Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Any news on the new ultralight?

10 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Great review as always Chock. A bit painful on the eyes though with the flickering and flashing. Is that a by-product of recording, or your general MSFS experience?

I tried a different streaming setting on the recording software which was actually supposed to improve the bit rate, but I didn't like it, so it'll be the last time I use that setting lol. I figured for a sub-ten quid add-on quick look, it wasn't too big a deal since most people will either buy it or not regardless of what I say about it (like they'd do that anyway lol) and they know what their sim looks like. The sim doesn't suffer that stuff at all, it was entirely due to the cack streaming setting.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Ah, that’s good then. It would be awful if that was your daily drive. I think the module should do very well, especially at the price point. I haven’t seen a negative review as yet. Be nice to have a good multiplayer get together with these things being thrown about the sky. A proper Flight of the Dacron Eagles 😀

• Upvote 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Yup. I'd strongly recommend people give this one a shot. It's very inexpensive and it's not taxing on the system - I think my pushbike has more avionics than this aeroplane has lol - which means it leaves a lot of overhead for the sim to push the quality up, and more importantly, it does a great job of conveying the feeling of whizzing over fields at low altitude, popping up over hedges and such.

Short of the new FlyInside Bell47G due to be released in a couple of hours, I suspect there isn't a better payware add-on for flying over your house and then landing in a nearby field, as it is very apparent in my video that this thing can be off or on the deck in a very short distance when going into the wind. Theoretically, I guess it could lift off the deck on its own with the engine idling if it was in a 24 mph headwind!

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yeah I think that’s the big attraction of this, being able to slowly check out your neighbourhood or wherever else you’re touring around.  I feel like when I’m showing off the sim to people and doing the obligatory flight over their houses, even using one of the slower default aircraft I end up having to pause to take a good look around.

With This thing I’ll be looking to land in some MLB stadiums!

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I’ll admit this didn’t interest me at first, but after watching Chock’s excellent review I’m tempted to give it a go. Been doing a fair bit of low n slow lately.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

This thing is a joy to fly..  Believe it or not it's one of the more hardest aircraft to land because keeping attitude relies so much of the prop wash over the wings.. It's not the typical case of cutting the throttle and flaring in.. It's almost a powered landing..

cnYVZDB.jpg

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

29 minutes ago, styckx said:

It's not the typical case of cutting the throttle and flaring in.. It's almost a powered landing..

It takes some getting used to, landing WITH power is definitely the way to go!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

Just a quick note to potential purchasers to find the desired Asobo Top Rudder 103 from the Marketplace. (Not accidentally get to the Nemeth Designs Aerolite 103.) You can probably guess why I'm aware of the possible confusion. 🙄

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

2 hours ago, MM said:

Just a quick note to potential purchasers to find the desired Asobo Top Rudder 103 from the Marketplace. (Not accidentally get to the Nemeth Designs Aerolite 103.) You can probably guess why I'm aware of the possible confusion. 🙄

Speaking of that, does anyone own the Nemeth Aerolite 103?   How do you like it?  I wonder how it compares to the Top Rudder 103 in terms of the flight model etc?

I've always had a thing for the pusher prop for this type of aircraft.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, MM said:

Had the same issue. I literally couldn't find this plane until I actually searched for it.  It's not listed under any aircraft categories

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

28 minutes ago, Mace said:

Speaking of that, does anyone own the Nemeth Aerolite 103?   How do you like it?  I wonder how it compares to the Top Rudder 103 in terms of the flight model etc?

It's pretty terrible. I'd never recommend that thing especially considering all the drama with its developers and how they justify the lack of updates. 

• Like 1

Bought it tonight and spent a while putting around my hometown of Halifax.  First thing I did was land on the softball field behind my house.  Close but I made it.  Then I landed on my street and parked in my driveway.  Landed in a few more parks, flew under the two bridges spanning our Harbour, then landed inside one of Halifax's best known landmarks:

2vnh4So.jpg

Not something I'd fly every day, and certainly not a cross country cruiser (I was trying to chase an AI ship leaving the harbour and it took a very long time lol), but a ton of fun when used for the right things and a great low speed, low altitude sightseer that be landed in some interesting places.  Especially for the low cost well worth it in my view.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

2 hours ago, Mace said:

Graphics are exceptionally good  and being a pusher the scenery view is exceptional -  the flight model is sort of OK though you need a lot of rudder to initiate a turn, as there is not much aileron authority, in some ways it flies like a tamer version of the Bleriot - no idea if that is realistic never flown a 3 axis ultralight.

They do tend to be excruciatingly slow fixing bugs. The slip ball and throttle for example still work backwards.

Note that, they have fixed some issues, for example it graphically had fixed gear but in the FM the gear was "retractable" meaning if you spawned at a POI with the invisible "gear up" you either crashed on landing (crash detection on) or sunk into the ground (dev mode or crash detection off) unless you "deployed" the invisible landing gear.  Either way not optimal behaviour. That one was fixed last month.

They tend to avoid personal correspondence with customers.  Personally I think that is fair enough just be aware of it.

Summary:

• sounds, graphics and cockpit view are great
  • flight model is a touch unusual with low aileron authority needing lots of rudder but may well be realistic
  • dev turnaround on bug fixes is extremely sluggish but they eventually seem to get around to it, just maybe 6 months down the track
  • the current bugs are mainly cosmetic (throttle backwards etc)
  • do not expect to get personal replies to support tickets or forum complaints they do not work that way

Overall it was a good enough purchase back when it was the only 103 class ultralight in town, but now we have three of them and it is the most expensive of the three, I would say it is has been left behind and is over priced

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

It takes some getting used to, landing WITH power is definitely the way to go!

That's true:

https://vimeo.com/543919812

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

Funny. All over the net I'm reading this plane is selling for $9.99 U.S. I go onto the market place to buy it and Microsoft is trying to sell it to me for $20.99 Canadian! What am I missing? I then go on the net and convert $9.99 U.S. to Canadian and I get $12.29! I'm thinking Microsoft is GOUGING us Canadians again. I'm also thinking Microsoft cares little about Canadians as customers. Not getting me this time.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,