Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Microsoft CEO describes the marketplace as "vibrant"

Glenn,

I will accept that and my thoughts were just that.  I was aware that the devs go through hell sometimes for all sorts of reasons.  I guess there is no reason to suspect that the marketplace is any different to the rest of this sim.  Why the devil do we love it so?????

I know with the last update I suddenly and for the first time had enormous performance problems and steered clear of MSFS for a while. Yesterday I played around with the incredible new WorkingTitle G3000 update and did that without flying.

Today, I flew and lo and behold performance is back to normal.  I do however, still have the flaps and throttle problem after pause .... I thought they had fixed that.  Also today, I noticed that my trim wheel is simply non functional now but I am not really surprised as it is not yet recognized as hardware but it will accept mapping.  So I configured a yoke button for trim up and trim down ... that works perfectly.  I just do not know why it has so suddenly stopped functioning. Still works normally with the other platforms though.

On approach everything appeared normal but the closer I got to the runway the more sensitive my pitch and roll sensitivities became, to the point that the slightest movement created a power climb or power dive.  I then played my "missed approach" ace and climbed out to 3000 feet and noticed that controls responded normally.  Being a sucker for punishment I then tried another approach with the same result.  It is impossible to make anything remotely approaching a normal landing.

I guess I am now back to leaving it on hold till the next breakage .... oops update is what I meant to say.

I really wish they would try an update that fixed things and not introduce new stuff at the same time.  

Next step is to buy a super computer to work out why I still love it so much.

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

19 hours ago, Gilandred said:

Yes.  Whoever designed and implemented the MSFS marketplace is costing them a lot of lost revenue opportunity.  It’s probably not the worst design out there, but it’s nowhere near Orbx ease of use and UI friendliness.

I bought 4 airports, they all installed fine and updated fine.  What's so bad about the marketplace?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

One day it stopped approving my purchases. I now buy elsewhere. I am done screwing with this marketplace. I spent many unsuccessful hours attempting to correct this. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:00 AM, Denwagg said:

How can any game franchise last for 10 years. With constant free server support  for weather and Navdata.  I think not!  Don't kid yourselves after Xbox sales dry up so will MSFS. Flight simulators have always been a fringe industry. Nothing has changed. We simmers that will buy hardware and PC's and support MSFS for the foreseeable future are only in the tens of thousands world wide. What is the average life span on any XBOX game. The grand experiment of "You can fly over your house" will only support XBOX Sales for so long. Add to that the many little things that add to the immersion like, ATC, Traffic, Ground Traffic. Melted buildings. Coastlines, Water mask, Icing, on and on. At this rate many will never be fixed.

Enjoy MSFS for what it is right now. These are the best times for this software.

Minecraft will be 10 years old this November.  Still getting new stuff added regularly.

MSFS doesn't have the business model of a widget, where you sell them until the demand isn't there, then you make something else.  It's there as a showcase for Azure.  It's there to provide diversity and value for Game Pass' library.  It's there to show Xbox's commitment to PC gaming again and buy back mindshare.

But more importantly with the comparison to Minecraft - they can sell add-ons and expansions for it, and collect a 30% cut of any add-ons sold through the in-sim store, in a genre that is legendary for it's community voraciously buying tons of expensive add-ons to enhance the experience.

But in order for that to be lucrative, they need to produce and maintain a sim with a sizeable userbase- not one that will just trail off and bleed back to competing products.  And in a field as vocal and discerning as flight sims and simmers, that means producing a really good, realistic sim in the long run, that people will jump from P3D and X-Plane for.

Asobo/Microsoft aren't going to have 200+ people working on MSFS forever, but they probably will until the core sim is in a really good place and they can scale down the team to focus more on expansions, addons, and maintenance of the existing product/store.  At that point the bar for what is "worth it" to keep updating the sim will be pretty easy to clear.

Plus not for nothing, but Asobo have obliquely hinted they already have a contract to support the sim for several years.

• Like 4

On 4/28/2021 at 10:29 PM, himmelhorse said:

I was just thinking that whilst this is probably true., MS may not have a choice in that the dev may well want first crack at the profits without the impost of MS marketplace commission.  It could well be that it is the devs themselves who do not release it to the market place for that fourteen day period.

Just a thought.

Tony 

I‘ve just read a post by Mathijs Kok on the Aerosoft forum that by contract they aren’t allowed to release updates before they’re published by Microsoft. It‘s possible that this is the case with every 3PD that release their stuff on the marketplace. Apparently they hadn‘t been aware of this when they released their products on their own store. If that were the case, from a consumer perspective there would be little reason anymore to buy addons directly from 3rd parties. Does anybody have more information on this? Have Orbx said anything about this?

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I‘ve just read a post by Mathijs Kok on the Aerosoft forum that by contract they aren’t allowed to release updates before they’re published by Microsoft. It‘s possible that this is the case with every 3PD that release their stuff on the marketplace. Apparently they hadn‘t been aware of this when they released their products on their own store. If that were the case, from a consumer perspective there would be little reason anymore to buy addons directly from 3rd parties. Does anybody have more information on this? Have Orbx said anything about this?

Interesting...

This (currently in practice) is the downside of using the MS store. The MS store gets updates "weeks" after other stores (orbx, and Dev direct sites). If they have a contract in place to sync update releases, many more Devs missed that paragraph....