Sign in to follow this  
jd

Radar Contact for FSX available

Radar Contact Version 4.3 has been released, which will run with FSX. information about 4.3 can be found at www.jdtllc.com Craig

How is this product? Does it really work as advertised and does it require that i purchase any other addons? Is it seamless with fsx or does it run some type of program that has to be opened before i launch fsx? I also didnt see any place to purchase and download. Is this a cd based product only? Thanks. :)

RC turns MSFS ATC into real ATC!I would not fly (now) without it.IMO, it is a "must have", I think you would really enjoy it!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

>How is this product? Does it really work as advertised and>does it require that i purchase any other addons? Is it>seamless with fsx or does it run some type of program that has>to be opened before i launch fsx? I also didnt see any place>to purchase and download. Is this a cd based product only?>Thanks. :)It's a separate add on that runs as a separate program and communicates with flightsim via FSUIPC. There is a manual on their website, so you can familiarize yourself with how it works before buying. I have used it since version 3, and it's probably 80% of the way to simulating real ATC. The complete omission of VFR services and neglect of some aspects of flying into and out of uncontrolled fields are the only real issue that I have with it. Yes, it's CD only. In this day that stance doesn't make any sense to me, but the author has stuck to it.

Well i only fly vfr so does that mean that i would get no use out of this? I have no interest in ifr flights 99% of the time but would still like to communicate with atc the way its done irl. Does atc just ignore you if you are vfr or is there a menu to establish communications with them for entering class b or c airspace or for pattern work, etc?________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Same here, pretty much fly only vfr, but anytime I fly IFR I use Radar Contact. As stated above, it's about 80% of a complete ATC package.Best bet would be to read the manual and peruse the forum to get a better understanding of what it does and does not do and whether it meets your needs. For IFR though, it's a no brainer, excellent product with excellent support.Ian.

>vfr will be part of version 5. no time frame for release.Thanks, that's what i needed to know.

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Ok, my question,How does one interact with the ATC? Is it done through the same 0-9 menu type interface that the built in ATC uses?Just wondering because I'm in the middle of building a custom cockpit system and I included a 0-9 dedicated keypad for talking to the ATC and would hate to have to add something else at this point for interacting with RC's ATC.--Mike

you can set the menu options to respond to any character string, so 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0 are used6 is used for "unable"7 for acknowledge8 for "page back"9 for "page forward"0 for homethere are other functions that are used, like toggling the co-pilot to do the flying, or toggling the co-pilot to do the comms. those would not be available if you were limited to 0-9maybe a 0-F keypad ?jd

Guest Speed

>haven't tried amphibians>>jdhuh?!?! Didn't you develop the program?I will probably purchase now that there is a FSX upgrade but such a statement seems very odd and gives me pause.I previously thought RC didnt interact with FS's AI...maybe I'm thinking of VOX....anyway, its great that it does as many of us spend a lot of time making the perfect AI to share the skies with.Can you toggle the freeze AI on approach? That would seem less realistic to me and I've never experienced a runway incursion.

i've never flown an amphibian, to the best of my knowledge none of the beta testers have flown amphibians, i don't see that as a major concern.rc has been interacting with ai since version 3. you've never had a runway incursion. count yourself lucky. rc will keep ai from taxiing onto the runway when you are cleared to land, and rc will see ai landing, and not give you permission to "position and hold" or "line up and wait" (phraseology depends on locale you're departing)jd

Also, it basically replaces AISmooth and gets conflicting AI out of your way on final approach. Very usefull on a Friday night into Atlanta after a 10 hour real-time flight from Paris. I love tail-gateing a DAL MD-80 into Atlanta and then, all of the sudden, he's so scared, he zooms out of your way, LOL.... ;)You can also put RCv4 on a WideFS (Networked) PC and offload the overhead (minimal anyway) from the FS PC. I've been using RC for years and love it. I usually select "Full ILS" approach and fly my FMC programmed STAR and IAP all the way down. Yes, I prefer the big-irons and for this, RC is priceless.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE