Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

Rnav approach help

2 minutes ago, hangar said:

I think it may depend upon the specific approach/runway as well as I've seen what you describe where it gets pegged at the bottom

Read the previous post where this behavior is described in detail... I have yet to find an airport where this works correctly..

If you know of one, please post!

Bert

49 minutes ago, hangar said:

I did read it (the part about intercept alts?)...but maybe you didnt read my response all the way through?

My challenge was to name an airport where this works correctly.. 😕

Bert

Correctly as in real world where the intercepts are at the real world altitudes, no the altitude intercepts seem to be the FAF alt instead of IAF. But as long as you realize that then it WILL give you vertical guidance down to the runway. This really needs to be fixed of course, but for the folks wondering if there's any vertical guidance for RNAV approaches in the sim the answer is yes it works from the FAF to the runway.

For those who aren't getting any vertical guidance at or beyond the FAF then check the charts to see if the rnav approach you are using is WAAS enabled or not. It must say WAAS on the chart for there to be vertical guidance.

3 hours ago, hangar said:

but for the folks wondering if there's any vertical guidance for RNAV approaches in the sim the answer is yes it works from the FAF to the runway.

And before the FAF, you are on your own, with a misleading GS indicator to help you.. that is not exactly what an RNAV approach is supposed to accomplish..   Sorry! 😕

I stand by my previous comments:   RNAV is badly broken, right from day one to today.. 🙂

If you want to fly an approach in MSFS, fly an  ILS approach. It is not perfect, but at least useable, if you can accept the crazy loop course that it makes you fly to get to the IAF. 

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

And before the FAF, you are on your own, with a misleading GS indicator to help you.. that is not exactly what an RNAV approach is supposed to accomplish..   Sorry! 😕

I stand by my previous comments:   RNAV is badly broken, right from day one to today.. 🙂

If you want to fly an approach in MSFS, fly an  ILS approach. It is not perfect, but at least useable, if you can accept the crazy loop course that it makes you fly to get to the IAF. 

Let me see if I've got this clear. An ILS approach which sends a user around the sky is "not perfect, but at least useable" but a RNAV approach where a user needs to manually ensure they get to the FAF at the correct altitude but then works as expected is "badly broken". Is that correct?

Give people power to really test their personality.

I've had no issue flying the RNAV approaches as I step down following the IAP and the lateral navigation works fine.

The only system I've been able to use coupled RNAV GS with is the Modded g3000.

Randall Rocke

18 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

Let me see if I've got this clear. An ILS approach which sends a user around the sky is "not perfect, but at least useable" but a RNAV approach where a user needs to manually ensure they get to the FAF at the correct altitude but then works as expected is "badly broken". Is that correct?

The ILS and RNAV approaches both send a user around the sky, no difference.

But the ILS approach has a working glideslope indicator.. if that does not matter to you, I guess they are both good or bad, your pick.. 

Bert

14 hours ago, blista89 said:

Hi! I'm trying to learn RNAV approaches myself with the JustFlight Arrow, so thought I'd do a quick test and report back. I'm using the GNS530 without any mods.

I did a test flight from Lee on Solent (EGHF) departing runway 23 to Southampton (EGHI) landing runway 02. Southampton has RNAV on runway 02 and the chart is here.

I've taken a few screen shots and comments here.

Key points:

• The IF (BANTU) should be passed above 2,500ft according to the chart, but MSFS seems to be using the FAF (HI02F) height of 1,700ft for the entire first part of the approach.
  • Past the FAF the glideslope is correctly captured and you can follow the CDI down to the runway.

Hope the above helps!

I was unaware the JF Arrow's autopilot was able to capture and follow a glideslope.  I was under the impression there was no vertical guidance capabilities on it, other than ALT HOLD.  

7 hours ago, SamYeager said:

😁

7 hours ago, RandallR said:

I've had no issue flying the RNAV approaches as I step down following the IAP and the lateral navigation works fine

me too

@FakeWayne this was all hand flown, no autopilot. You're correct that the Arrow's autopilot only has Alt Hold (but even that is via a hidden switch as it doesn't appear in the real aircraft).

48 minutes ago, blista89 said:

@FakeWayne this was all hand flown, no autopilot. You're correct that the Arrow's autopilot only has Alt Hold (but even that is via a hidden switch as it doesn't appear in the real aircraft).

Got it.  Thanks for the clarification. 

I have no idea how many Rnav approaches I have flown  in the Arrow 3, in the last few weeks, never to the same airport. twice. I have yet to see any vertical guidance on any of these approaches. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have no idea how many Rnav approaches I have flown  in the Arrow 3, in the last few weeks, never to the same airport. twice. I have yet to see any vertical guidance on any of these approaches. 

Do you get an active GS indicator?

Bert

17 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Do you get an active GS indicator?

Nope, only time I have seen that is on an ILS. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310