, which Gigabyte technical support replaced under warranty, so I know for a fact that the bios is current and that the board's been thoroughly tested. The GPU had been running without issues in a server computer, which wouldn't be much of a load previously.

I've now set the bios to default; everything on the bios settings page looks to me to be normal, including fan speeds. I've even tried temporarily turning off fan excess temp warnings. The PSU is 850 watts Corsair top of the line. I don't know if the mother board has a buzzer; now that you mention it the sound is more a music tone than a buzz.

I'll see if I can get some more experienced technical help (San Diego FliteSim club members) to investigate inductor squeal.

Thanks all for your help; further suggestions are welcome.

Maury Pratt