Sign in to follow this  
jon b

Just flight BAe 146

Couldn't resist anymore and bought it. FPS drop is in line with other, SASL-driven add-ons I own (Carenado S340, FJS 727), roughly -30% in my test scenario.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Really? I get less than 20 drop with the encrypted version.  I guess it might also depend on how much else is going on in the sim.

Edited by danklaue

18 hours ago, danklaue said:

Really? I get less than 20 with the encrypted version.  I guess it might also depend on how much else is going on in the sim.

This is pure vanilla X-Plane with nothing else running or installed. Conditions were the exact same between the C172 and 146, i.e. start X-Plane, pick C172, load flight, observe FPS, shut XP down, start XP pick 146, etc.

I can do a quick test to check if it's OS-related as I still have a Windows partition for experiments like these.

Since editing the other post can't be done anymore...

A quick test on Windows confirms the 20% framerate drop with SASL-driven aircraft as reported by @danklaue. As usual, overall performance remains worse on Windows than on Linux with my 6900XT under comparable conditions, with Linux OpenGL achieving the same framerates as Vulkan does on Windows.

31 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

Since editing the other post can't be done anymore...

A quick test on Windows confirms the 20% framerate drop with SASL-driven aircraft as reported by @danklaue. As usual, overall performance remains worse on Windows than on Linux with my 6900XT under comparable conditions, with Linux OpenGL achieving the same framerates as Vulkan does on Windows.

How do you find the actual flying experience?  

The more I fly this the more I like it.  I love the fact that, say for an ILS landing, if your aircraft isn't configured correctly, if the speeds aren't right, if you don't watch the nose rise if you underspeed and the nose drop with the flaps deployment and overspeed, then you are NEVER going to maintain the glideslope lock.  But when you eventually do - which really means flying correctly all the way down to the tarmac, the landing run is a dream.  I'm sure some real pilots will come along and confirm whether the real 146 behaves the same, but it feels very realistic to me.

• Like 3

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

12 hours ago, AJZip said:

How do you find the actual flying experience?

Didn't have time to actually try it out yet.

From an operational standpoint, I figure it won't be too different from FJS' 727, i.e. let the default FMS handle LNAV and do all the vertical handling with IAS/Mach Hold (who needs VNAV anyway?). Power on during final until touchdown and a close eye on speed because of the draggy high lift devices.

I think I read somewhere that the JF team does have a real 146 driver as a member or at least as a tester, so a good approximation of the flight characteristics is a given.

My only larger question is whether the TMC is also good for cruise, but the manual should most likely tell me that.

• Like 1

Got it yesterday and I am very satisfied. Always liked old school navigation, love the FJS 727 and 732. Surprisingly light on framerates on my system (50fps). Great job Thranda and JF!

Edited by torfih
  • Like 3

Torfi

I got this on Thursday and am very very impressed.  I'd love the option to hide/swap out the different FMSs (once the custom one comes) and even drop in the RXP GTN750, which I hear on the other forums works.  But I was mainly excited to have another aircraft that uses ground based navaids.  This thing is just absolutely fun to fly, and the 80s tech and flight deck fills a gap in the XP offerings between the 60s FJS 732 and 727 and the modern stuff that's widely available.  Worth every penny to me, and it wouldn't make a difference if it had an FMS or not, even though I do appreciate that JF included the default and have commissioned the development of a custom one.  There's tons to dig in to here, and I'm looking forward to it.  Documentation is excellent, too.  Well done, JF and Thranda!

• Like 3

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

Six weeks on and I'm still loving the Just Flight BAe146.

It's been pretty much my go-to VR aircraft since I first got it and I've used it exclusively to help me climb up the old-school VOR/ADF/charts navigation learning curve.  Three out of four times now I can navigate using only VOR, map heading and ADF combinations from one UK airport to another and successfully capture the ILS and Glideslope.  Even in low visibility!  It's...erhum...taken a while...

I'm still largely leaving the engine management, etc, to its own devices and presently concentrating on that finely balanced 'marble on a football' speed/power/attitude/flaps/gear challenge once the GS and ILS have been captured.  There are still alarms that regularly go off where I am blissfully unaware of what I've done wrong but, so far, I haven't piled into the ground as a consequence. 

And related to that, by total chance, I've just come across a cracking little feature with the chatter from the passenger compartment when the cabin doors are open and they realise that it's a rookie pilot in control who's just made a fundamental mistake...

Full marks, Just Flight/Thranda 🙂

Edited by AJZip
  • Like 3

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Hate to be THAT guy, but is there any ETA on the update with the custom FMC?  Last I heard, we were told that the delivery would be on the order of weeks, not months.  It's now been a couple months, so just following up to see if that was still in the works.  Anyone heard anything?  

• Like 1

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

On 7/14/2021 at 7:52 PM, cmorg said:

Hate to be THAT guy, but is there any ETA on the update with the custom FMC?  Last I heard, we were told that the delivery would be on the order of weeks, not months.  It's now been a couple months, so just following up to see if that was still in the works.  Anyone heard anything?  

end of august maybe, very close....just bought it 2hrs ago and i'm loving it!  

https://www.justflight.com/articles/146-professional-custom-fmc

• Like 1

Unless you people have already noticed, version 1.2 is out, containing the custom FMC. It's a spinoff of the UFMC and requires the AIRAC for SSG aircraft (747 and E-Jets), which must be installed in the "X-Plane 11/Custom Data/UFMC" folder.

The other fixes of the update, such as the improved TMS logic, are very welcome, but the custom FMC didn't really tick my boxes. However, I figure it's more intended as a step toward the glass cockpit equipped Avro RJs.

Edited by Bjoern