Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Best GA Airplane For World Tour?

2 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

To be honest i would not trust either of those piston singles over the long stretches of water needed for an around the world trip.

I love piston aircraft and especially radials, but turbines are a far safer option flying over water or jungle. They break far less often.

Very True, didn't think of that.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

On 4/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, ryanbatcund said:

Vertigo!  (highly experimental but great speed or slow if ya like, and great cockpit visibility).

Oh it also has a autopilot if you download the WT G3X mod

https://flightsim.to/file/13052/vertigo-turbo-prop-racer

Woohoo! thanks , I was unaware of this...

"Or cruise great distances in comfort and style."

"holds a world record-breaking 380kts top speed (single engine prop)"

Gos506NQ.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=me

It looks like and Android co-pilot 🙃

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:20 PM, himmelhorse said:

TBM930 with WorkingTitle modded G3000 would be a great start in my opinion.  Good performance 85knot landing speed will get you into most short airfields and a range of about 1730 nautical miles.

Tony

+1

In the real world the TBM is not necessarily ideal as a personal ride for a round the world trip. Your looking at 4 Million $US or so to buy one, $1000 an hour overall running costs and then parts and repairs in any third world countries may be impossible to come by (though turbo props as a rule are pretty reliable) .  For a real world trip you would want to be getting a lot of YouTube hits on your channel to pay for running that TBM.

In the sim where we do not need to worry about running costs,  it is a pretty good option 😄 

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 4

I would highly recommend justflight piper arrow with the GTN750 mod! Amazing plane!

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

On 4/27/2021 at 9:55 PM, ryanbatcund said:

Vertigo!  (highly experimental but great speed or slow if ya like, and great cockpit visibility).

Oh it also has a autopilot if you download the WT G3X mod

https://flightsim.to/file/13052/vertigo-turbo-prop-racer

Would love to see the GTN 750 in this plane. I have the WT G3x mod installed. Is there anything else I need to do to enable AP?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I completed a few days ago a round-the-world tour starting from my country and back after thirty stops on a Trinidad TB21 (LionHeart). The main reason of my aircraft choice was (beside the fact I have numerous hours on the real type) that it offers the possibility to climb at 25'000 feet when the weather does not cooperate (in particular in regions such as the Kamchatka, the Aleutians, Canada, Greenland, Iceland which are the only "bridges" you can use to complete your tour). I liked also the fact it has steam gauges which I was used to in real world. 

It does not have de-icing and does require some weather planning.

The only "gap" I had to fill on my tour was to use a real airport (Narssassuarq) at the Southern tip of Greenland which was not represented in MSFS. But with the GPS it was very easy to find the exact location of the airport and land on a perfectly practicable and safe flat surface.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

I would highly recommend justflight piper arrow with the GTN750 mod! Amazing plane!

which mod is that?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

8 hours ago, captain420 said:

As much much as I like the justflight arrow I wouldn't use it for a world tour. At 120kt or so cruise speed you will probably find it too slow at some point.

Edited by Bushido5

You know if I was looking for something IRL to fly around the world that did not cost the millions for a TBM, it would be hard to go past a 2nd hand older Cheyenne. You can pick them up 2nd hand for not much more than a new Cirrus.   Very affordable turbo prop twin that can climb on one engine so safe as houses on long legs over water or forest and depending on the model cruises just shy of 300 knots. Bonus is the engines are the ubiquitous PT6A, super reliable and you can get parts anywhere. 

I do not think we have any game though.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

9 hours ago, captain420 said:

Is there anything else I need to do to enable AP?

Just click on the top of the PFD and a selection of various AP options should appear in a new window. The G3X is extremely versatile but takes some getting used to. Another not obvious thing: in order to change course one has to disable the map - then the outer portion of the right knob will adjust course. 

EDIT: In my ongoing round the world trip I've given myself the liberty to use different aircraft. Probably the most enjoyable leg so far (started in Florence) was from Kathmandu Nepal to Lhasa Tibet in the Caravan. The landscape in this remote area is surprisingly well rendered, for an almost unreal experience. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Bushido5 said:

As much much as I like the justflight arrow I wouldn't use it for a world tour. At 120kt or so cruise speed you will probably find it too slow at some point.

They didn't say how long they want the tour to be.... Low and slow is the way to go! The sim world is beautiful.

11 hours ago, captain420 said:

Would love to see the GTN 750 in this plane. I have the WT G3x mod installed. Is there anything else I need to do to enable AP?

In the real world a experimental might have G3X with GTN but I don't see a way to get it in.  Navigation wise they are the same so it doesn't really help us there.  The G3x is touch screen so click on the black area just above the "sky" on the PFD.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you're limiting yourself to things in-sim and don't insist on something that is "study level", you might want to think about Carenado's just-released Seneca.  Piston engines, so you're not paying to keep turboprops running, a twin that can hold 16000' feet on a single engine, which could come in handy flying over remote mountains, a 25000' service ceiling and a reasonably quick (if not truly fast) cruise seem like ingredients for a decent candidate here.   The one limiting factor might be the range, with a long range cruise limit of about 950 miles.