Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shep

FSX fails to load.

Guest Shep

Help needed on a very odd problem please. I recently uninstalled/reinstalled and reactivated my only installed version of FSX (owing to cloning one smaller Raptor to a larger 150Gb Raptor)and although I'm minus a multiplayer entry in the drop down menu everything worked. Today FSX briefly showed the start-up splash screen but that was as far as it got. I tried deleting the fsx.cfg, reinstalled DX9 (WinXP Pro) and also reinstalled my Nvidia 7900 512mb card drivers - no improvement. I then used the repair function (from the FSX add/remove program entry) it asked first for disk 1 and then disk 2. Apart from having to reinstall my modified autogen tree and buildings textures everything worked fine.I have just rebooted and am back in the same position - FSX starts to load with a quick flash of the splash screen and nothing more!Ray

Try this and see what happens?Use notepad.In fsx.cfgSHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1save the file.If already=1 try 0 (zero)

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Guest Shep

Thanks for the thought. It was on SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0 so did try 1 but still the same. A quick flash of the splash screen is all I get.RayPS - What is odd, as soon as I use the FSX repair function it will work 'till I reboot again. It may point to something in my Win XP Pro set-up, although I have not changed anything and I have no idea what it could be.

Are you using one or two monitors?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Go to same folder as your fsx.cfg and rename logbook.bin to logbook1.bin and try again. If that fixes it, do a search on logbook to find a fix.Phill

Guest Shep

Using 1 monitor Vaughan.Will try your logbook.bin idea Phill but at the moment FSX is loading fine again. All I did was reboot and it worked straight off. When FSX failed to load, FS 2004 (installed on the same drive) worked perfectly and so did everything else.Ray

Guest Shep

FSX was loading perfectly but after I rebooted, FSX failed to load again, just a brief show of the splash screen. It doesn't lock up with any error messages but just shows the splash and nothing else. I tried your idea of renaming the logbook but that didn't work for me Phill, although I did a search for logbook and see it works for many folk.Ray

I had a problem with identical symptoms when I first installed FSX. I fixed it by re-installing on a non compressed partition. Why FSX didn't like a compressed partition beats me but you have to go with the flow.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I had the same problem when it was originally installed to a compressed folder. Re-installing to a non-compressed folder resolved it.George

Guest Shep

I used Acronis to load an image of the C: Partition, taken before I had any problems with FSX and FSX worked (FSX installed on F: - no compression). I then realised that I had installed a new 3rd party scenery and this linked to the attached message could well have been the problem. The Acronis image of the C: Partition would have contained a scenery.cfg that did not have the new scenery added.Ray

Guest Shep

It was nothing to do with the 3rd party scenery! It failed to load after reboot and I spent a full day setting FSX up perfectly after an uninstall/reinstall only to find it failed to load after a reboot again. All that seems to be left now is a format/reinstall of XP Pro unless anybody has anymore ideas. The C: drive has some compressed files but the drive FSX is installed on is not compressed.Ray

Guest Shep

Didn't need to try procmon, thanks Jim - I found the trouble. I started using the Microsoft Disc Cleanup tool a month or two ago, with the 'compress files older than.....to save disk space' As soon as I uncompressed them all, FSX now loads perfectly after a dozen or so cold/warm reboots (A long job but quicker than reformat/reinstall) Why FSX didn't work with compressed files on the C: drive when FSX itself is installed on a different drive is still a mystery but at least it's working. Thanks to all who replied with ideas.Ray